Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 61696 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And I don't mean because it's 20 years in the future and we all have quantum computers. 

Is it feasible that the DF coding will be optimized so that the game is playable with 100+ dwarves?  Or are FPS deaths an irrevocable side effect of how the game has been programmed? 

I have a 3.2 ghz dual core (and yes I'm aware that dual core doesn't mean much in this game) so it's not like my processor is horrible in the first place, but still, around 100 dwarves and my FPS drops to unplayable.  This last fort I managed 150 before deciding it was simply too slow to deal with.  Sucks too because I'd wager it was my best fort yet.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »

Chances are Toady will do something about it,but when i do not know.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

And I don't mean because it's 20 years in the future and we all have quantum computers. 

Is it feasible that the DF coding will be optimized so that the game is playable with 100+ dwarves?  Or are FPS deaths an irrevocable side effect of how the game has been programmed? 

I have a 3.2 ghz dual core (and yes I'm aware that dual core doesn't mean much in this game) so it's not like my processor is horrible in the first place, but still, around 100 dwarves and my FPS drops to unplayable.  This last fort I managed 150 before deciding it was simply too slow to deal with.  Sucks too because I'd wager it was my best fort yet.

150 FPS is TOO SLOW TO PLAY?! TRY TO PLAY AT 25-30 FPS AT EMBARK! (Stop complaining.)
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »

150 FPS is TOO SLOW TO PLAY?! TRY TO PLAY AT 25-30 FPS AT EMBARK! (Stop complaining.)

try reading next time
I think he meant 150 DWARVES.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:40:47 pm »

Yes, 150 dwarves. 

10-20 FPS is when it's too slow to play.  Everything moves frustratingly slowly.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:45:44 pm »

Will having a really powerful computer help?

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »

I'd imagine so, but I don't have that kind of coin.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »

Pfft. Towards the end of my 40d megafort I was getting about 1-3 FPS.

In any case, as the game continues to slow down from new features, the likelyhood that Toady does work on FPS optimization for any particular release increases.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:51:11 pm »

DF NEEDS MULTI-THREADING!

I believe there's ALOT of space for optimization, since most of slowdown comes from item count, not dorfs. I've had 100+ dorf forts with short lifespan, and since i didn't build much yet and didn't dig 100000+ stone, FPS was very good, above 50 most of the time.
Same goes for embark sizes. Why does it even matter for game speed? Obviously there's a problem in a way game interacts with open tiles.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

Currently, I'm playing a fort with popcap at 60, (yes that means 75'ish dwarves), and my FPS was at some point steady around 55.

My fort has a very very large and deep hole as part of its defense, as in: a hole from the bottom down trough the caves (possibly beyond... but not yet). This pit has a massed a huge amount of spare stone that I've been content to ignore for a while. But recently I began project cleanup. That means quantum dumping and destroying rocks under drawbridges, and as I'm doing this, my FPS is steadily increasing!

So, if you want decent fps, don't dig any more than you have to, and clean up afterwards.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:32:38 am »

Well, I take great lengths to dump all the stone in my fort.  Takes a while but I'm pretty anal about it.  Got to the point where I literally ran out of stone in my fort (got error messages from my masons).   I atom smash it regularly too, so it's not like it's just sitting at the bottom of a lake or anything; to my knowledge it's actually destroyed (or as destroyed as you can get in DF).   So I'm not sure that items are that big of a concern.  I think it's the pathing that does it.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:16 am »

Why does it even matter for game speed? Obviously there's a problem in a way game interacts with open tiles.
Pathfinding.

Quite simply, I know people looked into understanding how DF manages Dwarf AI and pathfinding -which remains the single biggest FPS killer. The more dwarves, creatures, paths, and items for them to interact with = worse fps.

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 01:52:24 am »

Probably version 99 or something...

Every bloody fun thing in this game has an fps cost.

want to have the required amount of dwarves to activate nobles and sieges?
-10%FPS
siege coming in?
-10%FPS
Want a waterfall in the livingroom?
-10%FPS
Want a complex magma-wated defense system?
-10%FPS
Want magma actually to burn stuff? activate temp and...
-10%FPS
Hey switch to the new and better version with 150 zlevels depth. It does have a separate 'UI' thread, so it should be faster!
-10%FPS
Wanna check out the new super-duper caverns?
-10%FPS

Lets just remember how lucky we are that the FPS cant go negative with this setup...

Sorry for the troll, this is what drives me mad about the game. I can live with the UI disaster alright, but a fort with consistent 7 fps is plain unplayable.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 03:08:10 am »

... since most of slowdown comes from item count, not dorfs ...

Indeed.

I once made "hax" reaction to create 250 coke out of thin air. And made mistake setting it on repeat for few seconds.

Fortress went from triple digit fps to single digit fps pretty much instantly.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 03:53:23 am »

Lets just remember how lucky we are that the FPS cant go negative with this setup...

Dwarven time-travel. Do it now.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21