Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2294 2295 [2296] 2297 2298 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3381745 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Reflex Edition
« Reply #34425 on: March 27, 2014, 07:36:33 pm »

... regardless of if you are or not, what you wrote read like something straight out of the mouth of a massive islamophobe, right down to the parallels involving terrorism. I wouldn't call it something to take personally, just to take note of, and perhaps find a different way of communicating the point you're trying to make if the misunderstanding troubles you.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34426 on: March 27, 2014, 07:37:34 pm »

People are usually unaware of the nonsense they absorb, in particular because people content themselves by saying: "Now, I'm not [...]ist.  If I were [...]ist, I'd be doing [insert worse thing here]."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #34427 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:22 pm »

I'd say you come across as a somewhat... bitter person when it comes to some of your follow island denizens.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34428 on: March 27, 2014, 07:44:20 pm »

Ah. Right.

So you agree with Descan then? Despite me highlighting the need for a better education system that embraces both religions and cultures? Despite me saying that the British were wrong to persecute?

I suppose I always thought of Bay12 as a sort of haven where you could post and people would support you. If not your view, at least in not showing derision.

"Nonsense they absorb," these are still my views.

And yes, I'm bitter. My family has been killed and my culture spat upon. My mother nearly got killed in an IRA bomb. My uncle was killed. But I understand the need for progression. Hence the desire for there not to be separate catholic schools.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34429 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:53 pm »

Earlier I was joking because I didn't think you seriously thought the Irish were savages. Now? Not so sure.

He's said that it wasn't the irish he disliked. It was the terrorist group that planted bombs and murdered people. You can't say this shit didn't happen, because it did - bombs and kidnapping were their calling cards. And it still hasn't stopped. Even now, they find bombs, men are shot down in the streets because they're policemen.

The majority of Northern Irelanders want to be british. The IRA disagreed, so they planted bombs and murdered people. That is fact. That isn't the 'Irish being savages' or whatever you think he's saying. Is the work of good people to plant explosives in shopping centres? If you can work out the answer to that you can see why to call the IRA 'heroes' is laughable.

I get ya, DwArfy, even if they want to typecast you as a racist :/
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34430 on: March 27, 2014, 07:49:46 pm »

Hence the desire for there not to be separate catholic schools.
You do realize that that's just water on their mills, don't you?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34431 on: March 27, 2014, 07:56:44 pm »

He's said that it wasn't the irish he disliked.
I, uh. I think this may be the problem, because I didn't actually see TD1 say that. It's entirely possible I missed that bit, or aren't fully understanding some of the cultural/lingual nuance in D's statements.

I don't think anyone would disagree the IRA were by and large stereotypical terrorist scum, but there's a problem when you equate Irish to IRA, as part of the same statements that deny there are any Irish in Ireland. That's... actually the sort of thing that would set folks around here off. It's what set Desc off, I believe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34432 on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »

British plantation saw a land of tribes. No agriculture, no crops. Essentially savages. The British essentially brought civilization. Initially, the British treated the Irish badly, which is unforgivable. But the Irish never seemed to grasp the concept of future generations having nothing to do with the past.
[...]
They're breeding a social division which needn't exist.
Gilgamesh, those were the things I was talking about. I'm not a fan of terrorists, so I have nothing against him hating the IRA, but typecasting the entire Irish culture as "savages before the British came"...

Edit: Yeah, Frump gets it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34433 on: March 27, 2014, 08:28:11 pm »

Just saw this from a friend, so I'm gonna rage like a berserker with some junk I've had pent up...

I've got this "friend" of mine who I had strong feelings for and I asked her out, and I ended up getting rejected because she wasn't looking for a relationship. No big deal, but to be a good friend (because at the time, she was very kind to me and probably one of my best friends at the time) I bought her flowers for valentines day, just to be nice (yellow roses to show friendship). Due to delivery charges with her living a town away and the skewing of prices for the flowers, I spent over 100$ on a bouquet for her. She received it, and me being shy and having zero confidence, I didn't attach a name to it. A friend told me I should tell her it was me so that this other guy, who was also after her and she declined as well, wouldn't take the credit.

I told her, and it all went downhill from here. First, she didn't say thank you for the flowers, she merely said "you're a friend and that's all you'll ever be". First, I never said it was because I wanted to get with her, secondly, I said it was a friendly gesture. So after that, she ignores me, and I thought "maybe its just awkward for her". But when she DID start talking to me, it was always for favors and giving her stuff. Never a thank you for any of them either. The best part was at one point, I was holding on to something for her, and I told her via text I had some cards (magic: the gathering players) a friend was giving her that he hut off to me so she can get them and she acknowledged me. March break passes, and not a peep from her save two days before the break ended where she needed me again for something (apparently I was marked as the parent for her Wii-U). The guy who gave me the cards to pass on gets pissed at me saying it was my fault that she didn't get them, and says she said she had no idea I had them. I realized now that she's pulling the bitch card now, and when I sent him proof (aka my text and her acknowledgement in a picture) he said I faked it because the line before says we hadn't spoken in weeks. Are you seriously that fucking stupid!?

