stupid elves attacking my fort
- 2 (0.2%)
Magma and Elephants!!!
- 13 (1.6%)
Stupid elves and lava
- 2 (0.2%)
Starvation
- 51 (6.2%)
Dragons and Titans and Forgotten beasts. Oh my!
- 69 (8.4%)
Fortress Flooding!!!
- 32 (3.9%)
Demons!!!!
- 42 (5.1%)
Human Siege?
- 1 (0.1%)
Kobolds?
- 14 (1.7%)
Other
- 367 (44.6%)

Total Members Voted: 819

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Wonder how most forts fall?  (Read 30633 times)

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
Re: Wonder how most forts fall?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 06:09:02 pm »

Magma trap near the entrance corridor: it sprays magma (from a giant reservoir) on the invaders and then an emergency floodgates seals the entrance corridor off until the magma dries up.

Floodgate got stuck.

=> Tantrum spiral...

Tried to dig away but to no avail, plus food was destroyed by the advancing magma sea. Last dwarf died of thirst.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 06:48:02 pm »

Most die due to boredom. I tend to kill all my dwarves because I find abandoning boring.
Last fort was filling with water for hours untill all dwarves had died.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 07:49:52 pm »

Do you want to know how my last fortress fell!?  Do you really want to know!?  One word...Camels!  Yes, fracking camels!!  They meandered into my fort before I had a proper defense or military set up.  They didn't really hurt anyone.  I just got spammed with job cancellations because "OMG CAMEL!!!"  So I got a whole bunch of dwarves not getting anything done because....CAMELS!!!  Of course I tried to draft a quick military to take care of them.  That turned into a Benny Hill segment real quick.  Fun to watch for the first couple of minutes but after the first month or two it gets really old.  So there was only one thing left for me to do.  Abandon and start over.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 10:38:39 pm »

Generally FPS.
Perhaps I should've atom smashed the 16000 fucking stones I had that one time..

Urist McFumbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 11:07:18 pm »

FPS nuff said even on a small region and 2x2 embark. With all industries going full blast and no restrictions on immigration, my forts come to a 1 FPS halt by year 17 - 20. Temperature, Invaders and Flow Numbers on.

I absolutely refuse to limit my immigration numbers and industries just to conserve FPS as that would defeat the point of playing DF in the first place.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:59 am »

Boredom is the main killer. Most of my forts never actually fall, I simply stop playing them once the challenge is gone and the particular goals I may have had for them are met. FPS isn't quite so big a problem for me - I've got a hefty computer and an equally hefty patience for slow forts as long as there's something interesting to look forward to. If all I have to look forward to is another flawless siege-mashing or another unicorn-soap-and-clear-glass-pyramid just like the one I've already finished building there isn't much point.

I stopped playing a few forts recently due to frustration at bugs, I guess those probably count as "falling" since I stopped playing them due to catastrophic failures or insurmountable problems. But those problems were usually of the variety of "there's a lone goblin pikeman hanging out in my entrance for years on end, but my military refuses to pick up any weapons or train and therefore get completely massacred if I send them to clear him off". I don't think those count as regular failures.

I have yet to open the new Fun Stuff, though my current fort is getting close to considering it. That may shake things up a bit. Though they're actually equipping both axes and armor, and training somehow, so I may do okay. We'll see.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 01:28:28 am »

I have yet to open the new Fun Stuff, though my current fort is getting close to considering it. That may shake things up a bit. Though they're actually equipping both axes and armor, and training somehow, so I may do okay. We'll see.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:44 am »

Hi!

FPS making the game unplayable lead the list, followed currently by new version release.
Also a favorite one is death of a dwarf I like.

Deathworks

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 03:53:30 am »

Usually death by thirst.
Not helped by the fact that dwarves in .06 seem to be reluctant to drink from water unless it is designated a water supply, and I don't usually have a farming industry up quick enough to get some brewers going.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 04:08:25 am »

My first fort to die in the new version(outside of issues with immortal undead and so on) died recently due to extremely bad luck.

Up until then, whenever a forgotten beast made of inorganic material arrived, I sent my military to fight anyway. They break all of it's limbs and the whole thing has body in the red? They won, use an utility to kill the thing.

What I didn't expect was that what would trigger the end of my fortress was a beast with deadly dust. A huge worm of some sort. It went down fast, but during the battle there was a lot of dust going around.

Turns out that dust made the soldiers bodies swell up with their own blood, while their bodies rotted both inside and outside. All but two soldiers died. Luckily I had kept my fort pumping out goods, and it seemed the survivors were too happy to be devastated by the death of all their friends.

But this still left me with a military of two and not seventeen which used to be moments before.

Migrants arrive, and the military is remade, twenty dwarves strong, weapons are handed out and so is masterwork steel armor.

Then the goblins arrive.

The civilians flee for their lives, the military stands strong. And that's when things went really bad. The goblins broke the backs of the military and the new recruits, and one of the two surviving veterans died when charging the enemy after the ranks at the gates were smashed apart.

The goblins did flee and only a few civilians died, but now I had a military of four people, two of them hospitalized.

Miraculously, a small migrant wave arrives soon after. All of them were drafted.

That's when Ost, the towering humanoid of horn silver arrived. So I sent my military to fight, again.

Things went bad again.

No one was able to put even one dent to the thing, I don't know if it was something off with horn silver values, or if my dwarves simply weren't strong enough(the two surviving veterans weren't even close to the best dwarves my military had).

Whatever it was, Ost took blows like being slapped with wet noodle, and one by one, punched my poor military to submission, crushing skulls and so on. And then he/she/it grabbed a pair of masterpiece steel greaves from one of my soldiers, and began beating everyone to a pulp with it.

And he did.

Every single dwarf in that fort at that point died because a horn silver humanoid grabbed a pair of steel greaves, and bashed them all to death with it. I think the defining moment was when Ost lodged the greaves in someone's wound and twisted them around.

So while this was a combination of things that went horribly wrong, I would have to say the forgotten beasts pose the greatest of potential threats a fort can face. If you're unlucky, of course. The beast before the worm, which also had deadly dust, only made blisters appear on the skin.

I might have gotten a tad careless at that point. It was still fun though.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 05:40:34 am »

Boredom and new ideas mostly. The first few years are more fun.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 05:44:59 am »

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 06:32:01 am »

I keep abandoning sucessful forts to try each new version of df2010.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 07:14:28 am »

I keep abandoning sucessful forts to try each new version of df2010.
The saves are compatible you know...

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:48:47 am »

Right. My present fort has been condemned to death when an ocean titan turned up. Natrually, with only 18 residents and no military, it was a case of PANIC GET EVERYONE INSIDE SEAL IT OFF.

Problem. My farms and food are on the surface.

As is my drinking water.

And the plants I was going to make into booze.

I'm now watching in abject horror as my entire fort succumbs to thirst, as I can't dig up to the sea as the damn titan would get in, and I can't dig down to the caverns because my first miner has gone stark raving mad and is clinging onto his pick, and the other is tantrumming and bashing people with his.

Either way. I'm boned.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15