Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gishdistzimkel Onor, Frozenplains of Despair  (Read 5261 times)

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gishdistzimkel Onor, Frozenplains of Despair
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:17 pm »

Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at a Dwarf Fortress story; I'm not sure how long this will go on for, I wanted to try something interesting with this fort as I've been getting a little bored lately with some of the more "normal" forts, we'll see how it goes :)

Gishdistzimkel Onor, Frozenplains of Despair

From the journal of Ral Ilidalath, leader of Gishdistzimkel Onor.

9th Granite:
   Blast this damn cold, who in Armok thought this was a good region to build a fortress in? We've been travelling for what seems like weeks now without sight of anything but snow and ice, the mountains loom on the horizon but barely look any larger as the days go on. It's been two weeks since we lost contact with the second wagon in a fierce snowstorm; we can only hope they've fared better than us. Most of our supplies were with them, we've only got food and the meager supplies we've carried on our backs. We fall asleep at night to the sounds of wolves howling in the distance and the wind whistling in our ears.

14th Granite:
   #$^!*, this journey gets worse every day; the wagon broke a wheel and I don't know if we can fix it. The carpenter was with the other group; Mosus, our mason, is taking a look at it but night is falling soon.

15th Granite:
   Mosus, labored away this morning trying to fix the broken wheel but only succedded in shattering it; the cold is doing no good for anyone.

16th Granite:
   We heard more wolves last night, they seem to have been following us; we even caught sight of one this morning prowling about. With a broken wagon, wolves closing in, and nothing on the horizon we have no hope but to do what dwarves do best, dig in and hope for the best.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

18th Granite:
   I've taken inventory of our supplies and it doesn't look good; the only tools we have are 3 picks. There is some good news though, we've got enough food & booze to last for a while and a sword. I've given the sword to an old caravan guard, at least he knows what to do with the thing. I've ordered the miners to dig a moat around the wagon to try and ward off these wolves; they've also begun to dig down where they've finally hit stone. We'll have some shelter there and we can move the food inside soon; hopefully that'll keep us safe from the cold and wildlife.

23rd Granite:
   Those wolves got adventurous yesterday and approached in a small pack. The dogs spotted them first and intercepted them before they could pounce on the miners still digging the moat. The dogs barely lasted a minute before they were torn to shreds though. Zon was off getting drunk and scrambled up when he heard the dogs warning but couldn't find his sword, the wind had burried it in a snow drift and he couldn't find it before the wolves closed in and sent everyone running. He bravely charged the wolves though and somehow managed to hold them off strangling a couple and scaring the rest off; he barely had a scratch on him too, praise Armok. After the battle we found his sword and I promptly lashed it to his side so he doesn't lose the damn thing again.

28th Granite:
   The nights are cold and we still fall asleep to the sounds of wolves. At least we have fresh meat now; I've ordered a butcher's shop promptly built above ground to process the corpses. I've ordered immediate excavation of some rooms to store the food so it doesn't spoil, or freeze solid. We still see wolves prowling about during they day, they're planning something, even more reason to finish this moat and get underground quickly.

12th Slate:
   The wolves attacked again but this time we were prepared. The moat is solid but doesn't offer much protection yet, the miners should finish digging out the sides soon and I've ordered a wall constructed to prevent the wolves from jumping up the side and to keep out the blasted wind. Zon managed to spot the wolves first and had his sword drawn before they reached the moat, he charged out after them hoping to redeem himself. By the time I reached the surface, as I was underground surveying the digging, I saw but a lone wolf being hewn asunder by Zon's sword. He was standing there covered in wolf blood, the blade splattering blood in arcs over the fresh snow; four more corpses lay behind him. More fresh meat, at least we won't starve out here.

20th Slate:
   It's amazing we've managed to last this long in this frozen wasteland. Zon has fended off another attack and we haven't heard much from the wolves since then. The wall is nearly finished now, hopefully this should protect us against those wolves when they come back. Everyone's been complaining about sleeping accommodations so I've ordered some rooms dug out and the wagon torn apart to make some beds. The wood was doing no good there anyways, the wagon has been battered by the wind and had begun falling apart.

