Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383630 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Regular expressions. Who thought this was an intuitive way to handle patterns? I admit, I haven't got anything better off the top of my head, but surely there's something better than this. This notation is the sort of thing I'd expect middle management to come up with during the middle of a Listerine bender.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Regular expressions. Who thought this was an intuitive way to handle patterns? I admit, I haven't got anything better off the top of my head, but surely there's something better than this. This notation is the sort of thing I'd expect middle management to come up with during the middle of a Listerine bender.

I've had people use RegEx as if it's simple too. What I've found though is it's a trial and error process. Being proficient at RegEx I think just means you fuck it up fewer times.

Thank god for Cntrl + Z though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Cheers to that. A robust undo/redo feature is sometimes a program's only saving grace. Any undo and/or redo feature is a godsend, really...

Only discrete action I use nearly as much is copy/paste.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

It doesn't help that I'm fairly sure that when the professor said the very first problem we need to do is "Match strings that contain one, and only one, of this character", that was probably bullshit. Figuring out how to write "^[^']*'[^']*\n" was a learning experience, I'll grant, but if that's what we were supposed to do then the learning curve in this class has increased outrageously.

EDIT: Note that it's a book problem, and the wording in the book indicated no such complexity. It was just "match strings containing this character." That's what I meant by bullshit, rather than merely surprisingly evil.

EDIT: I continue to learn. It should actually be ^[^']*'[^']*$
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:49:13 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Fuck Nature Edition
« Reply #36424 on: May 08, 2014, 05:41:13 pm »

I'm 90% sure they design people like that on purpose.
I would always rather take a train than a plane. Never want to go through the hassle of flying again.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Hoo boy. I'm flying over to Scotland for a month or so this summer, and I'm not looking forward to that. Bright side is that I managed to snag window seats on all my flights, but on the other hand I've got two five-hour stopovers in Newark. On the other hand, I'll have a duffel loaded with duty-free alcohol on the way back. Gift-giving is going to be easy this coming Christmas. ^.^

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Fuck Nature Edition
« Reply #36426 on: May 09, 2014, 12:34:51 am »

I'm 90% sure they design people like that on purpose.
I would always rather take a train than a plane. Never want to go through the hassle of flying again.
Strange, I'm just the opposite. I've had way more problems with trains going missing or being so late you can't make connections then I've ever had with planes.

For the missing train the scenario went something like this:
*Train pulls into station, turns off all of its lights, and the conductor gets off the train, we've been waiting for some time now and we ask him about the train continuing it's route*
"No, this train stops here. We don't know where your train is, it disappeared."

How the heck do you lose a train? I mean it's not like it can take a wrong turn or something, it's on tracks for goodness sake!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

pm me if interested in how trains can get lost

too ranty for public consumption

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

trains going missing

Hey, aeroplanes go missing too!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

trains going missing
Hey, aeroplanes go missing too!
Which kinda surprises me, (though obviously not as much as a train on tracks going missing). You'd think by now we would have made it mandatory to have some sort of real-time GPS tracking, so that if a plane went down we could pull up it's exact location prior to the crash to know where to look.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

Depending on your view, a message touching and emotional, or a hypocritical piece of crap.

I'm leaning on the latter. (No such thing as moderation there?)
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Depending on your view, a message touching and emotional, or a hypocritical piece of crap.

I'm leaning on the 'regurgitating ideas from common consciousness and thinking you're being deep' side.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile

Everyone, spread the word to your facebook/twitter/pinterest!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

It doesn't help that I'm fairly sure that when the professor said the very first problem we need to do is "Match strings that contain one, and only one, of this character", that was probably bullshit. Figuring out how to write "^[^']*'[^']*\n" was a learning experience, I'll grant, but if that's what we were supposed to do then the learning curve in this class has increased outrageously.

EDIT: Note that it's a book problem, and the wording in the book indicated no such complexity. It was just "match strings containing this character." That's what I meant by bullshit, rather than merely surprisingly evil.

EDIT: I continue to learn. It should actually be ^[^']*'[^']*$
Regex is incredibly powerful, and everything related to programming seems to be on a sliding scale between "Easy to use" and "Powerful".

My rage is the horrible way the US international keyboard handles double and single quotes ALONGSIDE umlauts and accent graves. Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to put four completely different symbols on the same key. I dont want to have to hit space every time I want to type a double or single quote. Space is pressed between words, not in the middle of a word and generally not twice in a row.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile

For the past umpteen years, my parents have told me to put things where I'll remember them.

You get into the habit of it, then they start moving the things for no discernible reason.

It's as if they don't think I'll ever need my phone. Or wallet. Fly swatters, console controllers, spare change, keys...

Yes. So much sense in putting things where you'll remember when they FUCKING WON'T STAY THERE.
My old roommate would rearrange the apartment every week, including the kitchen. Sometimes the trash was under the sink, sometimes it was under the bar divider, sometimes it was way over in a corner behind a shoji screen. Just when I would get used to where to put my trash, the trash can would move again. It was infuriating.
Pages: 1 ... 2427 2428 [2429] 2430 2431 ... 3345