Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Roughnesschants, the City  (Read 9140 times)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Roughnesschants, the City
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:48:14 am »

Hello all.

In a fit of ego, I have decided to show off my current project, which may qualify as a megaproject, I'm not sure.

Roughnesschants! (You kinda have to see the whole thing. No one screenshot really shows it)

Basically, what I decided to do was an above-ground city, made entirely of constructions, with a city center to start, and later areas added as districts. My inspiration was the old Big Huge Games title Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends. In that game, players started with a city, and expanded it by adding districts of various types. Also, the art style was very vertical. I've tried to follow this spirit as best as I can here.

Since the project is pretty early on, it isn't that impressive, but once 100+ dwarves arrive, then the districting should work well.

Please leave comments in the thread, please leave flames about how I'm an elven pansy with no beard and a sun fetish at the door.

UPDATE: In case you don't want to read the whole thread, I'm in the process of tearing down and rebuilding the city.

UPDATE (July 26, 2010): I'm continuing to add to the city. My first new districts are added.
Latest map is on DFMA.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 07:24:01 pm by Shadowfury333 »
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roughnesschants, the megacity
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:31:56 am »

More like mega village  :P
Good start, for a above ground construction it's fairly big I suppose, but megacity is pushing it a bit.  It actually seems more like a castle than city at the moment.  I would go with more sprawl and then continue upwards once the lower levels are built up a bit, to improve on the "city" feeling. 

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »

Like I said, you kinda have to play Rise of Legends to get where I'm coming from. Also, I mean to make it more like an arcology, rather than a traditional sprawling ground-level city
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:37:33 pm »

Your dwarves are pretending to be human!  That's funny.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:45 pm »

I'd have to agree with Kazang. It's very small.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »

If you want to see a real megacity, take a look at Flarechannel.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:41:28 pm »

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:40:05 pm »

Or Copperblazes, though that's underground and the 2D version.

Undergrotto was produced through shameless cheating also, which spoils the glory quite a bit. It's nice to look at, but it wasn't an accomplishment.

I'm going to have to agree that your current setup looks too small and cramped. Even if you're going for an arcology, a true megacity should have a lot of open space and architectural features. Right now it's just four massive multilayered boxes stuck together- slightly impressive logistically, but it doesn't look like much.

Also consider thicker walls for the exterior. It's a waste of time and materials practically, but makes megaprojects look much more impressive and believable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:20 pm »

Spoiler: derail (click to show/hide)

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 01:38:44 am »

Hmm, I see. This has given me much to think about. I suppose I'll remove the "mega" bit, but keep in mind this has just started, as in 3 in game years, so it still has a ways to go.

Really, this is more of an experiment in modular/districted fort design, though I suppose I have a natural tendency towards the compact,efficient, and necessary (needless to say, I haven't been playing DF that long). As it is now, I keep thinking I used too much space, and have to remind myself that more dwarves will come to fill it, and also that it looks more impressive with more space used.

My next project will involve a giant area in the middle of a dug out hemisphere. with tunnels and bridges connecting the main area to the outside world, and with plenty of sections connected to those tunnels, which should be more impressive (for an idea, check out the ant colony video in DF general discussion)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:45:52 am by Shadowfury333 »

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: Roughnesschants, the budding arcology
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 04:25:49 am »

Makes me want to try overground settlement too again at some point.
Preferably on a hillside with artificial walks and the likes...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 11:40:31 am »

He's my take on it:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6594-snaketributes

Its not really a city though, more of a castle or fortress. Includes a fortified keep for the nobles.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:12 pm »

I'm an elven pansy with no beard and a sun fetish.

You're not alone, brother.  I have trouble building a fortress that isn't at least half above-ground towers.  And I like to wall in large amounts of forest to protect the dwarves while they enjoy nature.

We should start a Sun Lovers Anonymous club.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 12:57:09 pm »

Nearly all of my fortresses are below ground, I just sometimes get a little...err...carried away on building the above ground fortifications.  :D

Just a hole in the ground leading to your fortress is not impressive enough. I first end up with a small little tower keep. Really just a small guard tower. Then the guard tower gets a little cramped because I need more watchtowers, then courtyards, then curtain walls, then gigantic windmill farms to power magma or water traps...

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

We should start a Sun Lovers Anonymous club.

The first step is admitting you have a problem...
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2