2nd Hematite:
   The livestock has taken to wandering just outside the walls, no ones tried to keep them inside after one of the miners got a kick in the shin a while back and since there's been no sighting of wolves it wasn't seen as being urgent. That and no one seems to want to work, they just stay hudled up downstairs trying to stay warm. The miners still dig though, they say it keeps them warm. So far they've found gold and copper; for all the good it does us, we've got no means to do anything with it. Well, yesterday a monster appeared and began chasing the horse around outside. It appeared to be made of pure ice and sent the horse in a frenzy galloping wildly around the perimeter. Zon finally gathered up the courage to approach it before it killed the livestock. He was scared at first but managed to slay the beast easily, he loped off its head in one quick slash; this must be what's been keeping the wolves away. The fool was exhausted though and feel asleep on the spot, maybe I've been working him too much; he's been keeping watch above ground most of the time.

24th Hematite:
   I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I laid sight on three figures on the horizon; I had no idea what to expect out here but was pleasently surprised to see three of our companions from the second wagon approaching. The figures were solid white, their clothes and beards encrusted in ice; how they managed to survive I don't know, they avoid talking about what's happened to them. We quickly ushered them inside and filled them with beer and meat. Everyone slept well last night finally having something to feel good about. I keep thinking about what's to come though, our food stores are getting smaller and there have been no more wolves to fill the stockpiles; even worse the beer is quickly running out. All everyone does is sleep and drink booze; I may have to impose rations here but I fear causing a riot, all they have is their booze.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:46:32 am by Aeg1s »

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gishdistzimkel Onor, Frozenplains of Despair
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:09 pm »

26th Hematite:
   We've finally managed to collect all the livestock and shove them into a cage hastily made from the last planks from the wagon; our lone cat continues to roam about wherever she pleases, the cage couldn't be made without holes she could squeeze through. Another of those blizzard men showed up today and went chasing after her; Zon had to go chasing after the beast but wasn't able to get there until she was seriously wounded, I don't know if she'll survive.

4th Malachite:
   I need to distract my companions from the everpresent dangers and the monotony of the continuing days; if I don't do something they'll drink all the beer! One of the new arrivals is an experienced bone carver so I put him to work on all the wolf remains we have laying about upstairs; I make up some half-assed excuse for making trinkets but they seem to accept any distraction readily. One of the masons went to work making some statues, I'll have to find a place to put them; at least we'll have something to look at instead of the blinding snow that never seems to stop falling.

6th Galena:
   Another of the ice monsters attacked last night, this time managing to sneak inside the wall. Vabok, the bone carver was on watch and managed to yell out before getting mauled by the beast. Zon rushed to her rescue quickly felling the beast; he's become quite adept at killing them now and their heads usually fly off after a quick slice from the blade he always seems to be sharpening. Vabok tried to stammer inside but kept collapsing; we've hastily put together a hospital, if you call a room with a bed a hospital, and placed her there to rest. The doc says she needs water not booze; blasphemy I say, booze is the lifeblood of us dwarves. We're surrounded in ice but have no way to melt the damn stuff; I've ordered the miners to dig deeper, perhaps we can find some water or something down there that will help us. Surely it can't get much worse, although I've heard stories...

16th Galena:
   The miners have unearthed a giant cavern underground; they can hear water down there -- and other sounds... I don't want to rush blindly into this so have ordered them to dig around the cavern for now, maybe we can find a way to get that water. There's also soil down there, maybe we can grow something if we can secure some land and find some seeds; hell maybe I'm hallucinating but maybe we have a chance to survive here.

28th Galena:
   I can't believe it but the lone cat has managed to survive, and she was apparently impregnated before our other cat died to the wolves. Maybe the kittens will bring a smile to our faces.

16th Limestone:
   We've been preparing a reservoir to capture some of the water down in the caverns but I've been holding off breaching the lake until we have defenses in place; construction is going slowly with no one knowledgable about defenses, we've got some stonefall traps in place but I'm being extra cautious here. It's been quite up top lately but we have to remain vigilant on watch.

5th Sandstone:
   Vabok died today, doc says it was from lack of water. The two kittens had taken a liking to her too; they've been sleeping by her side. They're not as lively today and have been lying on the bed where she's still laying; I've ordered a coffin built, the least we can do is give her a proper burial.

