Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30

Author Topic: Neo Dreams: Chronicles of Avarsiin. Pseudo Devlog.  (Read 58730 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Pen & Paper RPG. Pseudo Devlog.
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »

Way to go, dude!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 10, 2014, 06:21:24 pm »

Rather than starting with a number of things you want to have in each category, try paring it down until you can't have any fewer. For example, you could have armor in the Light, Medium, and Heavy categories. If you want Mail to behave differently from Scale somehow, start by calling it Medium armor and then add some modifier because it's Scale. That way a gaming group could get away with saying "we're gonna do a simple game this time, no armor type modifications."

With weapons, you could probably pare it down to 15 types and still capture a lot of variety. Is a quarterstaff so very different from a bo staff? Perhaps you could list weapons based on what they do, so you have "Cleaving" weapons, and then a pick does +1 vs. stone and an axe does +1 vs. wood.

As for material types, I really do suggest giving each material a modifier to apply to the weapon. Perhaps one material is hard to damage but brittle, so that when you damage it it usually breaks. Each one can have a modifier for weapons and one for armor. Again, the group can easily create new materials and apply the template to all the existing equipment. Or add new equipment and apply the old templates to it.

You could have a second set of templates for condition. "New", "Shoddy", "Rusty", "Broken", etc. This lets someone buy a really nice leather handbag for more money and it has a mechanical effect in the game. Or they can ignore the condition templates to make the game simpler.

As for spells - do you have two spells that do the same sort of thing? Cut one. Your canon list of spells is the starting point for people making their own, trying to balance against what's in the system already. You want to describe as many different examples as possible. If you have a both Fireball and a Big Fireball, you're missing out on an opportunity for Buoyancy or Stone Eater.

Do you have two monsters that use the same schtick? Cut one. If you have a Giant who can do knockback with his club, or snatch-and-hurl, or throwing boulders, that's very cool mechanically and it should be a different monster from the Orc. If you have both an Orc and a Big Orc you're missing the opportunity to put in a Moon Girl or a Root Dog.

People who pick up your game and look it over are going to say, "Does this game do something mechanically that's awesome and makes me want to play using these rules?" and "Does this game contain a huge amount of awesome fat stuff that inspires and excites?"
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »

Rather than starting with a number of things you want to have in each category, try paring it down until you can't have any fewer. For example, you could have armor in the Light, Medium, and Heavy categories. If you want Mail to behave differently from Scale somehow, start by calling it Medium armor and then add some modifier because it's Scale. That way a gaming group could get away with saying "we're gonna do a simple game this time, no armor type modifications." With weapons, you could probably pare it down to 15 types and still capture a lot of variety. Is a quarterstaff so very different from a bo staff? Perhaps you could list weapons based on what they do, so you have "Cleaving" weapons, and then a pick does +1 vs. stone and an axe does +1 vs. wood.

Taken to the logical conclusion, you could get away with "generic melee weapon", "generic ranged weapon", and "armor". No names, no types, just numbers. I actually tried this for a while and...well...people hated it. Players love variety, and I've provided it by making each weapon/armor/etc. different in how they interact. The falchion is a one-handed sword that ignores nonmetal armor, because it's a cross between a sword and a hatchet. The greatsword is two handed, deals much more damage, but causes you to take a Velocity (Initiative, for D&D players,) penalty. The estoc is a sword meant specifically to ignore plate armor, but it's not as useful against chain or banded mail, or what have you. There are a ton of spears, but they all do different things. Example: You can use the low powered Guisarme to trip your opponent and leave them defenseless for a round, or use a halberd to devastating effect against mounted enemies. There are a couple dozen accessories in the "armor" category, like rings, bracelets, pauldrons and sabatons, but they're mostly stackable enchantment fodder. Finally, I stuck with wanting 100 weapon and armor types for a really simple reason. It makes random item lists really easy.

