Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2391 2392 [2393] 2394 2395 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382322 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Mnt Dew & Circuses Edition
« Reply #35880 on: May 02, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »

Keep in mind that there's as much pressure on American politicians to at least appear to be Christian as there is for them to be family-friendly, pro-Israel, &c. It's actually less damaging for a politician's career if they're openly gay than if they're openly atheistic; I recall seeing an interview by one former congressman who came out of the closet a few decades ago but didn't even consider admitting that he was an atheist until he was retired. And yes, 'admitting' is correct language--Christianity is best, but having no religion at all is tantamount to being a convicted sex offender in most electoral districts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35881 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:38 pm »

I am of the opinion that Obama was voted in by racists.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35882 on: May 02, 2014, 12:36:30 pm »

It's a Christian country.
No, it most certainly is not, Christian political stranglehold or no.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35883 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:01 pm »

Its not hard to find a person who will say 'the usa was founded on christian principles' or soemthing like that.
Its much harder to find someone who knows what they're talking about who'll say that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35884 on: May 02, 2014, 12:42:19 pm »

THIS TURNED INTO A RANT ABOUT THE BASIS OF MORALITY, AND WHAT'S MORE, IT'S A BIT OF ASS-PULL AND "JUST-SO" STORY TELLING. I COULD BE OFF-BASE COMPLETELY, WOO!

Anyway, the reason politicians need to have *some* religion to get elected, is because people still hold to the idea that you need to get your morals from some book, religion, or pulpit/priest, even if it's not their book. For them, morals just HAVE to be external, you can't trust your own judgement, they have to come from God!

Somehow, they never stop and think "Hey, maybe there's a reason that all these heathen religions have pretty much exactly the same morals as my religion..," or of the fact that almost every Christian does a pick-and-choose of the morals in the bible, and all the rest are "allegory" or "It was specific to the times, not a generalized rule!" despite that not actually being written into the book and for the most part, there's no real difference in context or concept for the morals in the book they follow versus the ones they don't. I.E. they're trusting their own judgement, and just think they're trusting the judgement of the book/priest.

Maybe, instead of coming from some God or written into the books as a novel idea, it's because most if not all the hard-core morals like "Don't steal, don't kill, respect [your elders]/[good people]/[respecting people being a good thing go do in general], stick with your tribe, help your fellow people, follow the Golden Rule of "Do unto others as you would have done to you", etc." are fairly ingrained into human beings, such as a genetic level? And the religions just codified them into rules, piggy-backing on things people generally already knew and accepted. So someone who doesn't believe in a religion would still have the same core of gut-instinct morality.

And the other morals, the ones that differ on a cultural basis like how you treat homosexuals (Abrahamic versus Greek versus Native American, for example), or certain animals being unclean, or how you treat your elders, depend on situational-to-the-culture factors. Such as nomadic cultures abandoning the elderly if they cannot make the yearly migration: No sedentary culture would do that, and it horrifies us, because our elderly are venerated or at least cared for because they helped with teaching the children and a long life-span of survival knowledge and cultural knowledge (Obviously before the last 200 years with the advent of medical science and centralized, professional healthcare, if you survive to 70 years old you must know SOMETHING to keep you alive). We don't have great hurdles that are make-or-break you that the elderly MUST participate in, so we don't need to cut them off like nomadic herdsmen do if they cannot survive the hurdle. (You don't often see the elderly in the fields, farming, for the same reason: They don't NEED to do the work (unless it's been a particularly rough time) so they aren't forced to, and are instead preserved for the aforementioned reasons)

Same for the others, religiously impure animals because those animals were literally unclean: It could hurt you to eat them, like the pig.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:44:31 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35885 on: May 02, 2014, 12:45:01 pm »

I'll eat my damn bacon and theres nothing you can do about it :P

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35886 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »

well yeah christians are supposed to do a fair bit of pick-and-choose, like this whole idea of completely throwing away the rules in the old testament (pretty sure tiruin would be more inclined towards a thorough explanation, i'll just say jesus didn't die only to get rid of people's sins)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35887 on: May 02, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »

Tell that to Allah/Yahweh, bro. I love me some bacon, and since we got breeds of pig and farming standards that mean your pork won't literally kill you if you don't cook it properly, it's perfectly safe to eat it.

