Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383190 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Mnt Dew & Circuses Edition
« Reply #35895 on: May 02, 2014, 01:11:12 pm »

There was a lot of fountains and luxurious gardens in the Middle East in the Middle Ages, though.
(At least, according to my history lessons :v)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #35896 on: May 02, 2014, 01:47:13 pm »

Its pigs tendency to eat everything and lots of it stacks
It's FEF, not FEOF

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #35897 on: May 02, 2014, 01:51:34 pm »

This whole week, man, all of it, has been nothing but stressful. I've got my finals week coming up and I'm not ready, I already know which classes I'm going to fail and that if I'm not careful I can fail the rest, and then my family is driving me up a wall too. My brother's being the usual insufferable ass who thinks nobody elses' concerns matter and he pays no heed to anyone's pain, but if you dare insult him or ask anything of him or do anything he doesn't approve of then oh boy you better watch out because he'll throw all the tantrums. All of them, whilst punching you. I shut off the car when we stopped at the post office, and he threw a tantrum about that. His girlfriend is still a stupid, lazy whore who pretty much acts just like him too. Yesterday she caught a hummingbird that flew in the door and couldn't figure out how to get back out and stuffed it in a box with some straw and water and waited for us to get home so we'd take a picture of it, and my brother went and let it out which is exactly what I intended to do anyway, and she threw a fit about it for the rest of the night and we had to sit there and listen to them argue it out while everybody but me got drunk.

Then I sat on a fucking wasp that was in my parents' bed. My ass still hurts. There's wasps fucking everywhere. That shack is seriously too fucking small, and now the county officials are riding our asses because it's legally too small to live in, but there isn't shit we can do because we can't afford to start building an actual house yet. And I still have to sleep in the fucking armchair. I'm really starting to hate that chair.

I feel like a rubber/gel stress penguin thing. Like I'm being squeezed so hard my head is going to explode and whoever's squeezing me at the time is going to lose their arm. I need a penguin to squeeze so bad...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35898 on: May 02, 2014, 01:55:19 pm »

One of the best explanations I heard for why Jews weren't allowed to do X was because their non-Jewish neighbors did. From being uncircumcised to eating pork to wearing multiple fabric types together, to mixing dairy and meat. By prescribing cultural norms that were counter to the people around them, it helped reinforce an insular Jewish identity as different from those around them. It's also once reason they've resisted assimilation so incredibly well all over the world. (Except in China, because China is The Borg.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35899 on: May 02, 2014, 02:51:12 pm »

Also, all the Ten Commandments apply specifically to Jews. Love thy neighbour? Sure, as long as he's a Jew.

Of course, that's not what it means now, merely the original one. Evolving truth, and all that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35900 on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:58 pm »

Bleh. When the semester is over I'm going to be out of work, hopefully just until next semester, which is probably 2-4 months.

Aside from the fact that my stepdad is going to ride my ass nonstop about it from the second I mention it, I'll need to find something to pay rent and saveup to attend classes at the very college I work at. Most likely my sister could get my a job where she works(hooray, nepotism), but to hear her tell it, it's not that great a job.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35901 on: May 02, 2014, 05:22:12 pm »

As an Orthodoxal Christian, I can say that we consider the Old Testament to be kinda the un-play-tested edition of the word of God, and the New testament to be kinda the errata'd one. Like if the God went "Okay here's a totally cool and practical book, follow it to the letter!" and then his son actually went down to earth and saw that the instructions weren't working at all and went "Look, here's a new version of the Good Book, it has much less vindictive punishment for doing things that aren't really related to your spiritual health, like mixing fabrics, and much more general tips on how to be a totally cool bro and not a jerk, and also note this really big and important part about spiritual development and how it's much more important than anything you can do with your body and how all these rules about having a beautiful transcendent soul explicitly override all those rules about behaviour because those rules about behaviour are only supposed to guide you onto the path of spiritual development and not be the ultimate manual on how to live because that really didn't work last time and and the word of God is really like a good piece of literature and meant to be interpreted and anyway I have to go and die in horrible agony now because my dad still hates you for eating that literally goddamn apple and is only gonna start really loving you after I suffer for each of you on the cross, so bye!"

And then the Jews went "Jesus didn't really come and we still obey the Old Testament!"

And the the Muslims went "Okay this Jesus guy really did come but we are gonna follow these teachings Muhammad gave us which are actually also about love and tolerance and don't focus on abusing women but you won't be able to tell that with at all those fanatics killing each other throughout history, unfortunately."

So yeah.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:29:13 pm by Knit tie »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #35902 on: May 02, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »

The Muslims believe Jesus to be a prophet. They believe Muhammad to be a prophet. The set of rules they decided to follow is revealing.

And fair enough to the Jews. Jesus did exist, at least as a human I think, but the part of the bible than details his birth is historically inaccurate, and logically too. There was no consensus.

Also, if Jesus were supposed to be born of the line of David, and that was ensured through his father, how does that work with his mother being a virgin? It tried to conform to the prophesy of Micah, but didn't quite make it logical.

And, given that God is omnipotent and omniscient, he shouldn't need Jesus to edit his work, as before it was written he knew what would go wrong, and should have been able to fix it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35903 on: May 02, 2014, 05:39:42 pm »

Do remember that He faced continual communication problems even with his most devout followers. There's a good reason they're (we're) often compared to sheep in the texts, the most hard-headed and stubborn of all of the barnyard animals. It's not really any wonder He decided to show up Himself. I ascribe a good deal of problems on our side to human error.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35904 on: May 02, 2014, 05:41:22 pm »

Revealing what, exactly?

And yeah, the Bible isn't really the most historically accurate book. Huge parts were misinterpreted or creatively adapted by translators, and even the original is sometimes very vague.

Edit: Miscommunication with God all the way! Also the humans never really followed God's directives, like how he said that hate is from the Devil and the Catholic church and, hell, the Orthodoxal one too are waging wars of hate on homosexuals.

And we should really stop discussing religion, it's more inflammatory then asbestos dust.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:45:41 pm by Knit tie »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35905 on: May 02, 2014, 05:44:30 pm »

While I can understand your concerns, the larger text looks a lot more un-chill than I think you were trying to put across in your message, and may cause you some problems/escalate the situation more than it has to go.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35906 on: May 02, 2014, 05:46:18 pm »

Thanks for telling me, I was kinda overly involved there. It's now fixed.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #35907 on: May 02, 2014, 05:57:44 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison

well that took me 10 seconds of research to find a non-Christian member of US Congress :I

Don't just make claims without any research.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35908 on: May 02, 2014, 06:09:27 pm »

... did anyone besides granolakey(sp) graknorke (who I sorta' doubt was being entirely serious) actually make the claim that there were no non-christian members of congress? I think I missed it...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:29:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35909 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:47 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Ellison

well that took me 10 seconds of research to find a non-Christian member of US Congress :I

Don't just make claims without any research.
So it's only the politicians with special titles that do that "So help me God" thing?
Regardless, I think you put a bit too much weight into a comment intended to be in no way factual from multiple pages ago. And it wasn't even far from accurate, if that table posted when this discussion was relevant was posted. "Most" isn't much better than "all" when talking about representation of groups.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2392 2393 [2394] 2395 2396 ... 3345