Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: Neo Dreams: Chronicles of Avarsiin. Pseudo Devlog.  (Read 58410 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pen & Paper RPG. Reactions?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 11:50:12 am »

Wait, so you've got everything planned out, you just need to compile it into one big resource?

Try to imagine explaining the game to someone from scratch.
1-If neccesary, put a chapter or two at the beginning explaining the nature of P&P RPGs. That done, go over how to create a character and understand their character sheet. Go into as much detail as you can - even explain things that you think would be obvious.
2-Explain how the system works - If someone uses ther climb skill to climb a wall, then explain how you use this skill, how you add bonues and penalties, and their consequences. In this section, also go through how equipment works, how to calculate damage, and the basic mechanics of the game. Make sure to include how the currency works.
3-I would go through the different classes that the player can be. Detail what sort of gameplay the players would do, detail how their skills are used, and detail their strengths and weaknesses. If there are any skills available to all classes, list them here, list what they do, that sort of thing. Don't be afriad to add a new chapter for this.
4-Go through the magic system(s). If there are several magic systems, then have a seperate chapter for each.
5-Explain how the battle system works. Although you might have given a brief explanation in chapter two, go through it all again. Once you cover the basic stuff, give information on advanced techniques (like grappling) and how spellcasting works.
6-You mentioned that there are several ways to evolve your character mid-game. Go through them here. If you system has an equivalent of multi-classing, go through it here. Do all the advanced character development stuff. You mentioned training animals - explain this here.
7-Give a bit of information about the outside world. List how the economy works, what the gods are like, how to interact with them, that sort of thing. Split into multiple chapters if neccesary.
8-Crafting/enchanting. Explain how the system works, but don't list the giant tables of values.
9-Go through any examples you have. Example characters, example battles, example everything.
10-Any notes for GMs.
Don't be afriad to use appendices. You said you had hundreds of monsters, hundreds of equipment types. Use appendices for them - this way people don't have to trawl through pages of the stuff. I would suggest appendixes each for:
-Spells (one appendix for each magic system)
-Monsters
-Animals
-Armour
-Weapons
-Miscellaneous equipment
-Crafting
-Enchanting
-Materials

Of course, that's just advice from someone with no experience of writing a rulebook for an RPG. Feel free to disregard all this, if you want.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 12:07:23 pm »

I appreciate all the input. I've got character creation and character sheet done, as well as all my classes. I'm currently working on equipment. I'm just overwhelmed because I'm a raging perfectionist and I want everything to be perfect. That whole rough draft thing? Yeah, I can't do that. I just get frustrated and re-edit and re-edit until that section is perfect. Then the whole thing is off by just a little bit and I scrap he whole thing and start over. I'm on version five. People have been playing my last ruleset for about four years now waiting for me to get this one done and actually get it to print.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »

Well, keep us updated. I for one am intrigued.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 12:11:55 pm »

Anything in particular you're looking for?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »

Well, I for one would like to get into the pen and paper RPG scene, but the existing RPGs seem to be very expensive (where you have to buy a dozen books to be an average player, and those books aren't cheap). You promise a PDF going cheap that will be all I need - it seems a bargain!

Of course, distributing it as a PDF would have its problems - no doubt there will be many people who put up illegal copies on file sharing sites.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 01:24:46 pm »

Yeah, I know. I've thought about that possibility, and before I distribute the PDF, I plan on becoming a member of places like Scribd and various filesharing sites. A lot of pirates seem to get their kicks out of screwing over "The man", and when you politely point out that you're only screwing over one dude with a wife and kid to take care of, they generally respond in your favor. Besides, if people are seeking it out, that means that they've heard of it, and if they've heard of it, I can't be doing too poorly.

tl;dr version: Piracy is a risk I'm willing to take.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »

Also, yes, everything is totally planned and mostly written down...in various notebooks and spread across various files. I just need to get all of it in one spot, and then let my friends take their red markers to it (I have several friends who are majoring in English,) and then rewrite according to them, illustrate (doing it myself, and I assure you that I'm much better with the pencil than code,) send it to the formatter I have lined up, have her format it so that it looks nice, rewrite according to her, and then publish. Possibly with another rewrite if I don't self publish.