17th Sandstone:
   The miners, not content to do nothing, have discovered another cavern deep below our camp. One of them claims there's magma down there but I haven't seen the stuff. We're preparing to breach the first cavern and create our well soon; I'll be moving Zon down there to watch the miners when they breach the cavern. I hope nothing takes that oppurtunity to approach from above. I plan on sealing the entrance quickly thereafter, our main goal is to get water here; the booze is running low. Strike that, the booze is gone; we'll have to go soon.

Here's a map of what the "fortress" currently looks like; most of it is confined to some rooms at the very top.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8930-desp

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:08:20 pm »

I'm liking it a lot. Especially how the migrants are other folk. Can we get dorfed?
Meowth! That's right!

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:13:33 pm »

I'm liking it a lot. Especially how the migrants are other folk. Can we get dorfed?

Sure, any preference on profession/gender? I just got some new "migrants" bringing the total up to 18 dwarfs now.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »

Male.

Ireheart Axebane

Aspiring Axeman. Will cut trees or goblins, preferrably the latter. Wishes to raise social status.

So millitary. or woodcutter.
Meowth! That's right!

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:23:22 pm »

Male.

Ireheart Axebane

Aspiring Axeman. Will cut trees or goblins, preferrably the latter. Wishes to raise social status.

So millitary. or woodcutter.

Alright, here you go:

I've got some mushroom trees in mind once I feel safe sending him down there; I recently acquired a training axe which I've heard will do, we'll have to see about getting him a proper axe.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:26:18 pm »

I qoute-  "He is weak. He is slow to heal. He is very flimsy."

Sounds like a challenge to raise social status and opinion. He will rise from the bottom!
Meowth! That's right!

Jargle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 12:06:27 am »

You should do something about those updown staircases that lead into the caverns- on level 48 of yourfort, you should pave over those updown stairs that lead right into the cavern.  A flying forgotten beast can go right through there into your fort. 

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 12:37:59 am »

You should do something about those updown staircases that lead into the caverns- on level 48 of yourfort, you should pave over those updown stairs that lead right into the cavern.  A flying forgotten beast can go right through there into your fort.

Yeah, what's the best way to go about doing that without getting dwarves trapped?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 12:49:38 am »

Uhhhhh......
but poor creativity.
and
has a fertile imagination
don't go together. :P
To avoid the dorfs getting stuck, put a wall construction designation there, and then (q)-(s)uspend it, but don't cancel it yet. I think that makes dwarves not move there. Then you can pace freely. More or less.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 12:52:54 am »

Uhhhhh......
but poor creativity.
and
has a fertile imagination
don't go together. :P

He can imagine, but he can't convert that to a physical creation.

To avoid the dorfs getting stuck, put a wall construction designation there, and then (q)-(s)uspend it, but don't cancel it yet. I think that makes dwarves not move there. Then you can pace freely. More or less.

I need to remove the down part of an up-down stair way which I don't know how to do. After some quick experimenting I'm thinking the best way is to dig over and down to the bottom level then pave over the existing stair way that has exposed the cavern; a little messy but gets the job done.

cecilkorik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:16 am »

You can just construct an upward staircase right overtop of the carved up-down staircase, and it will override it. It behaves identically to a constructed floor, except it also has an up staircase on it.

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 07:10:31 am »

You can just construct an upward staircase right overtop of the carved up-down staircase, and it will override it. It behaves identically to a constructed floor, except it also has an up staircase on it.

Ah ok, thanks; I had thought about this but wasn't sure it would act as a floor.

Aeg1s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:35 am »

2nd Timber:
   Damn, the booze is gone; this is not good. 9 more survivors managed to wander into our camp today; they come with horror stories of the wastelands that surround us. This complicates the situation even more; with double the population the food & drink issue becomes even more important. We've got enough meat to last for a while still, thanks to those wolves, but I've ordered the immediate completion of our well in the caverns seeing as we can't go any longer without it. I hope we don't run into trouble down there, I'm still not completely satisfied with the defenses but we do have many traps lining the corridor to where we're going to breach the cavern.

11th Timber:
   Water! Praise Armok. The dwarf who breached the cavern immediately rushed to the underground lake and quenched his thirst ignoring any potential dangers; the channel was completed shortly thereafter and we then promptly threw a door in place and locked it not yet ready to venture further into the caverns. As the water began pouring into our reservoir half the fortress stampeded down the stairs to drink from the small pool. I'll have to see if one of these new dwarfs knows pumping and mechanics; it'd be nice to have the water nearer to the surface where its needed instead of having to trudge down the 32 levels to reach it.

