Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2321 2322 [2323] 2324 2325 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383348 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: You Just Don't Get It Edition
« Reply #34830 on: April 09, 2014, 04:26:20 am »

Sounds like a hormones thing.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34831 on: April 09, 2014, 04:31:05 am »

I wish there was some business or service were you could hire a midget to bash someone's face with a baseball bat and then tell them what a piece of crap they were.
I should start this business. [/slowpoke]
I never knew you were a midget, MZ.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #34832 on: April 09, 2014, 06:28:59 am »

In the UK, by age 16 to 18, girls outperform boys across the board by 10 to 15%. Guys tend to catch up by 21 though...
They've done really badly this year for some reason in 16 - 18. Something something I blame facebook.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34833 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:41 am »

Funnily enough there have been several studies showing that at this point teacher's have done so much affirmative action for girls in lower school grades (making an effort to call on girls, etc.) that we've actually reached the point where they are starting to suggest the opposite, that teachers need to make an effort to focus on guy education in order to ensure that they succeed.

In the UK, by age 16 to 18, girls outperform boys across the board by 10 to 15%. Guys tend to catch up by 21 though...
Don't forget how a large number of high school guys act like lazy idiots, even if they aren't.

At least, that's how it is where I "learn".

So, I have this annoying student teacher who'll be around for a month. She makes us take like twice the number of notes our actual one does. I never even use notes, I just learn the stuff the first time around.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #34834 on: April 09, 2014, 11:43:06 am »

Funnily enough there have been several studies showing that at this point teacher's have done so much affirmative action for girls in lower school grades (making an effort to call on girls, etc.) that we've actually reached the point where they are starting to suggest the opposite, that teachers need to make an effort to focus on guy education in order to ensure that they succeed.

Don't forget how a large number of high school guys act like lazy idiots, even if they aren't.

At least, that's how it is where I "learn".

So, I have this annoying student teacher who'll be around for a month. She makes us take like twice the number of notes our actual one does. I never even use notes, I just learn the stuff the first time around.
The best teachers I've ever had are men, simply because of their gender and subsequent out-look on life. I'm sure that something similar happens for girls. Majority of teachers are women, however. I only have one male teacher at the minute.

And there will never be true equality, because there's a reason people are split into genders, not just the observable physicality. Women tend  not to be as strong as men. Men tend not to be as flexible as women. This is why women are less likely to be builders, or haulers, and men are less likely to be acrobats. Genders think differently, too. Not alien thoughts, similar, but different.

Equality is a noble pursuit, but based on the principle that the people are originally the same. What should be worked towards in equal opportunity, not the deliberate cultivation of genders in certain areas. If they're good at it, let 'em do it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34835 on: April 09, 2014, 11:51:54 am »

Ah, I was wondering when biological essentialism would rear its head. There are a couple fundamental issues with that view.

First, it's a massive generalization, to an outright painful degree, and not even really rooted in good science. A substantial part of the division of labor along gendered lines is fundamentally a social construct, and the bits that aren't are less than relevant to a society with even simple machines. Second, though people arguing for it like to put it in terms of the "men strong, women limber" stereotypes, this is the exact same sort of argument that's been used for centuries to relegate women to homemaking and child care. Hell, less than half a century ago an attorney trying to get elected as a DA ran campaign ads suggesting that his (female) opponent was too nice to be a good DA. It's the exact same reasoning that was used to deny suffrage and employment in business, law, etc. to women, on the grounds of them being naturally suited to other things.

tl;dr: biological essentialism is bullshit used to perpetuate repressive social norms.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34836 on: April 09, 2014, 11:57:37 am »

How did you get "Repressive" from what I said?

And I'm afraid it is a brute fact. Women and men are different. Do you want me to run through the difference between a man's anatomy and a woman's anatomy? Would you say a cow and a bull are the same? Would you say that women tend to be as tall as, as strong as, men?

There are differences.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34837 on: April 09, 2014, 12:26:18 pm »

The differences between "average man" and "average woman" are nothing compared to the range within the genders you can get. There's no reason to take gender as any indicator of anything.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34838 on: April 09, 2014, 12:26:40 pm »

Is the average man stronger than the average woman? Probably.

But why is this so? An inherent psychiological difference or merely the fact that men are more socially pressured to be ripped than woman, who are supposed to be thin and fragile?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34839 on: April 09, 2014, 12:28:20 pm »

Is the average man stronger than the average woman? Probably.

But why is this so? An inherent psychiological difference or merely the fact that men are more socially pressured to be ripped than woman, who are supposed to be thin and fragile?
I'd tend to go down the evolution road. Women stayed behind, had children. Men went out, and if they weren't strong they died.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34840 on: April 09, 2014, 12:35:25 pm »

Research: What happens at puberty.

I dislike how you state exacts. 'Supposed'?
Really now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34841 on: April 09, 2014, 12:39:21 pm »

Guys, seriously. This debate has been going on for several pages now, and I'd rather it be in its own thread. Otherwise it will drag on forever here until it eventually gets moderated.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34842 on: April 09, 2014, 01:16:40 pm »

Yes, let's move that discussion to a dedicated thread.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34843 on: April 09, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

I'll make it.

Names, anyone?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34844 on: April 09, 2014, 01:33:11 pm »

Beards vs. Boobs: Bay12 feminism thread.
Pages: 1 ... 2321 2322 [2323] 2324 2325 ... 3345