Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miscarriage?  (Read 21223 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Miscarriage?
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:58 pm »

A dwarf just had a miscarriage.

What the farge. Is this new?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miscarriage?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:14:59 pm »

No.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:13:43 pm »

No, just rare. I've never witnessed it myself but I've seen a few screen shots.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:22:34 pm »

It's not very common, and usually you don't notice since there are no announcements or anything and it's so easy to keep dwarves happy, the mother will probably still be ecstatic.

IIRC sleeping on the floor makes it more common, I don't know if anything else raises or lowers the chances.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

The only time I had second thoughts about my "assign a noble to a lever and lock the door behind them" approach to just starving out the nobles (until I get one that loves granite or something) was when I had a noble couple, and after a few months of them starving/dehydrating, I checked on them, and the one had a bad thought about having a miscarriage.

I now crush them with a cave-in trap.  No chance of miscarriage.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:47:07 pm »

Actually she's miserable, and all I recall ordering her to do was make bone crossbow bolts on repeat.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:43:04 pm »

I had it when my mayor was carrying a baby and stepped in magma. She was set on fire and the baby died. Somehow, she survived with only red wounds to the feet and when I checked the thoughts, it was there.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 02:09:21 am »

I had it when my mayor was carrying a baby and stepped in magma. She was set on fire and the baby died. Somehow, she survived with only red wounds to the feet and when I checked the thoughts, it was there.

That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 02:43:21 am »

That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."

Wow, that sure is one hell of a religion with that kind of baptism. Mind you, these days the baby would only bleed a little. They have plenty of fat to melt through.

Oh my, I'm a horrible person.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 02:49:40 am »

Hi!

I think BurnedToast pointed out the most important aspect: There is no real indication of it happening, no message, no corpse, nothing. So, given that most players seem to have quite large fortresses, it is quite easy not to notice that one mother skipped a year of breeding. Therefore, I am not sure about how uncommon it really is (even with my small population fortresses, I see it once in a while).

I think there are more factors that can contribute to miscarriages, but I have not been able to discern any particulars. But I do remember having cases where a dwarf had miscarriages in two years in a row.

Deathworks

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 03:10:09 am »

I once dug into an underground river, and had to wall off the lower parts of my fortress in a hurry. One of the masons of course walled herself in, and I had to leave her there. She was miserable, hunting vermin, swimming all the time. When I eventually rescued her, she had has a miscarriage. Puir wee lass.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:20 pm »

It appears to be random. There is no announcement for it, and can happen even with completely idle dwarves, such as nobles.

It gives a very unhappy thought, but assuming you have a good dining room and beds to sleep in it shouldn't cause the dwarf to go berserk. They'll still probably become unhappy, but merely unhappy is fine.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 01:50:14 pm »

i think sparring might cause it too because ive only ever had it in military dwarves
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 02:03:29 pm »

I've noticed it seems to happen much more frequently in .31  than it did (or seemed to at any rate) in .40d#.  Ime it happens shortly after  something has happened to stress out your dwarves. Such as a wild animal wondering down into your meeting zones, or ambushes, ect.  Admittedly part of this could be the result of me not setting up the legendary dining rooms, nice bedrooms and other happy makers as early in .31 as I did in 40d.  Which means I see the red arrow more often and am compelled to see why. *shrug*
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.
Pages: [1] 2