'Course, the Almighty hasn't gotten around to telling his disciples that the problems been solved by us lowly humans and they don't need to worry about offending him with delicious, porky noms. Because they've forgotten (culturally) the REASON it was unclean, and now it's just a rule that God has told them and they gotta follow it, or be punished, because reasons.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35888 on: May 02, 2014, 12:49:54 pm »

I am of the opinion that Obama was voted in by racists.

Because "black people voted for him just because I was black", I assume?  ::)
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35889 on: May 02, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »

I don't agree with him, but I could see what he means. White folk voting for Obama, just because he's black, as a sort of "white guilt" thing. Like "We have a black president, racism is dead!" or "I want to be able to say to my children that I voted for the first black president!" or "I'm not racist, I voted for Obama!" as a variation on "Some of my best friends are black!"

Like I said, I don't think I'd agree, but it's not quite as "Lol silly blackies" of him as you make it out to be.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35890 on: May 02, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »

'Course, the Almighty hasn't gotten around to telling his disciples that the problems been solved by us lowly humans and they don't need to worry about offending him with delicious, porky noms. Because they've forgotten (culturally) the REASON it was unclean, and now it's just a rule that God has told them and they gotta follow it, or be punished, because reasons.

This is the worst possible example, since God kinda did. (Acts 10:9-16)  :P

You have a large number of valid points. Like, a large number. That's easily the best post I've ever seen on one of these types of topics, you just chose a really sucky example law.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35891 on: May 02, 2014, 12:58:46 pm »

Yeeeeah, like I said in the disclaimer, I didn't actually do any research about it before posting. So I'm not surprised something like that popped up.

Thank you, though! I'm glad to hear that. :3

Edit: Reading that passage, you could take that as either Peter was being tested by the Lord three times, to see if he would follow the rules even if God Himself tells him otherwise. Or as Satan was trying to deceive Peter to go against God's Law. Or as God going "Goddamn disciples won't even listen to me any more. Fine. I'll take my giant blanket full of animals and go home!"

Doesn't help that I don't know much of the context either :P
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:01:28 pm by Descan »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35892 on: May 02, 2014, 01:05:01 pm »

Tell that to Allah/Yahweh, bro. I love me some bacon, and since we got breeds of pig and farming standards that mean your pork won't literally kill you if you don't cook it properly, it's perfectly safe to eat it.

That's not the reason why pork is prohibited. Pork was allowed by Christianity and prohibited by Judaism and Islam because pigs require large amounts of water to farm, and Europe has far better water supplies than the Middle East. If you're farming pigs in desert conditions you're taking up all the community's water for your luxury bacon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #35893 on: May 02, 2014, 01:06:30 pm »

Yeeeeah, like I said in the disclaimer, I didn't actually do any research about it before posting. So I'm not surprised something like that popped up.

Thank you, though! I'm glad to hear that. :3

Hey, you thought about it before posting it. That puts you miles ahead of 90% of people on the intarwebz.

I suggest people be careful about this topic, as we have a bad history with it, and Tack's gonna come shout at us if we go on too long. I personally am not going to say anything.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:09:14 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35894 on: May 02, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »

That's not the reason why pork is prohibited. Pork was allowed by Christianity and prohibited by Judaism and Islam because pigs require large amounts of water to farm, and Europe has far better water supplies than the Middle East. If you're farming pigs in desert conditions you're taking up all the community's water for your luxury bacon.
The exact reason WHY it's unclean for the Middle East and not in Europe doesn't exactly matter, but instead what matters is that it IS different for the two (simplistic definition of "culture") cultures, and there are more reasonable explanations than "God told the Jews but changed his mind for the Christians, but then went back again for the Muslims".

Truth be told, I always just assumed it was because of pigs being more deadly than cows on average, (i.e. that you have to cook them more evenly and you can't eat their meat raw/under-cooked, which you can't always guarantee it has been cooked properly) and it's only been recently that we got around that. The water resources does make a bit more sense, because it's not like Christians stopped considering the pig unclean only recently. But what about cows? I could have sworn they were considered a clean animal, but I'm pretty sure they take up more resources than piggies, esp. water.
Pages: 1 ... 2391 2392 [2393] 2394 2395 ... 3345