Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reasonable History: Local before global  (Read 953 times)

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reasonable History: Local before global
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:39:40 pm »

This is a simple tweak I'd like to suggest, because this has been bugging me for a long time...

While I like the way engraving is done, it's really starting to get way too convoluted. When I engrave 100+ wall tiles, I'd like at least 10 of them to be about the history of my fort, not the "Second Journey of the Human Dalas Regas" or "The taming of the tigers in The Sheathed Steppes". It's nice to have some pieces that are about regional history, but it gets away from the importance of the site when the only tale scribbled on the wall by the engravers is how the leader traveled from somewhere, or when the king of 'Place we dont care about' took over in 'year that dosen't really matter'. Even if it's just small stuff like a engraving of, well, lets say the recent traders and how they left, or a animal being adopted, a birth, or even some item being crafted.(Or death records... I would find those very usefull.)

I guess what I'm asking is for more of the fortress history to... you know, be part of the fortress.

Edit: Looking back, I do realize that masterwork items are recorded, but I seem to only see them rarely, if ever..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:41:37 pm by nymall »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reasonable History: Local before global
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:50:12 pm »

Some of it is a byproduct of time...you've got to have history to get history.  I get a lot more local news on my walls 11 years in compared to in year 2 or 3.

Of course, apparently the only thing of note that happened around here was the taming of some giant eagles 151 years ago, so...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:18:25 am »

It gets me when the stuff they engrave is stuff they really shouldn't even know about.

Every fort I've ever had (after they were made) features somebody engraving an image of Frosterases the adamantine trousers on something. I don't remember what fort I made those in, but hot damn do my dwarves obsess over those magic pants.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:33:41 am »

Every fort I've ever had (after they were made) features somebody engraving an image of Frosterases the adamantine trousers on something. I don't remember what fort I made those in, but hot damn do my dwarves obsess over those magic pants.

Maybe that was your civilization's thing.  They really had nothing else going for them except magical pants.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:40:01 am »

I sometimes get the feeling that if something is engraved this increases the chance of it beeing engraved again. It's also worth noting that most of your dwarfs would have come to your fort and have only been there for a few years. This means that they probably know more about the history of the rest of your world then that of your fort.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.