Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2361 2362 [2363] 2364 2365 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382830 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: IT'S FULL OF SPIDERS! Edition
« Reply #35430 on: April 21, 2014, 09:56:08 am »

Yeah, no, see, I am usually doing things when I'm at home. Somebody showing up unannounced interrupts whatever I had planned for the day. Even if I like seeing somebody as a general thing, showing up without warning implies they don't really give a shit about what I wanted to do, which is not a pleasant experience.

Imo, showing up unannounced means the person has volunteered to either help me with whatever I'm doing, or do the things I would do if I wasn't doing whatever I would doing.

"Oh hey! Glad you're here. I was about to throw dinner on, but I've got some stuff to fill out anyway, so can you get that for me? Thanks - ingredients are ready to go, just boil 'em up and fry 'em. The pot you'll need is dirty though, so you will have wash some dishes first. But thanks for coming by! You're a real life saver, I didn't know how I was gonna get this all done today."

:)

Either the person is helpful, or they learn not to make visits without insuring "washing dishes" isn't one of the planned activities. Win-win.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35431 on: April 21, 2014, 10:04:42 am »

My mother just turned up, completely unannounced and without notice, and expected me to be happy to see her.
I hate unexpected visits. Why is 'surprising' someone seen as a nice thing to do? She couldn't even text me to say she was coming or anything. -_-
I feel a bit sorry for your mother, Yoink. She probably thought you were lonely on Easter and would appreciate seeing her. I'd be pretty furious if what I thought was an act of good will were snubbed.

I'm not saying she did the right thing in turning up out of the blue; I'd like some knowledge before hand myself. Still, you may have hurt her feelings a bit there  :-\
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35432 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:07 am »

So I got my calculus test, on integration, back. The best thing I can say is that I didn't fail. I went through the processes correctly, but made truly idiotic mistakes along the way on every single problem. I forgot to add a constant when evaluating the indefinite integrals, I made lots of sign errors, and for some reason I thought ∫e-x = (e-x)/-x. It's a good thing I got decent grades on the other two tests, or I'd be screwed when the final rolls around.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35433 on: April 21, 2014, 12:22:12 pm »

Reminds me of something that happened to me recently.
1. Unplug mouse.
2. Plug mouse in another USB port
3. Computer spends 10 minutes finding drivers for said mouse
4. Computer then tells me that it has to restart.

Gj microsoft

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35434 on: April 21, 2014, 01:28:19 pm »

Yesterday a friend told me that there was a Pathfinder game today.

I phoned the host to make sure it actually was, and basically got 'what the hell are you talking about?'.

At least I made sure before going. I'd rather look like a partial ass on the phone than a complete ass in person.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35435 on: April 21, 2014, 01:31:25 pm »

My old mouse and keyboard would do that too.

I don't know if my current one would as well, but the problem with the old ones were that they were wired, and the USB port, or the USB hub I use (because all the other ports are basically broken) was on it's last legs, so every so often it would be all "Wait, this is a port? No it isn't." so I'd have to fuck around with it.

Pulling on the wires is what I think caused that, so by getting rid of the wires, I no longer have to deal with it! Hooray!

godsIneedanewcomputer.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35436 on: April 21, 2014, 01:37:18 pm »

Quote from: That link
If given the go-ahead it would allow HMRC to release anonymous tax data to third parties including companies, researchers and public bodies.

But former Conservative minister David Davis told the Guardian the plans were "borderline insane".

An HMRC spokesman said "no final decisions" had been taken, and it was committed to "confidentiality".
If they thought of this, then no they aren't.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35437 on: April 21, 2014, 01:45:07 pm »

Government has been selling its citizens out to business for decades. Now we've just reached the point in our history where they feel comfortable enough to do it in the open.

If they wanted to do this equitably they'd allow individual citizens to sell their own data. But no, that would make too much sense, and put money in the hands of people it rightfully belongs to.

Honestly I don't know why business hasn't already gone this way. People would be more willing to offer up all sorts of data if they're fiscally motivated to do so. But when you try to take it from them, without their permission, on the sly, only the truly clueless are ok with it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35438 on: April 21, 2014, 02:24:24 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27086401

Are... are they morons?

Actually, yes. They are, come to think of it. They're high up in a government department.
Greedy, stupid - does it make a difference?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35439 on: April 21, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »

My roommate's cat will start reaching under the door and meowing until I open it, at which point she will look up at me, feebly meow one final time, and run away. I checked her food and water, she's fine on both, and when I try to pet her, she runs under the furniture and cowers away from my hand.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #35440 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:59 pm »

*slips on his old man hat*

Dear local and franchise computer stores in my area:

Go fuck yourselves.

