Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2403 2404 [2405] 2406 2407 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3428325 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Drawing, all is good.
Oh wait. I accidentally turned that man into a thalidomide baby.

damn it hands why can't i draw you

I quoted this in the OOC quotes thread without actually knowing what it was, just assuming it was something weird.
Then I googled it. Oh gods it doesn't seem quite so funny anymore.  :-X
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

@kaenneth
* kaijyuu has no words.

I guess I'll just point out the most important part of your post:

I'm no expert

I guess I feel your post emphasizes personal responsibility on the part of the victim but completely ignores other people's responsibility to them because of their condition (IE, simple courtesy and not twisting metaphorical knives).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I guess I feel your post emphasizes personal responsibility on the part of the victim but completely ignores other people's responsibility to them because of their condition (IE, simple courtesy and not twisting metaphorical knives).
Not everything that upsets someone is malicious. Especially so on a public internet forum where you don't even know who's reading it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well, considering the alternative is to do the silly tumblrite alternative of adding trigger warnings or else just forgo the usage of words entirely, stressing personal responsibility does seem sound. The example you listed is extreme, and only really viable in the real world where you can spend the time to learn personal things ascribed to the people you associate with. On the internet? Not so much.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Not everything that upsets someone is malicious. Especially so on a public internet forum where you don't even know who's reading it.
Who ever said anything about malice? Many things can cause damage besides that, including being negligent, irresponsible, and/or inconsiderate.

Not knowing who's reading it is exactly why you should be careful. Only if you know your audience can you know what is and isn't acceptable, so some reasonable precautions are necessary for unknown audiences.
Well, considering the alternative is to do the silly tumblrite alternative of adding trigger warnings or else just forgo the usage of words entirely, stressing personal responsibility does seem sound. The example you listed is extreme, and only really viable in the real world where you can spend the time to learn personal things ascribed to the people you associate with. On the internet? Not so much.
The internet contains real people just as much as the "real" world does. Don't dismiss everything because "lol internet." Being online doesn't mean you lose all obligation to others.

Forgoing outside of an academic sense sounds reasonable to me. Works with things like slurs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:29:14 pm by kaijyuu »
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Who ever said anything about malice? Many things can cause damage besides that, including being negligent, irresponsible, and/or inconsiderate.
not twisting metaphorical knives
I have never hear the phrase "twisting the knife" used in a context where it wasn't deliberate.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I'm not about to start censoring what I type just in case it offends someone.
That'd be silly. If you take things said on the internet a public forum seriously... well, that's a bit silly, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

The internet gives you complete total freedom and all that entails. You can pretty much say what you want but you also have to rely on yourself if you don't want to get hurt over the internet.

You have freedom but also responsibilities over what you say but ALSO protecting yourself from others. You simply cannot count on other people to watch what they say.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I have never hear the phrase "twisting the knife" used in a context where it wasn't deliberate.
I have. Usually in connotations like someone walking in on a dire situation and saying exactly the wrong thing.

I'm not about to start censoring what I type just in case it offends someone.
That'd be silly. If you take things said on the internet a public forum seriously... well, that's a bit silly, too.
I brought up PTSD triggers (and an extreme one at that), which are inherently unconscious reactions. There's no "taking it" any particular way, at least in their control.

The internet gives you complete total freedom and all that entails. You can pretty much say what you want but you also have to rely on yourself if you don't want to get hurt over the internet.

You have freedom but also responsibilities over what you say but ALSO protecting yourself from others. You simply cannot count on other people to watch what they say.
While this can be fine practical advice, does it really make douchebags and jerks something other than douchebags and jerks?

Let's not give out free licenses to hurt others.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site

Kaenneth, unless you had an incredibly traumatic juice experience in your past, I don't think you quite understand what PTSD can be like. Simply thinking about what caused it can cause all sorts of problems (in some sufferers). And yes, exposing yourself to triggers will probably help over time, but a disregard for the fact people can be affected by these triggers will exacerbate it because unwilling exposure to that sort of thing generally makes things worse.

It's like fears. If you're scared of, say, spiders, and someone shoves you into a pit full of them, it'll probably cause you to have a panic attack instead of stop it affecting you. Exposure NEEDS to be volutary.

I never had berry juice before I had the Cranberry flavored chemotherapy drug making me feel like I was about to vomit for several months in a row, burning skin, bleeding sores, weakened immune system, aching joints, headaches, light sensitivity, sound sensitivity, standing for an hour on the edge of a balcony, thinking of just jumping off to make the side effects of the medication stop...

Before that I used to think that if I died and went to hell it wouldn't be so bad, because at least I would continue to exist instead of ceasing to exist. Now I would rather cease to exist than go through that again.

@kaenneth
* kaijyuu has no words.

I guess I'll just point out the most important part of your post:

I'm no expert

It's impossible to keep up with what might trigger anyone, I literally not figuratively once threw up because a radio DJ mentioned 'The Cranberries' music group. I didn't call the station to complain.

I don't make a habit of overusing the 'r' word, I don't find (most) rape jokes funny, I don't think anyone (even felony prisoners) deserve it, I don't use it to describe other acts, like winning in a video game.

I think having 'safe zones' like forums for sexual assault victims with extra caution is fine. All I'm saying is that you can't expect everyone to filter their language all the time to avoid anything that might trigger someone, since everything offends somebody.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The internet contains real people just as much as the "real" world does. Don't dismiss everything because "lol internet." Being online doesn't mean you lose all obligation to others.
Forgoing outside of an academic sense sounds reasonable to me. Works with things like slurs.
Bay12 is kinda nice in that it's a sort of picturesque internet village where everyone's self respecting and respecting of others. Everyone knows, or at least recognizes one another and their defining characteristics.
Once you get communities the size of cities and towns however, you have no obligation whatsoever to learning anything about those around you who are not immediate associates.
It is impossible.
Secondly, it's the internet, not the real world.
So lol internet is appropriate advice.
[CTRL] [W]

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

Kaenneth, unless you had an incredibly traumatic juice experience in your past, I don't think you quite understand what PTSD can be like.

Trigger warning: cranberries

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile

While this can be fine practical advice, does it really make douchebags and jerks something other than douchebags and jerks?

Let's not give out free licenses to hurt others.
It's not a free license. Just like in real life, you have responsibility and social obligation to not be a douchbag. The only difference is you can't punch douchbags across the internet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I brought up PTSD triggers (and an extreme one at that), which are inherently unconscious reactions. There's no "taking it" any particular way, at least in their control.
I get that, but if one is that emotionally fragile, is browsing the internet really a good idea?

It's not a free license. Just like in real life, you have responsibility and social obligation to not be a douchbag. The only difference is you can't punch douchbags across the internet.

...Yet.
Booze is Life for Yoink

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

I think having 'safe zones' like forums for sexual assault victims with extra caution is fine. All I'm saying is that you can't expect everyone to filter their language all the time to avoid anything that might trigger someone, since everything offends somebody.
Don't think this is one of two extremes. It's not "you can say whatever the hell you want" vs "you can only say things on this approved list."

We can debate what things are reasonable to say in public. Some things affect so few that they probably shouldn't be taboo to mention. Some things affect enough that they probably should be.

blanket dismissals
fix'd

I get that, but if one is that emotionally fragile, is browsing the internet really a good idea?
Maybe, maybe not. This still doesn't justify certain behavior online

We can have expected behavior that isn't acceptable. Being common is not justification.
Pages: 1 ... 2403 2404 [2405] 2406 2407 ... 3345