Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

A story of ambushes, medicare, and a dented foot.

(1/1)

gopa4:
First a bit of back story explaining my mistakes.
My story begins 6 years ago when seven intrepid dwarves strike the earth. Penetrating the side of a mountain carving out two main storage rooms and a main hallway. About half way through this, I notice that directly above is a sort of alcove, a semi-large space with a singe tile entrance, I quickly wall up the single tile and carve out the ramps. Eventually a year goes by and I decide to roof it over to protect my dwarves. Eventually I decide to expand this into a sort of living area, with chairs, beds, ect. Part of this expansion involved tearing a hole in the natural wall and walling around it add about 30% more area, heres one of my big mistakes, I forget to lay a floor over this area protecting it from above. Another year goes by and I wall off the area infront of my fort creating a nice courtyard with a pond, leading to my main farming operation. I build an airlock for the trade depot involving draw bridges and the sort. Once that’s finished my masons begin constructing floors over this to protect my dwarves (sum 1200 floor tiles, a very long time hence my next sort of mistake.)

Nearing the end of year 2 a caravan approaches, I signal the inner draw bridge sealed shut and everyone inside. The elves approach the depot when suddenly an ambush springs from thin air and slaughters the elves (who happen to carry 4 dwarftons worth of crap?) My dwarves begin to perform jobs inside the fortress when suddenly I notice an arrow flies into one of my farmers  :o  ??? then suddenly the air fills with arrows and perforates about 16-20 dwarves, 8 of which immediately bleed out. I order everyone inside once again and wait for the goblins to run out of arrows, 2 more dwarves bleed out in this time. The goblins then proceed to enter my trade area through a hatch and then get slaughtered by a chained up hippo (who later dies to infection, sadly.) My medical dwarves rush outside once the all clear is given, and grab the wounded, a couple of farmers, masons, and a metal smith. They eventually heal (mostly, one of the farmers who was an axe dwarf in training takes much longer, he's still not better, complaining of a dented foot. After surgery and sutures, how can ones foot be dented? Especially after 3 years? He’s not living a life of luxury be waited on hand and foot, and I guess he’s married and his wife has had three kids, the guy is a lucky SOB. His wife had also sustained injuries, of a much more grievous nature and yet she’s now just fine even though she has 2 splints and countless sutures.)  *By the way I love the medical system, it has saved me like 12 dwarves* Life returns to semi normal and the flouring over of my main courtyard receives my main priority, another caravan approaches and the same drill begins, inner draw bridge closed dwarves inside, this time it’s a dwarves caravan and thus it has a diplomat, who I allow in. The diplomat meets with my mayor in the expanded section of my living area, the one I forgot to roof over, about half way through their discussion I notice a hail of arrows slamming into them and about 4 other dwarves, the diplomat proceeds to leave unhappily.
*edit* I forgot to add,that the mayor was friends with everyone, ensuing tantrum spiral, my levers controlling the draw bridges are destroyed, another ambush, this one swords, axes, and more bows wipes the floor with everyone killing, maiming, and slaughtering. There's so much blood...

Tl;dr
Don’t forget to roof your courtyards and your expanded living areas.  And goblin arrows are very deadly.

Unshaven:
I wish I had a chained up hippo

ProZocK:
Something similar (although less epic) occurred to me.
I forgot to put the ceiling on my airlocked trade depot as well, and while the outer door was closed and I had just opened the inner door to haul the goods...
2 Nightwings( I think that's the name, not sure) came inside.
Oh, just 2 critters, not so dangerous right?
Say that to my 18 dwarfs, none of them having military training...

gopa4:
Are nightwings an underground creature? I haven't done much underground exploration, only to nuke my own fort a couple of times.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version