Are Eragon books good? (Please post)

Yes!
Quite.
Undecided.
No, they're pretty bad.
No, they're terrible.
Don't care. / View poll.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Eragon / The Inheritance Cycle  (Read 9068 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eragon / The Inheritance Cycle
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2010, 05:08:54 pm »

That would be nice too, although it'd take away some of the feeling of accomplishment.

Flagrarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »

The first one was...mediocre, but I still read it just because it had been a gift.

I'm glad I decided to borrow the second book from the library though. It was, well, I don't remember. At all. Not even the title :o I remember it bored me though. And I read through the Wheel of Time series, even Crossroads of Twilight, so I think I can safely say that I am willing to endure boringness, as long as I still believe it might get less boring later on ( which it did ). But I just sort of gave up on the Inheritance Cycle, which in retrospect seems very uncharacteristic of me.

So I guess it must have been really boring :) Like this post.

PS: Thanks for the link to the sporkings, those at least manage to keep my attention.  :)
I've had my name said wrong at least 10 times so far in my whole forum life.
Oh, HORROR! This is clearly a travesty of untold proportions! The typo gods truly have brought their wrath down upon this poor man!

Pathos

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2010, 04:58:31 pm »

Some of these fans are seriously rabid. Truly. It's hilarious poking fun at them.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2010, 02:50:15 am »

The series is... decent, but I have a few reservations, namely concerning the protagonist's constant vacillation between the stereotypes of Lovesick Angsty Teenager and Wise Powerful Warrior (sound like a certain young wizard to anyone?) The author's ideas about magic are original and intriguing in the least. The dialog is often tacky, kind of like a soap opera in a fantasy setting. Characters are over-described in some situations and under-described in others.

By far my favorite part of the series so far has been picking apart all of the Tropes present and then (and only then) reading the TV Tropes page.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Pathos

« Reply #124 on: June 14, 2010, 03:34:56 am »

The series is... decent, but I have a few reservations, namely concerning the protagonist's constant vacillation between the stereotypes of Lovesick Angsty Teenager and Wise Powerful Warrior (sound like a certain young wizard to anyone?)

It's actually the character of Belgarion from the Belgariad. (Except that character was far more human.) The "silver palm" thing, the Brom character, some of the scenes from the first book... All ripped from the Belgariad.

The author's ideas about magic are original and intriguing in the least.

They're actually not. See: Earthsea. (Hell, even the concept of an "ancient language" is ripped off from there. The only change is that it's the elves' language and not the dragons.)

The dialog is often tacky, kind of like a soap opera in a fantasy setting. Characters are over-described in some situations and under-described in others.

This is definitely true. Paolini seems to get swept up in his own prose.

By far my favorite part of the series so far has been picking apart all of the Tropes present and then (and only then) reading the TV Tropes page.

I personally prefer to find all the plagiarism or borderline plagiarism. =p
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]