As for material types, I really do suggest giving each material a modifier to apply to the weapon. Perhaps one material is hard to damage but brittle, so that when you damage it it usually breaks. Each one can have a modifier for weapons and one for armor. Again, the group can easily create new materials and apply the template to all the existing equipment. Or add new equipment and apply the old templates to it.

This is already going in. Spot on.

You could have a second set of templates for condition. "New", "Shoddy", "Rusty", "Broken", etc. This lets someone buy a really nice leather handbag for more money and it has a mechanical effect in the game. Or they can ignore the condition templates to make the game simpler.

This is already sort of in, but equipment wear isn't. If someone fails a crafting check by a small margin, they can produce "flawed", "shoddy" or "crude" items. They take a penalty to the power of the item (damage for weapons, defense for armor,) but it beats losing the materials to scrap. Flawed items can usually be found in shops, shoddy and crude generally are not. That said, if someone overshoots a crafting check, they can produce higher quality gear, up to a certain point.

As for spells - do you have two spells that do the same sort of thing? Cut one. Your canon list of spells is the starting point for people making their own, trying to balance against what's in the system already. You want to describe as many different examples as possible. If you have a both Fireball and a Big Fireball, you're missing out on an opportunity for Buoyancy or Stone Eater.

Magic is kind of a finicky thing in my game. You see, everyone starts with an Elemental Weakness and Affinity. So, if your Affinity is Fire, your weakness would be water. This is kind of a double edged sword in some cases. You can do huge damage with Fire magic, but there are only two healing spells in the whole set, one of which is the Master Spell. (Spells are broken into tiers, Basic, Intermediate, Advanced, and Master.) You could still use Water magic to get the healing spells within, but you're only going to heal half of what you normally would because of your Elemental Weakness. Instead, that player could focus on Life Magic, which does a whole lot of other things (trade Mist Form for Angel Wings, for one,) or go to the (generally) more powerful Ritual Magic, which has a subset of Miracles, but they require reagents to work. There's a lot of choices, with little overlap.

Do you have two monsters that use the same schtick? Cut one. If you have a Giant who can do knockback with his club, or snatch-and-hurl, or throwing boulders, that's very cool mechanically and it should be a different monster from the Orc. If you have both an Orc and a Big Orc you're missing the opportunity to put in a Moon Girl or a Root Dog.

Monsters are pretty well varied. There's a little bit of overlap, but each monster has different drops, to use an MMO term. Whitecaps are weaker than Redcaps (which are vampiric), but can be turned into valuable materials for healing items, which the poisonous Redcap cannot. I'll probably have to go back over my Enemy Combatants (people to fight) list and eliminate a little bit of overlap, but that's going to be a little harder. There are, after all, only so many jobs a person can do.

People who pick up your game and look it over are going to say, "Does this game do something mechanically that's awesome and makes me want to play using these rules?" and "Does this game contain a huge amount of awesome fat stuff that inspires and excites?"
Yes, they are, and I'm doing my best to ensure that the answer to both of those questions is, "Yes."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2014, 01:10:39 am »

Update: the next step is assigning values to the items, how much material they take to make, how long they take to make, how difficult they are to make, and how much they cost. Swords are finished. The rest of the weapons and armor will probably be finished tomorrow, and then I'll work on miscellaneous items, like tents, backpacks, healing items and whatnot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2014, 12:02:08 pm »

Wow, you are making hella progress! Keep that burn going, buddy.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2014, 05:29:50 pm »

Wow, you are making hella progress! Keep that burn going, buddy.
Thanks, man. I restructured the way I'm keeping notes, to prevent losing things, and it's been a real revelation. I only hope I can keep up the pace.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:24 am »

Update: Every weapon and piece of armor now has: A "power rating" (attack or defense), difficulty to make, number of materials used to make, number of checks to make, a price, the weapons have number of hands used in wielding, and bonuses are mostly done, although I have to figure out a way to differentiate cloaks from capes, unless I want to swap in different pieces of armor (which I may.) Either way, 200 entries done. On to "other" items!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2014, 02:13:29 am »