There was a time, once, where when I would visit you, you'd have something. May not have been the best selection, but at least there was one.

What the fuck are you today? Best Buy is now a Phone, Tablet and TV store. Oh, they carry a couple PC parts. From exactly two manufacturers. All I wanted was a simple, light, usb keyboard.

What am I offered?

Overpriced wireless media keyboard/mouse combos, targeted at people who don't know shit about computers. Oh, and one by Dynex, the exact same company who made the keyboard I just broke. The keyboard I bought a few ago after, again, being frustrated at being able to find a good one. The one offered was also a keyboard/mouse combo. Ah well, I say, Best Buy stopped being a place for PC builders to buy from years ago. Surely one of my local computer shops still carries something.

Wrong. They carry 1 brand, of a generic, no name manufacturer also selling wireless keyboard/mouse combos. I didn't even bother with the other place, they don't even carrry merchandise. I'm pretty sure DTI closed their doors years ago and only operates a warehouse that doesn't do walkins. They're all eerily arranged the same too; lots of open space dominated by tables with monitors and price tags next to them. Nothing racked. Nothing hanging, nothing displayed.

These places literally exist to prey on the weak and stupid these days. They're there to overcharge elderly people for "fixing their computers" and to build them overpriced systems, with cheap hardware, bought at the lowest possible price, and sold for 175% profit. Or they're there just as a physical space for the new ****ing iPhone to be sold.

Meanwhile, I go online to find a keyboard and it's the exact opposite problem. Tons of seriously expensive mechanical keyboards, with HUDs, light up displays, 2x the amount of buttons as a standard QWERTY keyboard because you need hot buttons to, for example, instantly put your computer to sleep, probably while you're doing something important. Not even Newegg specs out the two things I care most about: weight and cord length. I'm about ready to buy one from the only manufacturer who bothered to put that info on the product page.

This is what I get, apparently, for just not buying the cheapest, shittiest $20 USB keyboard I could find. Searching for something that actually deserves my money only shows me how much stuff out there isn't, how completely fucking feckless any place billing itself as a computer store is these days, and how bloated and expensive everything supposedly targeted at "enthusiasts" is online.

I'd seriously knife a BB employee today if a Fry's would open up in my town. No idea if Fry's is as big a piece of shit as every other computer chain now. But the last time I was there, a decade ago, it was magical. Racks and racks of hardware, all there for your perusal and discerning selection. No fucking jerk off 16 year old trying to lie to you about what he thinks he knows about computers. No egregious use of floor space, where 75% of the floor is given over to giant tablet, phone and laptop displays. At this point, I'm probably going find a better selection at Staples or Office Max. Hell, that's where I had to go to find a copy of Windows 7, because Best Buy sure as shit doesn't carry it!

I mean, I get it. No one can make money on PC hardware anymore out of a brick and mortar store. But why even fucking bother then. Get out of the goddamn game entirely. Don't lie to me with your marketing saying "If you need it, we got it!" because I know that's bullshit. I actually bought memory at Best Buy, once. I know what a phrase like that should translate to. But BB stopped selling that level of hardware a decade ago. And now I can't even try to buy a keyboard without wanting to set the fucking building on fire. If Brick & Mortar wants to know why online has gotten all my business, it's because of fucking days like this.

Now back to the internet, the only place the supposed PC "master race" can shop, to overpay for some feature-bloated keyboard. Screw it, maybe spending money like I care isn't actually worth it when it comes to something as basic as a peripheral.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:05:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35441 on: April 21, 2014, 05:54:09 pm »

My local PC store started selling such wonders that were sure to catch on such as 3d tvs for £4,000. They went out of business, which actually sucks for me because now there are no local electronic stores that don't just sell phones or shitty macs.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35442 on: April 21, 2014, 06:39:54 pm »

Shopping with my mother is a mix of wtf and annoyance.

She isn't a person you can walk around with. Walk beside her and she'll freak out about you being too close, even when going through a narrow aisle. Walk behind her and get scolded.

Only chinks walk in lines she says, rather loudly. Chinks and slaves. Even when I was little she would tell me this on shopping trips.

She then complained that I walk like a robot and need to change how I walk.

As for the WTF, since there's no point in making two different posts on one subject, she found a carpet she liked. It was roughly five feet by seven feet. "Is it five feet wide or five feet long?"

I don't know. Does it matter? Just turn the damn thing.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35443 on: April 21, 2014, 08:41:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently grammar is racist.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile