Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2404 2405 [2406] 2407 2408 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382639 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Bay12 is kinda nice in that it's a sort of picturesque internet village where everyone's self respecting and respecting of others. Everyone knows, or at least recognizes one another and their defining characteristics.
Once you get communities the size of cities and towns however, you have no obligation whatsoever to learning anything about those around you who are not immediate associates.
It is impossible.
Secondly, it's the internet, not the real world.
So lol internet is appropriate advice.
[CTRL] [W]
blanket dismissals
When that one shit avatar popped up I was disgusted.
Then I blocked it.
The end.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Obviously, personal attacks and the dreaded "cyber bullying" is obviously not okay, but forcing people to pussyfoot around and not directly or honestly address whatever topic they're discussing for fear of offending someone is not a good solution.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

I work on intent. If the intent is malignant, I mind. If not, I try to shrug it off...as has been said, they're just words, and if there is no ill-will, the words are't describing what you assume.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

I work on intent. If the intent is malignant, I mind. If not, I try to shrug it off...as has been said, they're just words, and if there is no ill-will, the words are't describing what you assume.
Yeah, this. This should be anyone's reaction, really, if you want to last long (on the internet or in real life) without suffering a nervous breakdown.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Yeah, this. This should be anyone's reaction, really, if you want to last long (on the internet or in real life) without suffering a nervous breakdown.
Especially prudent if one ever wishes to post without smileys and use proper grammar. Often times I've noticed a simple sentence is read as hostile and menacing if it ends in a full stop.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Obviously, personal attacks and the dreaded "cyber bullying" is obviously not okay, but forcing people to pussyfoot around and not directly or honestly address whatever topic they're discussing for fear of offending someone is not a good solution.
If you think I'm talking about censoring reasonable academic discussions then we're talking about different situations entirely.

@LW
My understanding of your argument is that a higher risk of accidents should require less regulation. That seems kinda nonsensical to me; if we have a problem with people shooting guns in the air, the answer isn't asking everyone to wear combat helmets all the time so they don't get hurt, it's to stop people from shooting guns in the air. Furthering that analogy, places with lower population (generally) don't have such laws, since it's less likely to hurt someone to the point of no longer being an issue.

Obviously there are no "laws" as such on the internets, but there is social stigma that can be applied.

This is all fine and dandy until miscommunication occurs (which happens all the time in realistic human communication). You have a responsibility to be clear with your intent. There are things you could say that can be reasonable misunderstood and the blame is on your head until you clear it up.
(there's also a responsibility on the speaker to try to glean intent, but the point is it's two way instead of all one person's responsibility)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

If you think I'm talking about censoring reasonable academic discussions then we're talking about different situations entirely.

Just as well I wasn't, then.
Booze is Life for Yoink

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

Then what are you talking about? Regular conversation?

Last I heard, regular conversation generally requires some level of respect among all participants, including potential audience.

Except of course, when we have douchebags and jerks. All I'm promoting is labeling them as such and not considering it acceptable (though maybe still expected).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is all fine and dandy until miscommunication occurs (which happens all the time in realistic human communication). You have a responsibility to be clear with your intent. There are things you could say that can be reasonable misunderstood and the blame is on your head until you clear it up.
(there's also a responsibility on the speaker to try to glean intent, but the point is it's two way instead of all one person's responsibility)
It's fairly obvious when someone is trying to offend, hurt, or show their hate. If thee is mis-communication, then a simple "Why did you say that?" will suffice in clearing it up. If it's over the internet, the same principle may be applied, but of course given there is not emotional medium such as the face to display intent, people tend to be more careful about what they say, anyway. So yes, it is all fine and dandy. If people stopped leaping at shadows, many situations would diffuse quicker.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile

It's fairly obvious when someone is trying to offend, hurt, or show their hate. If thee is mis-communication, then a simple "Why did you say that?" will suffice in clearing it up. If it's over the internet, the same principle may be applied, but of course given there is not emotional medium such as the face to display intent, people tend to be more careful about what they say, anyway. So yes, it is all fine and dandy. If people stopped leaping at shadows, many situations would diffuse quicker.
It's not always fairly obvious.

I seem to recall you having a problem with people misunderstanding you and calling you sexist/etc. If I'm remembering that right, did you ever stop to consider your word choice might be contributing to that phenomenon?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Respect, yes; censoring yourself on the off-chance something you say might be interpreted in an offensive manner, no.
Hell, if it's amongst friends you probably don't even need to be all that respectful.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

My understanding of your argument is that a higher risk of accidents should require less regulation. That seems kinda nonsensical to me; if we have a problem with people shooting guns in the air, the answer isn't asking everyone to wear combat helmets all the time so they don't get hurt, it's to stop people from shooting guns in the air. Furthering that analogy, places with lower population (generally) don't have such laws, since it's less likely to hurt someone to the point of no longer being an issue.
Obviously there are no "laws" as such on the internets, but there is social stigma that can be applied.
1. This is the internet. If you run into a forum that triggers you, leave with your feelings intact. If everyone around you is firing guns into the air repeatedly, that is a lethal situation less easily escaped. If everyone owns guns that fired infinite bullets and firing aforementioned guns was the only human language left to mankind, getting mankind to stop shooting the guns would be - impossible. The better advice would be not to get everyone to stop shooting, but to make sure everyone has bulletproof skin.
2. We're a nice lil' village. Goes without saying. It's easy to tell everyone here that we should be mindful, because we already are. We already more or less have an identity assigned to each of our respective identies and avatars, we know what ticks the others off and avoid it. In greater communities this is impossible.
3. Ah, so we can socially exclude faceless people for offending others using words they should have to self-regulate in advance for fear that they will be socially stigmatized.
Might as well dam the victoria falls with a sponge for the crime of running for all the good it'll do you. If you want to become tumblr or reddit, do as you say. It kills free discussion when people are more afraid of sincerely telling what they mean in the only medium where they can actually do so.

I seem to recall you having a problem with people misunderstanding you and calling you sexist/etc. If I'm remembering that right, did you ever stop to consider your word choice might be contributing to that phenomenon?
I would always recommend to keep saying whatever especially in the face of those who would deem it sexist/racist/bigoted. This retreat of acceptable words and unacceptable words is what leads to the erosion of our language. What was acceptable 100 years ago sounded offensive, became offensive and disappeared. What's acceptable now will likewise disappear if we honestly go about witchhunts when someone dares to use the word 'creature.'

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile

If you want to become tumblr or reddit, do as you say. It kills free discussion when people are more afraid of sincerely telling what they mean in the only medium where they can actually do so.

Whatchoo saying about reddit?   *takes fighting pose*

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course I did? What has my personal inability to express myself properly to do with anything?  :P

I know I'm not. That's the thing. And, given these claims were based on my argument, then I knew it was misconstrued. If I was offended, it didn't last long; it was a communication error, and one I tried to patch up because I recognised it as such.

Saying homosexuals shouldn't get into the church is homophobic.

Saying homosexuals shouldn't get into the church because that organisation has biblical beliefs that that shouldn't happen isn't homophobic.

And this is what I tried to differentiate between. I knew you weren't purposefully trying to insult, but were merely confused as to my point.

Ninjas: Yes to yoink and LW. During the 19 hundreds, saying black person was offensive, yet saying nigger/negroe was the norm.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

If you want to become tumblr or reddit, do as you say. It kills free discussion when people are more afraid of sincerely telling what they mean in the only medium where they can actually do so.
Whatchoo saying about reddit?   *takes fighting pose*
fite me in rl lyfe yh im gorilla warfare
Pages: 1 ... 2404 2405 [2406] 2407 2408 ... 3345