Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: XCOM 2011  (Read 16680 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM 2011
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 01:05:45 pm »

It bodes ill that this is what they brought to E3. XCOM or no, I think this is going to be a stain on all their resumes if they don't vastly improve on it in the next year or so.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »

Am I alone in thinking this looks pretty good? (But desperately needs to drop the X-com name for something original since it has no relation) So long as there are more enemies than just blobs, the combat is done well, and whatever level of strategy and management they introduce is decently done I could see this being a lot of fun. Though it would need a miracle to be x-com - if they get the gameplay and atmosphere just right it would be possible but it's safe to ignore that small chance.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:23:11 pm »

I agree, if they manage to add a variety of enemies, they do the combat well, and they include a decent level of strategy and management, the game will be good.

When you look at the trailer, though, that's not what I'm getting.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »

I don't understand why they're even using the name X-Com.
Yeah, I said something on the other thread about how hey didn't manage to acquire a X-Files IP instead. My mean assumption.

I agree, if they manage to add a variety of enemies, they do the combat well, and they include a decent level of strategy and management, the game will be good.

When you look at the trailer, though, that's not what I'm getting.
I wish... I bet it will be more like bioshock 2 than fallout 3. I doubt there will be any base building or any geoscape mode. Ie. They will tear all strategical and tactical elements of the game and deliver a stream-lined story based shooter.

I mean... It can turn out to be a good game... Just it will not be X-Com at all.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »

Generic black goo enemies have been done before, and this just comes off looking like a generic shooter

Actually they used the black goo to show off the physics engine as well as to show the splatters (for example the goo splatters stayed on the main character throughout). Especially the part where the goo knocked objects aside simply moving about.

I actually thought they were sort of cool for a starting enemy. They require careful shooting to kill without hurting civilians.

I think people are judging the gameplay a bit harshly for what was essentially the first mission. Imagine judging Bioshock from the first level where all you get is a Wrench.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »

BIOSHOCK 3 : HOLY FUCK OIL.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 03:20:12 pm »

Generic black goo enemies have been done before, and this just comes off looking like a generic shooter

Actually they used the black goo to show off the physics engine as well as to show the splatters (for example the goo splatters stayed on the main character throughout). Especially the part where the goo knocked objects aside simply moving about.

I actually thought they were sort of cool for a starting enemy. They require careful shooting to kill without hurting civilians.

I think people are judging the gameplay a bit harshly for what was essentially the first mission. Imagine judging Bioshock from the first level where all you get is a Wrench.

I'm judging the game based on the trailer they showed. They could've picked any part of gameplay to wow us, and they should've. Especially since they must be aware that they're fighting an uphill battle to convince people the game isn't just a shameless cash-in.

Having splatters isn't something new or exciting. Games have been doing that for ages. It's not like its dynamicly adding the goo to things as it moves, it's just dropping generic goo textures down as the monster moves around. The stuff on the characters gun could be anything, looks to me like it's just an overlay to the normal gun's texture. You probobly get it in a cut scene. And the physics engine isn't anything new either it doesn't compare favourably to, for example, any of the source engine games.

I'm honestly wondering if you've seen the same trailer I have. :S

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:23 pm »

That said if they make moar enemies and it's actually a good game I'd play it. I just think XCOM, at the moment, is the wrong name.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 03:31:01 pm »

Having splatters isn't something new or exciting

Having them STAY is new or at least rare. Not many games don't simply wash them away magically.

Though Dragonage had splatters of somesort... They were horrible and seemed to get into impossible locations.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 03:32:53 pm by Neonivek »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 03:34:54 pm »

Asking people to not comment on this games relation to the x-com games is a bit silly. It's obviously everyones goto topic about this.
Yep. We've got a somewhat generic shooter trailer and a name of a well known, well respected game. Aside from commenting on console graphics effects, there's nothing to say without mentioning it in relation to the legacy of the name.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

Having splatters isn't something new or exciting

Having them STAY is new or at least rare. Not many games don't simply wash them away magically.

Though Dragonage had splatters of somesort... They were horrible and seemed to get into impossible locations.

Really? I could've sworn many games do that?

Even so, this trailer doesn't show them staying, it just shows them being made then cuts to a different scene. The stuff on the gun is exactly the same as dragon age.

If they're trying to show off their new physics or splatter effects then they're doing a terrible job, becaue it isn't presented in a way that even implies it's new or unique in any way.

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:44 pm »

Uhh, having splatters STAY is a new, innovative feature? What the hell are you, some kind of guy who got into gaming with Wii Sports or something?
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 04:43:22 pm »

Maybe their strategy is that everyone will buy it to see if it's good?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 04:48:03 pm »

Uhh, having splatters STAY is a new, innovative feature? What the hell are you, some kind of guy who got into gaming with Wii Sports or something?

It represents a very VERY sad world where everyone claims they have a feature but few actually pull it off in a satisfactory way.

As for their overall strategy... I don't see where the game being horrible is or where it is generic either. Nor do I see the strong resemblence to Bioshock other then the old time appearance which could change as the game goes on.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 05:21:14 pm »

This couldn't be an X-Files game either, Soulwynd. X-Files takes place in the 90s. X-Com takes place in the 90s. The 90s is actually pretty heavy-set in supernatural culture (Vampire was big in the 90s, too). My God, the 90s are the perfect era for Aliens.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15