Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3383317 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: FLUSH THAT SHIT Edition
« Reply #49440 on: January 21, 2015, 07:38:27 pm »

Ninjedit:
Fuck it, Vector said it better.

Infinities are dumb :v
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49441 on: January 21, 2015, 07:39:15 pm »

Yeah, you'd be very surprised at how awful people are with the whole concept. I only try to talk about it when I know someone is completely wrong because people like Vector have obviously done more actual work involving it.

Almost every confusion about infinity can be seen in arguments against the fact that 0.9999... (infinitely repeating) == 1, so if you ever want to see the kind of misconceptions that come up, look some of that up.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49442 on: January 21, 2015, 07:40:12 pm »

I usually blame that one on people not being taught the difference between concepts and notation.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #49443 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:05 pm »

A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B2

= \

I still don't get how someone could mistake finite for meaning 'countably infinite' though...
I guess if English isn't the first language it's somewhat plausible, if still strange.

0.99999 infinitely repeating approaches one but doesn't equal it. It's just like an asymptote, right?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 07:42:44 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49444 on: January 21, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »

0.(9) is equal to 1.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49445 on: January 21, 2015, 07:45:52 pm »

Ninjedit:
Fuck it, Vector said it better.

I prefer Helgoland's exposition, myself :D

Yeah, you'd be very surprised at how awful people are with the whole concept. I only try to talk about it when I know someone is completely wrong because people like Vector have obviously done more actual work involving it.

I'd expect this from a neophyte taking their first proof-based course, but this is a second-semester graduate math course at UC Berkeley :/

A1, B1, A2, B2, A3, B2

= \

It's a repeating sequence :D

I still don't get how someone could mistake finite for meaning 'countably infinite' though...

We were re-introducing the measure-theoretic construction of the integral and I guess he left his smart pants at home that day. Just one of those weapons-grade math errors.

0.99999 infinitely repeating approaches one but doesn't equal it. It's just like an asymptote, right?

I thought you were talking about a number? Who introduced sequences into the argument? :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #49446 on: January 21, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »

0.(9) is equal to 1.
This right here. It has to do with the fact that there is no such number as .000000....1, so since you can't put another number in between .9999999... and 1 they must be equal.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #49447 on: January 21, 2015, 08:33:12 pm »

ARRG.
FIX THE GODAMN TOASTER I AM THIS CLOSE TO QUITTING AND STOP PATRONIZING ME YOU WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT MESS BUT WHEN I SAID I DID IT YOU COMPLETELY CHANGED YOUR TUNE WHAT MAKES ME A BETTER EMPLOYEE THAN ANYONE ELSE?

Sorry. It's just that I know I'm doing a horrible job and nobody seems to be able to see that.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49448 on: January 21, 2015, 08:41:56 pm »

0.(9) is equal to 1.
This right here. It has to do with the fact that there is no such number as .000000....1, so since you can't put another number in between .9999999... and 1 they must be equal.

Rather more rigorous is real numbers are dense (between any two non-equal real numbers, there are an infinite amount of real numbers) and there are no real numbers between 0.(9) and 1, so they must be the same number in the real number system.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #49449 on: January 21, 2015, 08:47:10 pm »

I may be misunderstanding things greatly, but couldn't you, through application of that logic, come to the conclusion that all real numbers are equal?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49450 on: January 21, 2015, 08:48:42 pm »

0.(9) is equal to 1.

Rather more rigorous is real numbers are dense (between any two non-equal real numbers, there are an infinite amount of real numbers) and there are no real numbers between 0.(9) and 1, so they must be the same number in the real number system.

You should probably note that it doesn't make sense to say such and such set is "dense." It can only be dense within the context of another set, i.e. the rationals are dense in the reals because the reals are their topological closure. I think you're thinking instead of the property of the continuum (that between any two reals, there's another real number).

My favorite proof of this property is observing that the sequence .9, .99, .999, etc. is a Cauchy sequence tending to 1 and .(9), and then remembering that the reals are complete.

I may be misunderstanding things greatly, but couldn't you, through application of that logic, come to the conclusion that all real numbers are equal?

Only if you can demonstrate that there's no number between any two real numbers, which is axiomatically false.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49451 on: January 21, 2015, 08:54:41 pm »

Er, how doesn't 0.00000...1 exist? I am confused. :|
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49452 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:02 pm »

Er, how doesn't 0.00000...1 exist? I am confused. :|

.(0)1 is not a real number because you cannot have an infinite number of zeroes, ended by a 1. There's another set of numbers that have that property (I don't remember what they're called anymore... something something set theory transfinite blah blah blah), but the real numbers do not.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49453 on: January 21, 2015, 08:58:00 pm »

.(0)1 is not a real number because you cannot have an infinite number of zeroes, ended by a 1.
Ok, but... what exactly is the logic behind that bit?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49454 on: January 21, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »

.(0)1 is not a real number because you cannot have an infinite number of zeroes, ended by a 1.
Ok, but... what exactly is the logic behind that bit?

Because in this case, the infinite we assume that we're talking about--by definition--is the countable kind of infinite we were all talking about earlier. So, it's not like "no, you inherently cannot have infinite zeroes and then a one," but rather "we define the real numbers to act in such and such a way because they have certain nice properties."

Pages: 1 ... 3295 3296 [3297] 3298 3299 ... 3345