Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3413377 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42571 on: September 03, 2014, 07:30:27 am »

Yeah, no, I wasn't kidding when I said earlier that primary school is more about obedience than learning. I was in the standard boat here, although I made it halfway through my degree before I started caring, and I didn't ever really grasp how much I like learning until about a year after I graduated (and, uh, thank you Vector for inadvertently making me figure that out). But obedience is what they're good at motivating, because if you do what you're told they generally leave you alone and let you waste your time however you want, provided you can manage a C average. And when you're in an environment that works very hard to make that the easiest source of pleasure, you get very good at it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: "Fuck it, to the Woods" Edition
« Reply #42572 on: September 03, 2014, 07:52:31 am »

So, since I feel like complaining about my homework and everyone here is already doing so-
My statistics teachers gives us homework every day.  Even when the homework isn't productive.  At the begining of the year she had us take an online quiz.  Yesterday she had us take us again.  Except now we have to write down our "Work" for the problems.  Not just the problems where you might need to multiply a number by 1.5, which is the extent of the math involved.  No, even if a problem is purely recall based, we have to put down our "Thoughts" while doing that problem. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42573 on: September 03, 2014, 09:07:16 am »

Spoiler: First World Problems (click to show/hide)

Aaand the school stuff?

I dunno, maybe it's just a quirk of mine, but while I like freedom of choice, as homeschool would allow, I much preferred a public school's schedule if only to give a clear outline of the day's events.

Fake edit: I just realized that's irrelevant to the conversation.

Meh.

I'm half asleep anyway. Can't be bad at all!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42574 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

I'd love to homeschool my kids. I work retail, though, and that provides zero stability in scheduling.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: I AM SO SMRT Edition
« Reply #42575 on: September 03, 2014, 10:05:46 am »

... yeah, don't get me wrong, public schooling has its (pretty damn big) problems, but I'd still state without hesitation that it's a massive goddamn improvement over anything else we've tried, on a societal level. It can screw with the fringes pretty hard, and it's far from optimal at teaching the majority, but it does well enough for enough folks that go through it that the net benefit is ridiculously positive. And I haven't actually seen a proposition for a better system that isn't blatantly bugfuck insane*. S'just... stateside, at least, schools need more and better used money (especially the latter), more and better trained teachers, and a hefty dollop of additional flexibility in their everything -- scheduling, teaching style, materials, and so on. There are folks fighting for all of that, but it's slow going with a lot of resistance :-\

*Like transitioning to more private schools, which hard fucks the poor and are notoriously shitty and/or corrupt in a lot of ways beside, or anything that isn't, well, mandatory public education -- apprentice systems (massively inefficient and inconsistent at scale), more homeschooling (most parents can't afford the time), ad-hoc creche systems (public schools are already those), etc., so forth, so on.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42576 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:26 am »

As the Blue Train put it back in the 70's sometimes:

Skolan gör ju som sig bör
Å skolar arbetskraften
Om kvastarna ska sopa bra får man inte slarva med skaften
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42577 on: September 03, 2014, 10:15:48 am »

Skolan gör ju som sig bör
Å skolar arbetskraften
Om kvastarna ska sopa bra får man inte slarva med skaften

Mmm, yes, quite.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42578 on: September 03, 2014, 10:18:48 am »

börk börk börk börk börk börk
börk börk arbeidskrachten
börk börk börk börk börk börk börk börk börk börk börk
Couldn't agree more.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42579 on: September 03, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

... is börk your language's equivalent of choo-choo or somethin'? The sound a train makes?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #42580 on: September 03, 2014, 10:24:18 am »

Nah that's just what Swedish sounds like.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42581 on: September 03, 2014, 10:26:17 am »

I was going to link a Swedish Chef video for reference, but how can I choose just one?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42582 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:08 pm »

Why was yesterday so hot? Even worse, the air conditioner burned out at work. It got so hot that the skin under my beard got so inflamed that it felt like it was on fire. That's never happened before, at least not as bad as that. I did finish the day like a true dwarf: continuing my work, and going hauling around the food and drink stocks while ignoring the fact that my face was on fire.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42583 on: September 03, 2014, 02:01:47 pm »

Why was yesterday so hot? Even worse, the air conditioner burned out at work. It got so hot that the skin under my beard got so inflamed that it felt like it was on fire. That's never happened before, at least not as bad as that. I did finish the day like a true dwarf: continuing my work, and going hauling around the food and drink stocks while ignoring the fact that my face was on fire.
My school has no air conditioning.

Yesterday felt like I was melting.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42584 on: September 03, 2014, 02:28:42 pm »

Nah that's just what Swedish sounds like.

No, that's just how Swedish LOOKS. Damn thing doesn't sound nowhere near as it looks.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 2837 2838 [2839] 2840 2841 ... 3345