Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak work with 31.18?  (Read 3490 times)

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak work with 31.18?
« on: November 24, 2010, 08:27:26 pm »

Just wondering if it's possible to get Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak to work with DF 31.18. Has anyone tried this yet?

At first, I noticed how old the original thread is and I doubted it would work. The last update to the utility seems to be March 31, 2008:
Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak - new version 1.2.0.0 is

But this has instructions on how to update it:
Updating Tweak for a new version of Dwarf Fortress

I'm asking because I'm quite new and I'd hate to do all that for nothing - or worse: mess up some games saves. That, and Runesmith has some (but not all) of the same features. (Though, a 31.18 version of Runesmith is not yet available.)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Can Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress Tweak work with 31.18?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 08:34:35 pm »

No, I don't think anyone is updating the files you need anymore (the link sends you to geocities... heh).

So it won't work, no.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:38:47 pm »

No, I don't think anyone is updating the files you need anymore (the link sends you to geocities... heh).

So it won't work, no.
I'm confused by your reply.

First, neither link that I posted goes directly to geocities. One links to a thread on this forum and another goes to a wiki page. Both work fine.
Second, the wiki page I mentioned has step-by-step instructions on how to update the program to a newer version. And I see on the bottom of the wiki page it says "This page was last modified on 10 May 2010", so I know it should be current at least to early 2010.

I realize that the author (Rick, aka Gibbed) has not updated the utility in over two years. (Although, I see from his profile that his last visit was in early 2010.) I'm just asking if anyone tried the patch recommended on the wiki for a recent DF version. Since I can't convince Mohammad to visit the mountain, I'll bring the mountain to Mohammad... Here's the instruction part of the wiki page:
Updating Tweak for a new version of Dwarf Fortress

To update Gibbed's Utilities for a new version of DF:
  • Download, install and launch the Utilities, if not already done so.
  • Open versions.xml in Notepad.
  • Copy the last line in the <versions> section to a new line below it. The last two lines of the <versions> section should now be identical.
  • On the new line you just created, change the version number to match the version of DF you have installed. Delete the "hash" value.
  • In the "Versions" sub folder of the "tweak" folder, create a new folder with the exact same name as the version number you just typed into versions.xml.
  • Go to Dwarvis' Page and download the core.xml that matches your version of DF. Save it to the folder you just created, and rename it to "core.xml"
  • Open a new Notepad window
  • Bring up Gibbed's utilities, and under the File menu, click "Select Process". Click yes on the confirmation.
  • When asked if you want to look up the hash, click "No."
  • Under the Tools menu, click "Log"
  • Right-click in the Log window, and choose Copy All.
  • Paste the log in the blank Notepad window.
  • On the line that starts with "Verbose: Selected game with process ID" (Should be the second to last line) copy the hash value without the leading space or trailing period.
  • Paste the hash value into the blank spot on the last line of the <versions> section in versions.xml.
  • Save and close versions.xml
  • Close the Untitled Notepad window.
  • Close the Log window.
  • Close Gibbed's Utilities.
  • Relaunch Gibbed's Utilities.
  • Under the File menu, click "Select Process" and click yes on the confirmation.
  • All the circles next to the items in the list should turn red. You are now ready to go!
[/list]

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »

• Go to Dwarvis' Page and download the core.xml that matches your version of DF. Save it to the folder you just created, and rename it to "core.xml"

The link they give you goes to geocities.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:42 am »

Ah, I see...
Well, it probably doesn't help, but here are more recent locations for the dwarvis project, which also seems to have been abandoned:

http://www.ohloh.net/p/dwarvis
http://code.google.com/p/dwarvis/

Since the last time dwarvis (aka, lifevis) was update was 2008, I guess this can't be used to update (aka, "tweak") Gibbed's Dwarf Fortress. But then, it seems strange that the "Updating Tweak for a new version of Dwarf Fortress" page on the wiki was last updated in 2010 without at least mentioning this.

I do wonder, though, if someone knowledgeable in hacking DF could find an alternative substitute for "core.xml" that would work with 31.18. I do know that several mod authors/experts tell users to substitute certain files from the dfhack project (such as memory.xml or memoty.xml) in order to update the mod to the latest version.

elsajones

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [ETHIC:KILL_FPS:PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 02:52:16 am »

So maybe the last post in this topic was four months ago but I feel that this is something people should know - cos it took me heaps of time to find it and didnt show up in a standard google search. But hey, even if it isn't perfect it still gives us a core.xml for 31.18  :)

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Andux
0.31.xx

Tweak XML files for partial 0.31.01–18 support (mainly just Tile Edit at this point)

* For 0.31.04+, you may need to rename Dwarf Fortress.exe to dwarfort.exe for Tweak to recognize it.
    * Support for 0.31.05 SDL currently has serious issues, and 0.31.06 SDL is not supported at all.
    * Versions 0.31.09–11 were skipped due to computer issues (and subsequent distractions).
    * Also available as a package with Tweak 1.3.0.0, based on jweather's release with 40d offsets.
-~-~ :) :) :)