Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382504 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: IT'S FULL OF SPIDERS! Edition
« Reply #35445 on: April 21, 2014, 08:45:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently grammar is racist.
I call poe/satire.
I call love for stupidity instead. :v
Because I really love how this person assumes malevolence when there is none.[/sarcasm]
At least the stance presented is...solid. >_>

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35446 on: April 21, 2014, 08:52:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Apparently grammar is racist.
I call poe/satire.
I call love for stupidity instead. :v
Because I really love how this person assumes malevolence when there is none.[/sarcasm]
At least the stance presented is...solid. >_>
Personally, I don't think it makes sense. For one thing, grammar can actually be semi-important, whereas race and gender are irrelevant 99.99% of the time.

Also, that's the biggest generalization I've seen today.

If they're not comparing grammar to racism (just saying that disliking poor grammar makes you racist), then... what?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:55:17 pm by Elephant Parade »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #35447 on: April 21, 2014, 08:55:02 pm »

I meant that people who care about grammar or punctuation are assumed to have some malevolent motive behind it?
...Which is somehow also put towards people who love logic or intellect (or wisdom, philosophy and such things?)
Hence why I said stupidity :/ Lacking context--it doesn't look like there's anything good from that image other than someone assuming ulterior motives.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35448 on: April 21, 2014, 08:56:51 pm »

I meant that people who care about grammar or punctuation are assumed to have some malevolent motive behind it?
...Which is somehow also put towards people who love logic or intellect (or wisdom, philosophy and such things?)
Hence why I said stupidity :/ Lacking context--it doesn't look like there's anything good from that image other than someone assuming ulterior motives.
I wasn't responding to what you said, really. I was more stating my opinion on the original image. You just happened to be the most recent poster. Looking at that post, I can understand how it can be misinterpreted, since the context isn't fully included.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35449 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:36 pm »

Yeah it's an attempt at satire. They're equating caring about classism/racism/what have you to anti-intellectualism.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35450 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:03 pm »

You're all a bunch of Grammar Nazis.

My roommate's cat will start reaching under the door and meowing until I open it, at which point she will look up at me, feebly meow one final time, and run away. I checked her food and water, she's fine on both, and when I try to pet her, she runs under the furniture and cowers away from my hand.

She probably just wants the door to be open. Not liking closed doors desk to be a rather common cat thing, for reasons that elude me. She might just want to check that you're there and that she isn't alone or something too, even if she doesn't want to be petted.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35451 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:11 pm »

You're all a bunch of Grammar Nazis.

My roommate's cat will start reaching under the door and meowing until I open it, at which point she will look up at me, feebly meow one final time, and run away. I checked her food and water, she's fine on both, and when I try to pet her, she runs under the furniture and cowers away from my hand.

She probably just wants the door to be open. Not liking closed doors desk to be a rather common cat thing, for reasons that elude me. She might just want to check that you're there and that she isn't alone or something too, even if she doesn't want to be petted.
Cats....have feelings?  :o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Foamybeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KEK in all things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35452 on: April 21, 2014, 10:09:47 pm »

I spent 20$ on a WoWTCG card from Troll and Toad ten days ago - It was supposed to be here on the 18th. I've gotten no word on what the fuck caused it to be late, and since I've never used Ebay before, I have no idea how to say "Dude, what the fuck?"

FUCKING 20$. >_< It is't much in the Long run but considering how much I make a week, it is kind of a big fucking deal.
Dwarf Fortress Immortality: Cask of Amontillado-ing all your dwarves.
I'm trying to figure out how creeping eyes vomit despite not having a mouth.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35453 on: April 22, 2014, 03:37:52 am »

Cats....have feelings?  :o

Yes. They're animals. Animals generally have feelings.
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35454 on: April 22, 2014, 06:56:37 am »

Those aren't feelings, those are goals. Don't go around pretending our close relatives don't have the basically same kind of feelings as we because they lack our language features and/or can't compute as abstractly.
Love, scriver~

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #35455 on: April 22, 2014, 07:42:50 am »

Welp... It looks like part of the reason why the ferry fell on its side was because the first sailor turned the autopilot off in a region where even seasoned captains keep it on and tried to guide the heavy, top-loaded ferry around whirlpools between the tiny islands the ferry wasn't supposed to go through anyways, and accidentally turned it so fast that the improperly secured cars and containers slid to the side (because he bumped into a rock or something and was startled), knocking the ship over and causing water to seep in. The ship would have sunk much slower if the ship wasn't knocked over.

And more reasons why the casualties were so high include the fact that the SOS button didn't work, the first sailor figured out that it didn't work and called the water traffic control that was further from the ship, the WTC contacted the closer WTC nearly 10 minutes later, the captain hightailed out of the boat for no reason, the public announcement system stopped working after the sailors told the passengers to 'stay put for now' but before they could confirm that the ship was unsalvagable, the fact that most of the passengers were high school students that were prone to listening to authority, that they were on the 4th floor of the ship (instead of the 3rd or 2nd), ... Sufficient lifeboats were onboard, but they were too old and didn't deploy. Besides, they were quickly suspended multiple meters above the surface.

The only reason some students actually lived is because they decided to try to escape anyways, instead of trusting the announcement. A tragic part of this accident is that because the ship was in cellular signal range, the parents of the children received multiple messages while the ship was sinking. :(

Friggin normal accidents. They only happen when a bunch of mistakes synergize with each other. Human error plus mechanical error is the recipe for death.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35456 on: April 22, 2014, 09:09:47 am »

*snip*
When I need cheap peripherals, I usually loot the EP. :V

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35457 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:52 am »

"MGS:GZ is too short even for $30"
I'm not going to claim that Ground Zeroes has as much content as a full MGS game. It doesn't need to have that much content because Ground Zeroes costs less than half the price of a full MGS game. I payed $100 for Red Faction: Guerrilla at launch and I finished it in six hours.

What they wrote: "I'm going to quit playing video games because they have micro-transactions in them. I don't remember video games asking me to pay more when I was a kid."
What I saw: "I'm going to stop eating meat pies because some shops want me to pay extra for tomato sauce."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35458 on: April 22, 2014, 10:44:44 am »

Depends on their age.
Still a stupid argument against microtransactions, and even a loose threat.
Most microtransactions are shit, but they can be done right. TF2 is a good example.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35459 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27:30 am »

I payed $100 for Red Faction: Guerrilla at launch
What

What they wrote: "I'm going to quit playing video games because they have micro-transactions in them. I don't remember video games asking me to pay more when I was a kid."
What I saw: "I'm going to stop eating meat pies because some shops want me to pay extra for tomato sauce."
I've boycotted Cadburys to this day simply because they sold out to America, and this is a helluva lot more of a tricky issue with legitimate criticisms abound. There's a big difference between a game that exists just to wring money out of the consumer and others like Guild Wars 2 or Eve that at least have figured out a balanced way to pursue the microtransaction business model. When you make a subpar game that is priced above its worth, expect a well deserved backlash.
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 3345