Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3424086 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: See you in Matrimony Edition
« Reply #44985 on: October 21, 2014, 08:16:05 pm »

Hell, I like you guys (and gals) more than most of the people I know.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #44986 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:03 pm »

Ok
I really hate this ferguson thing

Don't read the spoiler if you don't want to read a short rant
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44987 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:09 pm »

The two situations are pretty hugely different. It's a shame how people blow off most deaths, but Ferguson is about way more than the one shooting.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44988 on: October 21, 2014, 09:01:26 pm »

The two situations are pretty hugely different. It's a shame how people blow off most deaths, but Ferguson is about way more than the one shooting.

It started with one

Kid gets shot, then it gets an unholy amount of media attention
Then people have peaceful rallies
Then idiots join said rallies and loot things
Then cops try to stop that
Then people get more angry for cops doing their job
The cops have to do their job more
Then people get more angry
Etc etc

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #44989 on: October 21, 2014, 09:04:58 pm »

The distinction between meatspace friends and online friends really annoy me, but I guess it's true that people don't value internet friendship.
The difference between meatspace and internet friends is that you can have in person interaction with them in actual meat space. Actual human contact. It can be either a huge difference or not really different at all, considering all the live chat streaming and whatnot available today. Also depends on the individual, probably. Internet people could easily have face to face conversations, albeit through video streaming. It would be very similar to actual human contact, but not quite exactly the same. Yet. Give the oculus rift time and we can probably have people on the other side of the world projected into the same room as us. Whether it can replace the emotional need for real human contact remains to be seen.
------
As for rage, it's hella annoying to be a friendless loser eating alone in a dining hall and having to put up with the obnoxiously loud group of ten friends loudly talking and loudly laughing and loudly eating together about 10 feet away. Screw you guys and your loud public display of happiness. No I'm not jealous or anything, baka.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44990 on: October 21, 2014, 09:11:33 pm »

It started with one

Then people have peaceful rallies
Then idiots join said rallies and loot things
Then cops try to stop that
Then people get more angry for cops doing their job
The cops have to do their job more
Then people get more angry
Etc etc

There are plenty of videos of cops aggravating protests with no looting happening. As well as cops attempting to shut down media coverage, and plenty of other shady/despicable things.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44991 on: October 21, 2014, 09:13:43 pm »

I could understand media coverage

I mean of the original shooting got the same air time as Donnie did, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal.
Think about it, the moment media gives something a large block of time. It becomes important to everyone

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44992 on: October 21, 2014, 09:21:01 pm »

Not to be an ass, but Donnie didn't get hit by a police officer, right? The big deal with Ferguson had everything to do with who was responsible for the killing (and who got killed was mostly relevant insofar as it fits into a long trend of police racism, and very little beyond that). Aside from the people who knew the victim, it was all about the police.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44993 on: October 21, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »

Unarmed kid gets gunned down by a cop while trying to surrender. Yes, that is more likely to get an unholy amount of media attention, especially further considering everything else that happened afterwards. We've got a thread somewhere around here if you want more in depth information on the whole event, in particular why it got as much attention as it did. Don't think it got locked, anyway.

Unfortunately, deaths by drunk driver are incredibly common. It's a tragedy, but it's not much in the way of news.

... if that happened to a friend, you definitely have my condolences. But you're very much comparing apples and oranges. Those two situations are incredibly different.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44994 on: October 21, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »

The distinction between meatspace friends and online friends really annoy me, but I guess it's true that people don't value internet friendship.
The difference between meatspace and internet friends is that you can have in person interaction with them in actual meat space. Actual human contact. It can be either a huge difference or not really different at all, considering all the live chat streaming and whatnot available today. Also depends on the individual, probably. Internet people could easily have face to face conversations, albeit through video streaming. It would be very similar to actual human contact, but not quite exactly the same. Yet. Give the oculus rift time and we can probably have people on the other side of the world projected into the same room as us. Whether it can replace the emotional need for real human contact remains to be seen.
------
As for rage, it's hella annoying to be a friendless loser eating alone in a dining hall and having to put up with the obnoxiously loud group of ten friends loudly talking and loudly laughing and loudly eating together about 10 feet away. Screw you guys and your loud public display of happiness. No I'm not jealous or anything, baka.

Oculus rift + haptic feedback suit = long-distance hugs.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #44995 on: October 21, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »

All technological progress has been focused towards making one thing a reality - long distance hugs from strangers!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #44996 on: October 21, 2014, 09:27:15 pm »

All technological progress has been focused towards making one thing a reality - long distance hugs from strangers!
Sigged.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #44997 on: October 21, 2014, 09:41:06 pm »

NNNNGH FUCK I'VE WRITTEN SO MANY BEFORE SO THIS SHOULD BE EEEEAAASSYYYY

I don't want to write this speech outliiine

fuuuuuuuuck

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #44998 on: October 21, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »

There are plenty of videos of cops aggravating protests with no looting happening. As well as cops attempting to shut down media coverage, and plenty of other shady/despicable things.

There's also plenty of idiots trying to accelerate the decline on the protester's side.  However, all of the stuff you hear is just focused towards the police.  Which is making things even worse, as it paints one of the sides as incorruptible, which is always false.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44999 on: October 21, 2014, 10:04:43 pm »

Or you could go with another possibility

That a kid was assaulting a cop and got shot
I believe that one

And the protesters sure as heck aren't pure
They are probably worse than the cops

Oh lest stop all of society to protest the same thing we've been ranting about for weeks
And hey if cops try to stop us let's just blame it all on them
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 3345