Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seed questions in world gen  (Read 1421 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Seed questions in world gen
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

Why does the seed sometimes change to a number after i hit enter? I enter my seed then hit enter and it will turn into a 37 or somesuch.  Also anyone have any more info on what these numbers mean or do?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Seed questions in world gen
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

What seed did you try, I don't know but if you tried something REALLY hight, like 999999999999999999999999999999999999, there might have been a overflow, but Toady uses huge seeds so I don't think this is an issue.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

SO one knows anything ?? Anyone ever experience what i described?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:55:00 pm »

"Change" into numbers? As in, they weren't numbers to begin with?

I think that may be your problem...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

The seed selects what 'random' numbers to use when creating a new game world. I don't know why your numbers would change, though. The idea behind the seed number is that if two computers use the same seed number, then they will both get the same world at the end.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fenrir

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 03:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>The idea behind the seed number is that if two computers use the same seed number, then they will both get the same world at the end.</STRONG>

Unless you changed the raws, that, in my experience, leads to a different map. Modding the raws shouldn't make the numbers themselves change, however.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

Well i put in a certain seed then when i hit enter the seed number changes from what i entered in to another number. I will get an example to post for you.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 03:36:00 pm »

Just one example seed 5566778899

when you enter it and hit enter it changes to  seed 4294967295

just one example happens alot to me actually and not with double numbers either.

Try it. Im sure you will get the same.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

So.....Thoughts?

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:23:00 pm »

I've experienced this, don't know what or why it happens, the best way to get around it is to not use that seed, or 'big seeds'.

Sorry that it isn't alot of help.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

It's a technical programming limitation.

4294967295 is the highest number representable in a 32-bit variable.

The random number generator uses a 32-bit variable as its seed.

So you can't go beyond it.  That's all.

mov [0x517A5D], 0xFFFFFFFF