18th Timber:
   Praise Armok, our luck continues. It appears a merchant caravan was following long behind us to resupply our new fortress and they've managed to stumble upon our outpost here. With our population up to 18 though the caravan doesn't have enough room to take us out of this cursed place but hopefully they can reach home and bring news of our plight. We promptly hauled out the bone crafts Vabok made before being mauled by the blizzard man and the caravan was quick to accept them in return for a large portion of their goods. We've acquired more food, a bunch of wood (finally we can get some more beds), some barrels of cloth, another pick, a couple dogs to replace the two we lost, a cow, an anvil which they practically gave away (they don't seem to want to haul the damn thing any longer), and a wooden axe which they assured me will cut down these fungal trees that grow underground. The only thing they wouldn't part with was their booze though they were kind enough to share some over a meal. Once the wagons were unloaded the next day they were quick to be on their way; I think I heard their leader muttering something about moving to warmer climates.

1st Moonstone:
   With new supplies and a renewed vigor I've ordered the expansion of our small living spaces. Part of the food we acquired should be brewable; we've got plenty of food so its worth trying however the stuff turns out. One of the dwarves has an affinity for animals and has taken to the pair of dogs, he claims to be able to train them to fight; at least it'll give him something to do. I'm scrambling trying to find tasks to keep the new arrivals busy lest they return to thoughts of the horrid waste that surrounds us and threatens us with death every day.

1st Opal:
   The lad that took to "training" the pair of dogs has announced the task completed; I've assigned the dogs to Zon to keep him company on guard duty and hopefully aid in any fighting he must do.

24th Opal:
   Zon spotted a polar bear roaming around outside our walls; I can't see the beast, but he's got better eyes than me and swears its out there. How he can see a beast covered in white in this blizzard I don't know; in any case the dogs seem more alert hinting at its pressence as well. I've ordered the construction of a draw bridge outside so we can seal ourselves in this "fort" if the need arises; Zon is overseeing the construction while the threat of that bear attacking still remains.

15th Obsidian:
   The bridge construction was complete today and a lever hooked up; I fear trying to test it since those crazed cats still roam freely around outside and if one of them was on the thing when it raised I'd never hear the end of it; some of these fool dwarves have grown attached to the damn things.

27th Granite:
   With the lack of wolves outside I've ordered the meat processing facilities moved indoors; we've got enough livestock here, and they're breeding now, that we'll have fresh meat whenever we need it. The old, hastily constructed, buildings were burried in snow drifts having sat unused outside for the better part of the year. Construction has begun on a barracks near the entrance where the guard can sleep more soundly and still provide some protection for us; I'll have to draft a couple of these dwarves soon enough, the threat of attacks from the caverns below still looms and I may have to station some dwarves down there. I'll have to find a way to arm them though, a wooden axe won't do. Zon will be happy to have someone to share guard duty with too; his face looks to have turned permanantly whiter from staying out in the sun and snow so long. A dwarf should not be made to stay outdoors for this long, let alone in these conditions.

4th Slate:
   Some of the fools have been talking about starting a farm; we've got a lot of seeds left over from our brewing and the extra food production wouldn't hurt but I'm wary of venturing further into those caverns. Nonetheless I've ordered construction to begin, we're proceeding cautiously though; I still hear unsettling sounds coming from those depths.

8th Slate:
   One of the fool lads decided to host a party in the statue garden; what these dwarves have to celebrate I have no idea, some trumped up event I'm sure. I'm having no part in this farce though.

18th Slate:
   The miners have grown bored again so I suggested they dig out some stockpiles a couple floors down amongst a huge layer of obsidian; they seem to like the stuff, it does make fine trinkets though. I must keep them busy lest they decided to drink all the beer.

2nd Felsite:
   By the gods, this place must be cursed. 21 haggard dwarves stumbled upon our fort last night; the remnants of another doomed expedition so it seems. It appears that everyone travelling through this wasteland somehow stumbles, lost, upon this place; I doubt I'll ever make it out of here alive. Cursed, I tell you...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 04:08:40 pm »

Neat! I like the pool. You should desalinize it though. And grate it. You don't want carp jumping at you.
Also, is it my turn to get a dorfed? 
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: [1] 2