Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2397 2398 [2399] 2400 2401 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383124 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

That made me laugh more than it should have. He's been drinking that coffee raeg for years, he's bound to get jittery.

It's truer than not, in all honesty.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile

As much as I dislike how widespread that's gotten lately, that's definitely one I can approve of. I also had no idea he had a name.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Clean dat shit Edition
« Reply #35972 on: May 04, 2014, 04:50:33 pm »

We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As much as I dislike how widespread that's gotten lately, that's definitely one I can approve of. I also had no idea he had a name.

It'll help that you won't really see it unlike a column of vibrating avatars.

And yeah, the name just kind of came to me as I was doing it. May have to make him a collar tag.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

But yes, 'tis brilliant.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I fucking hate replacement swears. Just fucking say fuck you fuck fuck FUCK.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

But what if fuck isn't the word I want to use?
Nothing wrong with wank or bollocks or arseguzzler.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I think it's more "feck" or "frel" or "frak" that's the problem.
They annoy me too. (Apart from 'feck', if it's an Irishman doing the swearing.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

But what if fuck isn't the word I want to use?
Nothing wrong with wank or bollocks or arseguzzler.
Those aren't replacement swears! I'm talking about stuff you see in sci-fi like "bork" and shit like that. I HATE THEM.

EDIT: Most recently in my Ravenor Omnibus, I noticed that the characters say "knuck" instead of fuck. It's the dumbest thing I've ever fucking read, especially in a book based on a universe where people get fucking vaporized every half page.

IN FACT. I hate all scifi replacements for common terms. Like rockcrete (again, WH40K). IT'S CONCRETE. LIKE ITS EXACTLY THE SAME THING. AND IF IT ISN'T MAKE UP AN ENTIRELY NEW WORD FOR IT.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:29:09 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having read damn near everything 40k (including everything by Dan Abnett) I tend to agree.

On the other hand, there's a couple usages in 40k that I feel imply that this stuff is actually high tech. For example, plasteel. Just combining plastic and steel together may seem cheap, but it also evokes an image of plastic as hard as steel. So some usages work.

Others only work when read. For example, "electrolume" or "illuminator" reads fine in a book, but when said in a Dark Heresy table top game? Awkward. There's a stylization in 40k that tries to evoke a Gothic vibe, and it has the unavoidable consequence of making common names for things longer and harder to say.

And on actual swear word replacement, again, it's hit or miss. Sometimes you can explain it as language necessarily mutating across the expanse of a billion worlds. Other times, it's the need to get a rating to sell the book to a certain age range (a hypocrisy on GWS's part considering the nature of ANYTHING going on in the 40k universe) and it's obvious. I guess my stance is, if it's worth changing one letter on it, it's worth spending the time to create your own word that is as evocative.

So it's a mixed bag for me. It's a shame that the Black Library closed down expunged their forums so long ago, they used to have a resource section for writing fan fiction. There was this page in it: http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/turkey-city-lexicon-a-primer-for-sf-workshops/ that's basically worth of a tv tropes entry on sci-fi writing. GWS regularly violates some or all of it in His name.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:46:08 pm by nenjin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Eh, I don't know. If I say that a building is made of "togfutwe", the reader will have no idea what the hell that means without a bunch of additional explanation. On the other hand, "rockcrete" instantly makes readers think of concrete, or something similar, which helps convey whatever image the author is trying to share.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I almost never alter my behavior around others purely out of "courtesy," but euphemisms is one place I actually do.

I'll say "frick" instead of "fuck" in the right company. Not because I think "frick" is somehow less offensive or a different word, but because it's too small a detail to really care about, and the confrontation that would arise if I used a "bad" word would be too much bother to be worth it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 2397 2398 [2399] 2400 2401 ... 3345