Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Fossils

(1/4) > >>

Makuus:
Yes i know that its in the bloat list and there have been previous threads about it but i feel that my ideas are pretty new.Add a new profession, paleontologist I suppose would be best but it could be something thats less imposing so as not to scare people with the big words. They would ahve a new workshop called something like digging station etc. Could have other functions like maybe even stacking stones. There you could put in a job order to look for fossils. The dwarf would then go around looking at stones and seeing if small fossils like amonites are found in them. If the AI lets it a feature where the more experienced the dwarf, the more likely it is to look at a suitable fossil bearing stone ie not metamorphic but sedimentary. Larger fossils could also be found an would have to be mined out. They would only produce anything if the miner is of legendary status otherwise Grand Master and below miners would leave nothing. If its a one tile fossil-a small set of remains like an arcaeopterix(stupid crazy spelling) then you could either make it into a building or sell it to traders. However a large dinosaur would be constructed as a multi-tile building and you could possibly sell the individual components eg t rex skull. Maybe low fossil-ing skill would cause the fossils to be misinterpretted and have maybe a head in the wrong place lowering the value of the building. I think thats it except for that strange mood would create a type of craft such as trilobite necklace or amber bracelet etc.Well i hope that makes a small amount of sense. I now let my creation loose for the ravenous wolves to pick it clean and leave me feeling stupid.

Grek:
Or we could have miners dig them up.

Lyrax:
I suggest a new noble, called the archaeologist.  He's dressed in leather, with a fedora, and is the only dwarf to carry a whip, which should be masterwork quality.  I'm sure you can see where this is going, but all the same... he should be a guy who runs around picking random rocks and turning them into fossils (ostensibly by chipping away at the rock) and they are trade items of varying quality.  They can also be placed like statues to add value to a room.  A room created from fossils would be a museum.How's that?

lastofthelight:
I approve of the Archaeologist noble. In addition, I think that there should be (when magic is completed) a randomn chance of a Wizard noble spawning whenever a fortress releases Spirits of Fire, whose purpose will be to fall into the Demon Pits, taking them all with him, as the message "You Cannot Pass!" appears on the screen.

PTTG??:
I have to agree with grek here. In fact, there is a fossils mod that adds little sprinkles of fossilized bones and such in the sedimentary family of rocks. I forget where to find it, sorry. Prolly somewhere in the mod forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version