Perhaps weather protection? I would expect a cloak, with its hood and (maybe?) heavier material, to be a bit better against wind and rain, although I don't know what the drawback would be to balance it out.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2014, 02:14:17 am »

I was thinking maybe stealth, because of the hood. Possibly intimidation, due to Batman. Not sure.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:01 am »

the weapons have number of hands used in wielding
Have you considered the size differences between (possible) races ?
Maluses for an Orc wielding a dagger made for a gnome/dwarf/other little race ?
Maluses for a gnome wielding a 2h club from an Orc (because it's magical and he wants the special effects) ?
On the same theme, how possible is it for a bulky warrior to wear the armor made for a smaller race ?

About weapon sizes, how do their damage scale ? (a dice ladder, maybe ?)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2014, 10:30:18 am »

This game is looking pretty intense so far, looking forward to playing it someday. :)

...All this talk of bladed weaponry has also rekindled my desire to learn to hit things with swords.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2014, 02:20:19 pm »

This game is looking pretty intense so far, looking forward to playing it someday. :)
Thanks!

the weapons have number of hands used in wielding
Have you considered the size differences between (possible) races ?
Maluses for an Orc wielding a dagger made for a gnome/dwarf/other little race ?
Maluses for a gnome wielding a 2h club from an Orc (because it's magical and he wants the special effects) ?
On the same theme, how possible is it for a bulky warrior to wear the armor made for a smaller race ?

About weapon sizes, how do their damage scale ? (a dice ladder, maybe ?)
Weapons scale linearly. No extra dice, unless they have a bonus, just a bigger base power. Different sized armor is specifically for the character size it's meant for. Humans cannot wear small (Dwarf, Halfling, etc.) armor, because it's too small, just as Dwarves can't wear Fae armor, because it's meant for someone 6" tall. Humans can wear most armor, as in the random loot table, there is a 20% chance of armor being small, and a 10% chance of it being large (for large beastmen [like minotaurs], treefolk, ogres and trolls.) Tiny armor has to be custom made (with the Jewelry proficiency), and most Fae don't bother. Faeries in general do not use weapons or armor, as their magic is extremely powerful, and given the right spells, they can summon full sized weapons and shields to protect them. Small folk, like Halflings and Gnomes, usually just stick to one handed weapons, like the Katzbalger, or daggers and such. Dwarves, on the other hand, have the strength to wield two-handed weapons without a penalty. Large folk can have weapons custom made for them (or make it themselves), or can wield normal two-handed weapons in one hand.

I'm thinking about removing some of the mundane weapons that are actually not weapons, like chains, scepters, and riding crops, and putting in some larger variants of other things, like great maces, or a mega-greatsword [like a western variant of the Odachi?] or something.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2014, 01:02:33 am »

Posting to watch and provide my smithing experience if desired.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:46 am »

Update: I'm slowly working on touching up the metals and other materials list. Stuff like this always freaks me out a little bit, because it's so essential to so many aspects of the game. Then again, when I finish the materials and write down the rules to building, you'll be able to build buildings with specialized rooms and such (like forges, workshops, altars, gambling dens, trap hallways, etc.) from scratch or from templates, as well as hack through doors and walls. The biggest thing is equipment making, though. You'll be able to buy in bulk, that way you can have 1000 mercenaries all making their own weapons and armor, with your crafting and leadership determining the average quality.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:38 pm »

Update again: I've narrowed my list down to 100 materials even. The lists aren't even, as I'd like them to be, but...some materials are more interesting than others. Metal is going to see way more use than cloth or wood, so it gets more options.
Spoiler: 19 Stone types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 14 Wood types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 12 Cloth types (click to show/hide)

100 even, even if the categories aren't. Any feedback would be appreciated, of course.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 30