stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 30647 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 01:17:20 pm »

Since it's almost run into the ground, FPS and boredom

And strangely, boredom strikes more when the fps is lower
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »

I wonder if science could figure this out...

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »

just lost my first 31.06 fort to a forgotten beast

well technically I havent yet. considering in the initial fight the beast had his feet chopped off and every single body part is cut open and wounded (he's made of clear glass, but he's a flyer) I'm watching a very very slow forgotten beast slowly eat up my fortress while my useless dwarves are gathering wounded.

Awaiting the inevitable flood of suicidal melancholy to strike

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 02:13:25 pm »

I usually abandon after one of the important dwarves gets killed, or something happens that is fixable, but not worth the effort.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

I wonder if science could figure this out...

I am rarely getting bored while FPS is still high.
With less FPS, seasons take more time, every project takes longer to complete, and less interesting stuff happens at a given time, so game is generally much more boring.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 02:36:09 pm »

Are you implying the fps is actually a happiness/interest per second meter?

Or more profoundly, building/creating/digging creates interest/happiness, but takes it away from the HP/I per second?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 03:44:26 pm »

Other. Boredom gets almost every fort I've known of, the only exception being when I got too rich too fast and the goblins got interested before I got an army. I'm VERY slow to get an army. I prefer traps, those big elaborate ones that set fire to mass amounts of goblins WHILE DROWNING THEM.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 03:54:12 pm »

Goblin sieges are easy to deal with. Just raise the drawbridges and watch them sit helplessly outside with their grubby hands in their pockets.

Goblin ambushes, on the other hand... suffice it to say things can get difficult when they suddenly appear inside your fort.
That's why I always employ multiple AAC's (Anti-Ambush-Countermeasures, aka AWACS, Ambush Watching Attack Cat System). It's especially important for me, since 90% of my fledgling fortress' defense is a ballista battery in a long hall, and the other 10% is a drawbridge.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 04:00:50 pm »

Mostly I abandon because I get bored in the first few years, or I don't like the site. I've never lost a full-fledged fort, but I abandon the upstarts like crazy because I only have two miners, and no military, and no spare labor for megaconstructions.

I also lose the early forts to threats that would pose no problem to a larger one. Seven deaths are uncommon, but still likely in a larger fort. However, in a larger fort they just mean "Oh bugger I liked Urist. And Catten. And Bomrek. And Urist. And..." rather than "Your settlement has crumbled to its end."

Six deaths extends my usual playtime by a lot, though, simply because I like the hermit challenge. I started a fort in 40d where everyone but two people were immediately killed by fire imps igniting the world... and the survivors were lovers. That was fun.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »

FPS correlates with interest. Low FPS, of course, makes a game boring. High FPS is usually at the start, when things are still exciting and you have to get a fortress up before you are ambushed. Low FPS is at the end, when you have all the food, rooms, etc. you need and there's nothing left to do.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 04:47:11 pm »

I quit playing forts due to an accumulation of problematic architectural designs.
I knew I shoulda put a hallway there.
Or No, wait, I want the armory to be part of the military wing of level z-2.
Or I could've done that better.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 05:10:26 pm »

I hesitate to say starvation, but when you come down to it, it's true. With my forts, no matter what happens- be it a siege, a berserker or a tantrum spiral- starvation is always what ends up getting my forts. I pull through every other problem, but after them, I have no food. I generally play conservatively, so no digging for forgotten beasts or turning elf merchants into a fine paste. In the end, it's a failure, one way or another, to meet such a base need that brings down my fortresses. Not an enemy without or within, nor a major flaw in planning or a catastrophic accident. They may be a part of it, but what ends up taking me down is always hunger.

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:56 pm »

Boredom. Yeah, I feel like an elf for saying it, but it's true.
At some point, usually in the first year, I get a wave of 20+ immigrants -- soap-haulers and idlers, the lot of them.
I just want to build a fortress, not babysit my untrained (and apparantly untrainable), unequipped, burgeoning militia, trying to get them to do anything other than "Attending a party at the Limestone Table".

Edit: Technically, they don't "fall" to boredom, in my case. The (moody) player demands "entertainment", and walks away from them. I've never found an entertainment deposit, or obtained it as a side-effect of butchery.

Perhaps I just need to dig deeper, sooner.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 06:43:49 pm by Duke Drake »

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 05:31:26 pm »

i feel that the leading cause of fort failure is the 'learning curve'. right now i am still trying to re-learn the military in the new version, and not dealing with it in the best manner yet.

the number two cause of doomy doom is sheer boredom, where we do something we know is stupid on purpose.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

A majority of my fortresses fell due to starvation. At least, that was the case with Bloodfist most the time. Wavehandle almost fell to a goblin siege a few times.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15