I just have a long road ahead and I'm one of those people who has trouble not dragging their feet.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 02:24:29 pm »

I have that problem, so what I do is set yourself deadlines. Don't have these deadlines be enforced by yourself, but go up to one of the people who will check it and say that you'll have X done by Y. I find it helps.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 04:28:43 pm »

Hm...I never thought about doing that. Maybe I'll try to get ahold of one of those friends later. Anyway, do you think people would be interested in test-reading a few things for me, just to get a general feel?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:13 pm »

Well, I'm gonna do some samples for you all now, because I'm starting to get excited about the thought of people other than people I actually know face to face reading my crap. So, here goes!

Some stuff you may like:

Dorfs!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elves!

Goblins!

Alchemy!

Swords!

God o' Death

10 Imp subtypes!

I know it's a lot of stuff, but hopefully someone is interested and gives me some feedback. I know that without all the numbers and systems to look at the numbers don't really mean much, but hey, it's a start, right?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:27 am »

It all looks wonderful - you've clearly put a lot of effort into this.

I am a bit of a grammar nazi, though, and you might want to change:
This usually results in screams of mercy for the Overlander as the Dwarf attempts to tie their limbs into a knot.
Into:
This usually results in screams of mercy from the Overlander as the Dwarf attempts to tie their limbs into a knot.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:01 am »

So,how much of it is already made?Looks like a huge goal to me.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:58 am »

@ed boy: Changed, and duly noted. That's why I want a bunch of my friends to go over this monster with their red pens. Whenever possible, MaximumZero prefers to consume Dwarven Rum, and then do his writing. Perhaps I'll get a PDF online sometime to a select few Bay12ers. You all seem like a good Alpha/Beta test group, not that I want to take anyone away from DF or Toady. I appreciate the further words of praise.

@tomas: I'm halfway through page 50 contiguously, and if all estimates were done properly, it should round out to about 400 pages or so. Please note that I also have several pages finished in random spots around the book where a fey mood had taken me. When I started, I put together a skeleton/framework of about 115 pages that I am filling in as I go, and will reformat when it all looks good. I have an Alpha (if you can call it that, as it's the 4th version I've done,) distributed to my friends that they've been playing for a good solid couple years now. However, v5 is going to be an entire rewrite, even though the core rules and setting of the game will be the same.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:13:33 am by MaximumZero »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 04:06:18 am »

Well, I for one would like to get into the pen and paper RPG scene, but the existing RPGs seem to be very expensive (where you have to buy a dozen books to be an average player, and those books aren't cheap). You promise a PDF going cheap that will be all I need - it seems a bargain!

Of course, distributing it as a PDF would have its problems - no doubt there will be many people who put up illegal copies on file sharing sites.

This isn't true at all. Most RP systems are contained within one book. Very few have information spread across multiple books. The one that do, arent require in order to play, they may be required in order to run it. DnD is a classic example. Yea, there 3 core books, that can set ya back 120ish, but players only need on, the PHB. The other systems which do have multuple books, are optional.

For DnD, you're looking at 23 for the PHB, and 14 bucks for a nice dice set. For 37 dollars.

Which after 10 sesions you'll be heading towards the 1 dollar per hour of fun ratio.   

It can be expensive. But you can game on the cheap. Even here, those dice can last you years. I have dice I've used close to 15 years.  And RPG books never go out of style. If you dont like the new edition of your favored RP series, stick to an older edition. There still peeps that play DnD 1ed, to my horror.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 04:19:14 am »

DnD requires just the handbook. It also needs you to match any handbook additions and extra sourcebooks that the other players have. Meaning that unless you're playing the very first version of a given edition, you're going to purchase about five to ten different books, to keep informed of all the mechanics introduced to the game.

As far as I understood, MaximumZero is aiming to create a well and truly final version of his game, included in just one book, which is why he seeks input and tries to gather as much feedback as possible.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30