Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So its my birthday today.  (Read 1952 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: So its my birthday today.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 11:01:25 pm »

Death days? NO!

THIS IS BIRTHDAAAAAY!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »

Happy birthday! *Throws Volatar a masterwork adamantine axe* Volatar has been struck down....oops.....
Hahahahaha.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 01:41:33 am »

It is someone's death day today.
Out of 15326 members, there is a 37% chance that it is the death day of a registered member of this forum.

I confused, are you saying that one in a hundred thousand people on Earth die every day?

EDIT: Did a quick calculation with a figure I assume is still relevant (15 people die per second), and only about a million people should die per day. With a six billion figure, that actually does equal out to about one in 4500 people. So I guess there is a 37% chance that somebody on the forum died today.

Assuming everybody on the forum lives in Africa.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 01:43:55 am by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:42 am »

An easier way is to just take the amount of days in the average lifespan.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

Out of 15326 members, there is a 37% chance that it is the death day of a registered member of this forum.

I confused, are you saying that one in a hundred thousand people on Earth die every day?

EDIT: Did a quick calculation with a figure I assume is still relevant (15 people die per second), and only about a million people should die per day. With a six billion figure, that actually does equal out to about one in 4500 people. So I guess there is a 37% chance that somebody on the forum died today.

I went off the world rate of 1 out of 133 per year.

That means 365 out of every 48545
Or, 1 per day for every 48545 people.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 04:17:31 pm »

I went off the world rate of 1 out of 133 per year.

That means 365 out of every 48545
Or, 1 per day for every 48545 people.
I think the point of the "assuming everyone on the forum lives in africa" was that africa kind of screws up the curve of average deaths, and that the chance is actually lower assuming everyone is in a first world country (of course, you'd really also have to take into account that there could be a sizeable number of forum members who are already dead, since accounts aren't deleted on death...).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2010, 05:41:20 pm »

The United States death rate is 8.38 deaths/1,000 population (July 2009 est.)
This equals into about 1 for every 119.332 people.
That is a greater rate than the world average. And before you think of crime, England's is higher at 1 per about 100, and Canada's is lower at about 1 per 130. Swaziland ruins my curve at 1 per 33, but then you got the Palestinians with their rate of 1 per 290. And ruining it all, people don't die in Dubai, with the UAE's 1 per 473.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 2 [3]