Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2288 2289 [2290] 2291 2292 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382412 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34335 on: March 25, 2014, 10:10:57 pm »

At this point? Dudes probably just procastinatin'. "I'll come down laaaater. After Friends."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34336 on: March 25, 2014, 10:46:28 pm »

Re: Facebook's recent purchase history
Here's a poll for your consideration.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34337 on: March 25, 2014, 11:42:52 pm »

You know, with John Carmack at the helm theres still some redemption on this, that guy isn't going to let Oculus be plowed under easy.
Facebook needs to find new outlets, markets keep evolving so acquisitions come and go. This is probably the strangest one yet as these are vastly separate markets but hey, maybe Mark Zuckerberg felt generous and really wanted to see this blossom. The biggest push i seen from Facebook on hardware was that lame Facebook Button on phones or the oh so meh The Facebook Phone.

And think of this, Google has literally branched out everywhere on markets, why not Facebook? Why should we have only one behemoth? This isn't EA which strips all the joy out of a studio till it burns down. This isn't Yahoo where Mayer's pockets are for the lulls and just buys for the software and fires everybody This is Facebook. Facebook has kept their acquired companies alive for a while and integrated alot of their tech within their systems, they see money somewhere in this and i expect something good will come out of this. A parent company with alot of muscle can definitely accelerate development for Oculus and hell, this can be a sign that we will get a consumer version this year.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #34338 on: March 25, 2014, 11:46:01 pm »

Hey, how do you do that thing that makes it so when you mouse over a word you get a text box? The BBC sheet I'm looking at isn't helping. Reveal your secrets damn you!

Acronym tags. Remove the asterisk in the below:

[*acronym=yourtexthere][/acronym]
Almost forgot: Thanks boss! I still love your avatar, even if I only get to see it when you fly out of the clouds to laser BBCode into my eyeballs.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34339 on: March 25, 2014, 11:54:00 pm »

Hey, how do you do that thing that makes it so when you mouse over a word you get a text box? The BBC sheet I'm looking at isn't helping. Reveal your secrets damn you!

Acronym tags. Remove the asterisk in the below:

[*acronym=yourtexthere][/acronym]
Almost forgot: Thanks boss! I still love your avatar, even if I only get to see it when you fly out of the clouds to laser BBCode into my eyeballs.
I mouse'd over your entire response, hoping to find a hidden message.

I am disappoint, Gunin.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34340 on: March 26, 2014, 01:39:03 am »

I use [abbr]
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34341 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:48 am »

on the other hand it's a rather young field which in its early days had very few females.

Wrong.

Yes, it gives those who wouldn't have had an opportunity a chance...and it stunts the growth of those who could really have gone high. And all because they couldn't get their foot in.

Read this.

And this, and this.

And this, though this is relevant too.  Think about the impact of this in the workplace.

Perhaps some of that will help explain this.

Now try reading what you just said again, now that you've gotten a big fat dose of well-sourced science.  It's the privileged folks on the edge of just getting in whose growth is being stunted, and held back from "really going high?"  Are you fucking kidding me?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:55:07 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34342 on: March 26, 2014, 01:53:56 am »

Wow that SIRI article makes me rage.

"If you're looking for an action movie, you might more easily persuade a user if it's a male voice because it's a stereotypically male category of movies,"
said Takayama. "If you're looking at recipes, that might seem more credible from a female voice."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34343 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:36 am »

I seriously hate how gender differences divide the people. And when I say divide, I mean that its biased towards one gender or the other because of [stupid reasons]. And what characteristics they attribute to such genders as to make one higher over the other!

Wow!

Culture shock, ahoy.
In which the realization is deepened by how bad it is.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34345 on: March 26, 2014, 04:44:26 am »

I really seriously wonder where they dig up people that actually judge the competence of a System based on which gender provides the voice.

I mean, I know about discirmination in Workplaces. That stuff happens a ton. But its a MACHINE, why does it MATTER if it has a man or a womans voice? Are you afraid that SIRI will spray stingy liquid in your face as all the other women do, Florence?

From the other side of the retard-spectrum, I just heard an article on the Radio yesterday, about politicians that want to introduce this "female-quota" into businesses. Im not sure yet what I would rage at more, the fact that we reached a point where people can honestly suggest this without the entire court facepalming, or the idea itself.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34346 on: March 26, 2014, 05:45:53 am »

I seriously hate how gender differences divide the people.
*sighs* same here. I actually had a girl rant at me once when I held the door open for her at a store. Maybe she was just having a really, really bad day, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she claimed I was being chauvinistic and "perpetuating stereotypes"... I'd hold the door open for anyone, though, and tried to explain that to her, but to no avail. It was a weird experience.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:48:43 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34347 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:15 am »

on the other hand it's a rather young field which in its early days had very few females.

Wrong.
Okay, 'early days' was not the right word. But your link actually supports my point:
In 1967, despite the optimistic tone of Cosmopolitan’s “Computer Girls” article, the programming profession was already becoming masculinized.
Now, this happened in a discriminating way, but when the field started making ridiculous amounts of money it was male-heavy. Meaning that because of events back then today's top earners are more likely to be male. That 50% figure may very well be accurate, but it tells us little about the wage difference between males and females who are just getting into the field.
I don't want to end up next to Max though, so it might be better to drop this ;)

@other discrimination stuff: The same effects pop up in other places. Germany, for example, has a large Turkish population, because many people came from Turkey to work in the German factories in the 60s and 70s. The stereotype goes that they are lower-class and uneducated. Originally, that may have been justified (they were piss-poor immigrants from backwards areas who held the worst positions in the factories, after all), but after 2-3 generations, there's loads of Turkish doctors, tradesmen, lawyers, you name it. Because of the stereotype, however, job applications with a Turkish-sounding name are rejected more often that applications with a German-sounding name, even if the rest is exactly the same. That's why there's discussion about introducing pseudonymized applications, but there's still the interviews...
Now, I ask you: What's the better solution - anonymized applications or a quota for Turkish people?
My point is: People generally let their opinion of an individual be influenced by their opinion of the group the individual belongs to. That's sensible if they know nothing else about them; but if they continue to let that happen even after aquiring better information, that's discrimination. It's kinda like Bayesian statistics...

TL;DR: We're hardwired to act as was described above, and it's not generally a bad thing; it just reflects our perception of society. We must be careful however to not let that way of thinking influence how we deal with individuals.

FAKEEDIT: That article seems... dubious, at least in parts.
Eager to identify talented individuals to train as computer programmers, employers relied on aptitude tests to make hiring decisions. With their focus on mathematical puzzle-solving, the tests may have favored men, who were more likely to take math classes in school. - See more at: http://gender.stanford.edu/news/2011/researcher-reveals-how-%E2%80%9Ccomputer-geeks%E2%80%9D-replaced-%E2%80%9Ccomputergirls%E2%80%9D#sthash.oJ2Zy1gu.dpuf
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34349 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:19 am »

Helgoland, no offense but let me put this in your face that the basis of 'this profession started out as male-dominant' has no correlation at all to how it, and specifically its treatment of who works in said profession, is today.

Or if you disagree, please expound and explain because I can in no way see how that makes sense.
And by that, I mean what characteristics are valued to further that kind of ideal.
TL;DR: We're hardwired to act as was described above, and it's not generally a bad thing; it just reflects our perception of society. We must be careful however to not let that way of thinking influence how we deal with individuals.
Ignorance is the best barrier we've to overcome to stand on equal grounds. u_u

Or in the least, being open-minded.

Edit: This is relevant to the thread because it makes me RAEG. :I
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:34:18 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 2288 2289 [2290] 2291 2292 ... 3345