Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty Tile  (Read 3427 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Empty Tile
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:22:24 am »

Basically, I was modifying my depot/farm flooder to allow for belowground flooding, and a square was acting oddly. My guys refused to build a wall in the square I wanted them to because there were rocks there. When I marked the (unforbidden) rocks for dumping they wouldn't dump them. However, after un- and re-designating, forbidding etc, the tile now contains the image of a rock but when I hover over it with K nothing at all appears as on that square... Once the ice melts my fort will flood unless I can build this wall, and when I try now it says 'Blocked'...

Here is the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2508
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: Empty Tile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:41:19 am »

This has always bugged me - if I tell my dorfs to build a wall they should be able to clear the site of any damn rocks lying around instead of cancelling the job because it's in the way. They do this for ANY other constructed object (beds, doors, etc) why not for walls/floors/et al?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:07 pm »

I've seen this bug as well in 40D.

It involved snow on a ramp I had carved into ice. Somehow that made the tile "blank." It was just an empty void, a black square that had nothing. Couldn't build anything there. I was never able to use that tile ever again. Luckily it was in an out of the way place so it didn't impact things. I was never able to replicate it either.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:37 pm »

Ah, now you mention it, the tile was originally a ramp carved from ice... I will put it in the bug tracker since it isn't just a one-off.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 05:10:28 pm »

I have no idea how to replicate it though. I had carved a huge ice castle in 40D, and of all of the thousands of ramps I had carved while leveling the glacier, there was only a single tile that had gone empty. Snow is involved in some way, that much I do know. Perhaps water may have a similar effect, some sort of covering on the ramp tile.

Also this was back in 40D, which is ancient history by now. There isn't much point in reporting a bug for 40D unless its still happening in 31.XX.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:12:01 pm by Hyndis »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Ah, this is something that has been heard of before. I have seen it referred to as the Ice Ramp Existence Hole

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 06:32:22 pm »

This has always bugged me - if I tell my dorfs to build a wall they should be able to clear the site of any damn rocks lying around instead of cancelling the job because it's in the way. They do this for ANY other constructed object (beds, doors, etc) why not for walls/floors/et al?
They do, barring things that are forbidden or used in another construction job.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »

Try using DFHack to spawn obsidian on the tile. Maybe that will make it usable again.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »

I had "muddy empty space" in one cave. It would randomly produce cave-ins when nothing was happening nearby.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 05:28:09 am »

I've seen the same behavior in cramped spaces with other furniture, it happens usually when you build something on a tile where there are 2+ rocks, and among the adjacent tiles only one doesn't have a wip construction.

When I do 4x1 bedrooms and place all the furniture this happens for exactly the same reason.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 05:52:54 am »

It happens only because the object on the tile is used in another job. Stop misleading people :).

And I've got a "void tile" on a glacier in 40d, but  I don't know what caused it, so it's not new. Or at least looks like that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 08:08:36 am »

If there is any object on the spot that is being tasked for something, including for building the wall on the exact same spot, it won't go through. Took me a while to figure out when building a temporary divider in my fort.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:24 am »

They do, barring things that are forbidden or used in another construction job.

I've seen the same behavior in cramped spaces with other furniture, it happens usually when you build something on a tile where there are 2+ rocks, and among the adjacent tiles only one doesn't have a wip construction.

When I do 4x1 bedrooms and place all the furniture this happens for exactly the same reason.

If there is any object on the spot that is being tasked for something, including for building the wall on the exact same spot, it won't go through. Took me a while to figure out when building a temporary divider in my fort.

You guys seem to have misunderstood. The problem is that they refused to move something, a bunch of stuff happened, but now the tile shows up as completely empty. I know stones can block building when they are going to be used in another task, that isn't the same thing.
Huggz