So I try and avoid them all because during a D&D game, I played out my evil character and killed another PC who not only threatened but actually beat up my character, and everyone got mad at me and literally avoided any contact with my new character (since the killer was sent away because the DM took over him). I know roleplay-wise they are more wary, but when you completely ignore a guy you run into, that's ridiculous! Regardless, I avoided them and that girl I spoke of previously since they all hang out in the same place on top of avoiding another guy who is literally trying to get me kicked out by getting me mad enough that I kick the shit out of him. So I go with some old friends, and I have a good time for a few days... And I have no idea what I did, but they tell me never to come back where they hang out or one of their friends will kill me. I drop one group to avoid drama and hate and WHAM! Get shot into ANOTHER group!

So now I'm at a dilemma of two options: do I face the group of people who hate me and want nothing to do with me, or deal with a guy who everyone says will LITERALLY bash my skull in? It gets me even more angry just thinking about how much bullshit I put up with... And another rage moment, because I'm on a roll, my Xbox will not update, connect to my internet and I just bought battlefield 4 before I realized that my Xbox live account was deleted and Microsoft WILL NOT give me any compensation EVEN WITH PROOF VIA PHOTOS. I swear, either my life is a fucking joke or gods love shitting on me...

Sincerest apologies for the rage, but it feels good to vent into writing...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34434 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:04 pm »

While nobody has the right to say that you are unjustified in your hate of IRA, I believe many people are not mollified by how you make parralells between those terrorist bastards and the general Irish populace.

Please, Dwarfy, don't equate Irish with the IRA. The IRA is an occupation, while Irish is an ethnicity, and those two have absolutely nothing in common. We have Irish here in Russia, which is pretty far from where they originate, so methinks you'd have quite a few more of them in Northern Ireland, and the absolute majority of them, I am sure, are not terrorists. The only thing they share are progenitors, and I am sure you agree it's silly to think that people are defined by their long-dead great-great-great grandfathers.

And if you referred to nationality with your rant about "Irish", my argument remains the same. Every country and nation has a bunch of radical idiots who think that killing people will somehow promote Great Justice, and while there is correlation, there is absolutely no causation between the number of those idiots and their nationality. We have people like that in Chechnya, but it's not because they're Chechen, it's because of their misplaced, vitriolic nationalism. If you take a Chechen man, or an Irish man, and raise him, for example, in America, he is almost certain to never shoot anyone in his entire life (barring game animals, of course).

So yeah. Please don't hate Irish. They are not IRA.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:51:39 pm by Knit tie »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34435 on: March 27, 2014, 10:35:26 pm »

<snip>
Firstly, roleplay melodrama seems to basically be an endemic issue to roleplay groups. I think it's because it tends to draw together groups of people who are not great at dealing with things like interpersonal issues.
Bad communication and drama seems to be inevitable.

Secondly, I know you just wanted to show affection and all, but the flowers thing seriously looks bad from my perspective.
I mean I know that it's usually depicted as kind of a romantic thing in movies, but in real life anonymous gifts of affections tend to be really creepy. Then you apparently came forward and took credit so someone else couldn't... and seemed to expect thanks in return? Which sort of has bad undertones for how you're approaching the situation.

I don't know, I never feel like I have enough information to make solid judgements about these situations. It's just my 2 cents.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34436 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:33 pm »

<snip>
Secondly, I know you just wanted to show affection and all, but the flowers thing seriously looks bad from my perspective.
I mean I know that it's usually depicted as kind of a romantic thing in movies, but in real life anonymous gifts of affections tend to be really creepy. Then you apparently came forward and took credit so someone else couldn't... and seemed to expect thanks in return? Which sort of has bad undertones for how you're approaching the situation.
Quote from: Google
Today yellow roses are more commonly associated with joy and friendship. A bouquet of yellow roses now brings to mind all of the sunny, cheerful feelings of warmth and happiness. In contrast to the romantic meanings attributed to other roses, the yellow rose is purely a symbol for friendship.
The way I see it, highmax28 was reaching out to comfort his friend. Maybe the delivery was not stellar, but nobody's perfect.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #34437 on: March 27, 2014, 10:57:03 pm »

Yeah, but unless they happen to know something about the symbology of flowers, I don't think most people are going to get that off hand. And he was also insistent that she knew they were totally not someone else's friendship flowers, so there may be some latent feelings there not being addressed.

In personal rage, today I noticed that there is a somewhat large scratch on my glasses lense, which I did not notice until after I went to the eye doctor. I very much suspect that the frames adjuster lady scratched them while adjusting them, though I didn't want to make a fuss over it since they are under warrant, and I did make her put on and take off nosepads for the things to see if I could stand them nowadays (they still feel weird to me).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34438 on: March 28, 2014, 09:05:11 am »

Just processed an video on youtube and its turned out to only be an 2 seconds recording, time to get back in video editor and process it once more...
*10 minutes later*
Bloody hell, DONT CRASH NOW, we are just half way done ARRRRGGG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34439 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:21 am »

Stupid compulsory car insurance. If the government wants to force me to have something, they should pay for it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2294 2295 [2296] 2297 2298 ... 3345