Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2429 2430 [2431] 2432 2433 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3382346 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

"By the time I knew my father was right, I had a son who knew I was wrong."

My son is barely 4, and one of his favorite things to say is "Actually...." as in:

Q: What's that?
A: That? Oh, that's a raccoon.
Q: Actually, it's a sneaker squirrel.

And he says it with such nonchalant disdain, as if mildly annoyed that at 38, I still haven't learned what a sneaker squirrel looks like. o_O

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

My son is barely 4, and one of his favorite things to say is "Actually...." as in:

And he says it with such nonchalant disdain, as if mildly annoyed that at 38, I still haven't learned what a sneaker squirrel looks like. o_O

I haven't met him, but I still like your son XD

He sounds like a criminal mastermind in the making, with the anti-power of pointing out people's mistakes :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

You see the first line in my sig, right?  :P

My daughter is the same way. I'm convinced she's going to be a lawyer, because she will not let go of something if she thinks she's right. Which is a trait I admire and want to encourage, except when she's convinced that she should have ice cream because she really, really wants ice cream.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

My daughter is the same way. I'm convinced she's going to be a lawyer, because she will not let go of something if she thinks she's right. Which is a trait I admire and want to encourage, except when she's convinced that she should have ice cream because she really, really wants ice cream.

Tell her she has to provide precedent.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Reminds me of me. Thanks to growing up with a nurse for a mom, I was throwing around medical terms and stuff by age 6.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And not just any old precedent, a familial precedent. One would not let a court case be influenced by other countries, and therefore it has to be local.

If RedKing Junior got ice cream because he really, really wanted it, then she can. But. There. Must. Be. Precedent.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Tell her she has to provide precedent.
She's actually quite good at that already.

"So, remember that time two years ago when you got me ice cream because I wanted it?"
"Yes, but that was because you skinned your knee and were crying."
"But it was still because I wanted it. Why does it matter *why* I wanted it?"

She's incredibly perceptive and has a hella good memory. She watched Attack of the Clones for the first time a few weeks ago, and after Anakin wipes out the Tusken Raider village, she's like "Ok, so this is where he starts to turn into Darth Vader, right? Because Yoda said all that stuff about fear leading to anger leading to the Dark Side?"

She's SEVEN, for crissakes! She also found the "courtship" scenes boring as hell and asked "When are they going to get back to the war?"  :P
Have I mentioned how awesome I find my children to be?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

What movie is next? Blade Runner? Wrath of Khan? Lawrence of Arabia?

... Starship Troopers...?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Well, let's see. We've done Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service (she really liked that one), The Dark Crystal, most all of the Pixar films, a lot of classic Disney films, The Secret of Kells, and all of Star Wars except for Episode III.

And that's not counting the slew of animated movies that have come out in the last year or two that she's seen (Brave, Frozen, Despicable Me, etc.)

She's starting to watch the early Harry Potter films now, and I showed her two clips from LotR the other night -- Gandalf vs. the Balrog and the Battle of Pelennor Fields. She though they were pretty awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0_o

She already likes LoTR? That is cool.

When I was seven, I quite literally didn't know back from front. It was between my two brighter stages, which were infancy in which I knew words such as "Generator" and randomly sang songs about cats that I made up all day, and now. Where I do essentially the same thing, minus the cats :P

Really, they sound like intelligent children.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile

What movie is next? Blade Runner? Wrath of Khan? Lawrence of Arabia?

... Starship Troopers...?
But Starship Troopers has those scenes of soldiers showering and shows both the male and female soldiers naked in a non-sexualized manner and is totally inappropriate for kids, because nudity, yo. Kids shouldn't be shown nipples, that's unnatural.
Pretty sure that's Starship Troopers. Also, sarcasm.

Btw RedKing, your daughter sounds totally awesome. When I was seven I got scared of The Grinch, seeing an old dude fighting a balrog probably would've melted my face off from terror.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha. Jaws and Jeepers Creepers did it for me. The latter, perhaps understandably. But the Grinch?

Wuss.  ;)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I suggested those four movies because RedKings daughter should have a thorough childhood education, a platform of what it means to be human, of what it means to be alive and sentient, whether a Replicant or a Human, or whether you can even tell. The knowledge of what blood-soaked eyes, blinded by revenge, can cause even the most intelligent human, as Khan is by his very nature, to do. The senselessness of war, the struggle for cultural autonomy and independence, the absurdity of drawing lines on a map and causing real human suffering because of it, the disconnect between officers in their tents and the horrors on the ground as Lawrence finds out first-hand in Damascus and Cairo.

And tits and giant space bugs, because fuck yes.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2429 2430 [2431] 2432 2433 ... 3345