Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382463 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Well, currently the risk of a wolf attack in the UK is zero. Re-introducing them turns this zero into a small but non zero number. I am happier with zero than a small non-zero number.

Probably a logical fallacy, but I don't care.

According to the mighty Wiki, there are campaigns to reintroduce Bears and Lynx to the UK. What the actual fuck? Do we want to be some kind of northern mammal based version of Australia?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:08:58 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You have to scale up attacks when the area is constrained like the UK, due to the lack of livable land for such creatures and the fact that nature travelers gravitate towards the areas where the animals will be living anyway. But, once again, the reason for this is because of the fuckedness of the area already. If the UK had any semblance of environmental protection the solution to overpopulation of deer would be to possibly re-introduce the natural predators that were poached and hunted into extinction. You can even hunt these animals periodically, go figure.
Kinda why they were exterminated in the first place.
Or because British people can't handle nuisances and think they know better than nature.
Or how about just not introduce such nusiances as being mauled to death by wolves and having your flocks also mauled to death by wolves. It's a travesty to whine about introducing wolves of all fucking things and say Britain's terrible about environmental protection when there's an obvious solution in hunting and there are extinct or endangered species being reintroduced that are actually more environmentally beneficial and deserve far more attention than wolves, like ruderal bumblebees.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Hunting nuisances to extinction is the best solution. Long live best UK.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

People getting eaten by wolves is a little bit more than a nuisance.
This is a blank sig.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, I like wolves.
BLASPHEMY
I've been out alone, at night, in an area directly occupied by wolves.
I've turned around to see a pair of eyes floating in the dark, glowing red in the light of my headlamp.
I experienced the momentary chill of realizing there was nobody else around, and nobody would notice if I was missing, perhaps for hours.

I still like wolves.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Well, currently the risk of a wolf attack in the UK is zero. Re-introducing them turns this zero into a small but non zero number. I am happier with zero than a small non-zero number.

Introducing more guns turns a small number into a larger number.

Not quite fair. It was historic hunting, and if they had lived to the present day preservation attempts would be attempted in a way reintroduction attempts aren't.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Introducing more guns turns a small number into a larger number.

Not quite fair. It was historic hunting, and if they had lived to the present day preservation attempts would be attempted in a way reintroduction attempts aren't.

More hunting does not need to mean more guns - just more deer getting shot. There are more than enough landowners and eastates managers with firearms to do the work already.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

And as the boy who cried wolf was devoured alive, he thought to himself: By golly what a nusiance this is.

Similarly the articles you link aren't exactly helpful, what with them not being remotely similar situations. For one, Yellowstone park doesn't even allow hunting as an option in Elk control, as hunting within the park is verboten.
Secondly, Yellowstone Park is larger than London.
There is not enough space to give to the Wolves, they can remain dead.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Re-introduce longbows. Problem solved all around.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, it doesn't need to. But it will; when something is encouraged, more people do it.

Longbows. No. No, no, no.

I'd prefer guns.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

No, it doesn't need to. But it will; when something is encouraged, more people do it.

Longbows. No. No, no, no.

I'd prefer guns.

You dont need to encourage more people - just say to estates managers "shoot 10 deer this year instead of 5".
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's fine and dandy then. Though, I have to say I don't like killing deer at all, but if it's necessary it's necessary. If that works, I have no argument against it, but in the case of wolf reintroduction, I'd support it.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

PE lessons are terrible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PE lessons are terrible.

Depends. Cricket, great. Rugby, bad. Football, middlin'.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I am terrible at literally everything. Except for jumping (high/far) which I am somewhat mediocre at.

E: And I guess I'm not that terrible at rugby either, but that's probably just the lack of ways for me to completely fuck over our team.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:29:26 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 2415 2416 [2417] 2418 2419 ... 3345