Poll

What would you like to see next?

More creatures
More plants
More interactions
More reactions
Anything, it's all cool

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: =To Terra= [FF9] Ironhand Graphics version released! +compatibility  (Read 24429 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: =To Terra= [FF9] Grow plants anywhere and stuff
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »

In a fit of derp, I realized that during the entire life of this mod, Burmecians, Cleyrans, and moogles have been running around without skin.  Uh, yeah.  That's been fixed.  I've also created a new body detail plan so that genomes have fur on their tails.

Magic system is still in a state of testing.  Due to several changes to some default materials like milk, the mod is currently in a non-compatible state, but I'm working on that.  The next real big step I'm planning is a merge with Ironhand graphics (I'm bored right now and drawing some genome sprites), which for the record is why some fish and bug and other tiles are wonky,s ince I started the mod out in Ironhand, moved it to non-graphics, and have been slowly squishing each wrong tile.  Of course, I'll have to rechange all those tiles back as I move them into Ironhand.  Lawl.  Since it'll be my first go at merging a graphics pack, I doubt I'll be doing multiple graphic versions, but I'll probably release the sprites in case adventurous people want to use different graphic packs.

Time to draw some genomes, woot.

Edit: lol genomes!

Man I am bad at pixel art.

Now with Neil Armstrong Stay-Puft Man a beekeeper!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:16:21 pm by Clover Magic »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2012, 10:52:29 pm »

Preview of the genomes in-game!  You can see a stoneworker, fisherman, jeweler, and miner.  (Bonus - most retarded embark position ever.  Really, guys?  The crater of the volcano?)

I'm about 2/3rds done, just working through the noble and military sprites now.  I haven't implemented them yet, but creature sprites are also being created.

When I get tired of doing pixels, I'll implement Thunder spells, Aero spells, and get started on specific monster skills and Blue Magic aka Qu skills.  A new release with graphics and such should be out by the weekend.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2012, 12:59:13 pm »

So an error in the Extract Ore reaction has led to 450 ores sitting in my magma pump.  You'd think I'd remember by now that LIQUID_MISC items need a 150 quantity by now, but apparently not.

On the plus side, this has given me plenty of ore to make some diamonds for holysteel and topazes for firesteel as we're on an evil tundra and I fully expect mistodons and mimics to come wreck my shit sometime.  On the negative side, this was not as intended lawl.

I got slightly sidetracked from sprites by adding more entries from the bestiary.  I had originally lef tout a lot of humanoid monsters, as well as ones that shared names with existing DF creatures, but now I'm adding those in.  Some monsters will always be left out - the Axoltol or whatever monster, for example, is already nicely represented by the Giant version in the game.  Now however, I am making FF9's goblins, trolls, ogres, etc.  They'll have a different name for compatibility, but I'll be deleting the vanilla monsters for the conversion.

I plan to release three new versions this weekend - the base total conversion, a graphics version of the same using Ironhand, and a version which only includes the creatures, materials, and what reactions and interactions can be added without messing with default stuff as a compatibility version to be added to other mods and such.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »

Sweet.

Mind if I package the compatibility version in Final Fantasy Mod as a module? I'll give credit and store it as an optional version.

I'll also see if it meshes well with my mod.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2012, 02:04:05 pm »

Sure, go ahead. :)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2012, 03:19:31 pm »

Ok, I'll do it when I fix the Bio and Gravity potions , and add leveling up.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:34 pm »

No prob.

Speaking of Bio and resultant poisoning, mimics wandered onto my map.  I acquired a holysteel swallow sword from a caravan, so I thought I'd see how the okay swordsman would do.

...Badly.  No one's dead, but man, Poison interrupts fights like nothing, and now there's vomit everywhere.  The two militia over-exerted themsevles and fell over and then the mimic started pushing them in the head, which I knew would lead to a stupid death, so I drafted half the civilians and dogpiled it.  Now there's a bunch of retching civilians, but we did manage to kill it and got a nice *mimic wood chest* out of it.  Yay!  I think I shall build it in the hospital.

Edit: Well hay, it looks like my magic study reaction is working!   :o

I am kind of reluctant to test it, though...as a black mage means that he learned Fire.  I might have him face the captured mimic from across a channel and see.

Son of the edit:

Great success!!

That is a mimic on fire, courtesy of my new black mage genome.  Magic study successfully passes on magic spells!  Knowing this I can greatly expand it.  After this next release, that will be the new over-arcing goal, to create a detailed and accessible magic research system.  That will be fun!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:12:41 pm by Clover Magic »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

So wait, is that a caste of the genome?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2012, 01:39:25 pm »

No.  What it is is an interaction, rather like becoming a necromancer.

What happens is that during the Study Magic/Read Book reaction at the Library, there is a tiny chance of the reaction producing a boulder made of a "magic" material.  Since the material template is set to boil at a low temperature, it produces a cloud of "magic" instead of an actual rock.  In the inorganic files I use the magic material template to define some inorganic materials that give syndromes.  These syndromes are set to be inhaled, and will attach a name to the genome (right now black mage or white mage depending on the spell they learn) and give them access to a magic interaction.  So, in theory, a genome who studies magic will get caught in the burst, inhale the magic gas and contract the syndrome, which gives him access to a spell.  Right now it's just a generic "Study Magic" and you can either get Cure and/or Fire from it.  I intend to split it up into further magic research, with a more detailed research system, all spells learnable, etc.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:35 pm »

New versions released!

Base version
Ironhand graphics version
Compability version

Here are the completed genome sprites for the graphics version:

Here they are in-game, with bonus chocobo (that I need to redo the background on):

To add the sprites to another graphics pack, just copy the genomes.png and graphics_genomes.png to the relevant raw/graphics folder of choice.  Be warned - they do use Ironhand's 18x18 resolution, however, so you'll probably have to edit the sprites and shrink them if you really want to do that.

Magic study is in this version!  Create a book from paper and leather, and use it to study at the Library.  Your genomes can currently only learn Cure or Fire - this will be expanded in the next version.

The compatibility version has the following removals:
-Baking (bread/chocolate/ice cream) has been removed, as well as the relevant buildings
-Greenhouse and water pump have been removed
-Removal of the relevant reactions from entities

Everything else is pretty stand-alone and does not require any changes to vanilla files, so they should play nicely with everything barring conflicting creature names or something.

Please inform me of any problems. :)  Provided nothing game-breaking is wrong with these version, work on magic study will continue as planned.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: =To Terra= [FF9] Ironhand Graphics version released! +compatibility
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 02:43:12 pm »

So I kind of got eaten by LotRO and the new expansion pack, haha.  MMO binges are fun.

Anyways I am going to load a fort to check that all current changes are working correctly, then binge on graphics sprites for a while.  I plan to at least make all domestic creature sprites before releasing a new Ironhand version.

Of course, if Toady ends up releasing before I'm done with the next release, expect a small delay as I transfer the mod to the newer version, heh heh.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: =To Terra= [FF9] Ironhand Graphics version released! +compatibility
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »

Toady updating twice in a year?! Madness!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]