Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 61688 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #300 on: January 26, 2011, 07:10:24 am »

I think that it will require a LOT of work and will help only people using CUDA.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02:39 am »

Fps death will alway be an issue. The map is just huge, and the dwarf will get cleverer and cleverer. (which mean more and more processing power will be needed).
You'll just have to take a map large enough, and you'll bring any processors to his knees.

Now there is lot of room for improvement, and toady will get to that eventually.
I don't think gpu will be used efficiently, as toady would have to learn and implement both cuda and ati's equivalent (and df would require a powerful graphic card, wouldn't work on any competitor's graphic card, and would be threatened by any change by nvidia and ati).
Maybe if he release it open source, but he won't do that until it's finished, and even then it's not sure.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2011, 11:40:45 am »

It won't always be an issue, because Toady will die one day.

Or he'll stop adding features. But perhaps that's a fate worse than death?
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 26, 2011, 11:51:23 am »

For me "fate worse than death" in this topic means great game with bugs (and low FPS) ruining everything.

===

On topic:
"Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?" - no, always we can start 25x25 embark with 100 z-levels of air, 900 of rock, 500 z levels waterfall. And maybe 3900 dwarves and 100k goblins on top of it.

But constant lowering of FPS for no apparent reason*, multiple CPU eating bugs - it is other story.

[ * ] I have this in second year - FPS from 80 to 40 with constant number of items and fort inhabitants.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 26, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »

Hi, i've been paging trough this thread a little and i feel i bit out of place(Math breaks my brain for some reason) But you know the nvidia has a little side project running using CUDA for repettetive tasks and that the cuda source is open for develepors (look at boinc for example) I think Df is a prime example of a program that could use the brute force of recently releaced video cards?

Or am i making a REALLY dump statement here  :-\

There are portability problems. I didn't look into it since this summer, but running it on a radeon card was hell of a bitch.
The code is possibly different for mac/linux/windows, too. Ah, and it can get obsolete.
And it's horribly complicated, and more appropriate for matrix operations anyway.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »

Are you sure? Someone will take his place... hopefully and won't transform DF into something bad
Desu

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 26, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »

Are you sure? Someone will take his place... hopefully and won't transform DF into something bad
It is unlikely that his testament includes what should be done with DF source code.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2011, 04:52:53 pm »

It is unlikely that his testament includes what should be done with DF source code.

He said in an interview or something he would release it on death.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2011, 08:48:51 pm »

He said in an interview or something he would release it on death.

Morbid, but true. And considerate of him.

As for FPS death. *RAGE!* :(
Buying parts for a new PC is largely influenced by how well DF will run on it now, I find. o.o;

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2011, 04:45:20 am »

Toady releases it on his death yes but only if it was a "natural" one - thus if nobody tried to murder him or arranged a unfortunate accident. He did so just in case some nutjob fan gets ideas.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lemi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 28, 2011, 06:09:03 am »

Even when using the most powerful intel processor available to commercial markets, I can only get the game to maintain 100 FPS up to 80 dwarves. Even it will become unbearable if I embark anything larger then the default area and get more then 150 dwarves. DF needs serious optimization and/or multithreading before FPS deaths become less common, but for now I just cap how many dwarves I get so it remains comfortable to play.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 29, 2011, 11:03:26 am »

Hi, i've been paging trough this thread a little and i feel i bit out of place(Math breaks my brain for some reason) But you know the nvidia has a little side project running using CUDA for repettetive tasks and that the cuda source is open for develepors (look at boinc for example) I think Df is a prime example of a program that could use the brute force of recently releaced video cards?

Or am i making a REALLY dump statement here  :-\

There are portability problems. I didn't look into it since this summer, but running it on a radeon card was hell of a bitch.
The code is possibly different for mac/linux/windows, too. Ah, and it can get obsolete.
And it's horribly complicated, and more appropriate for matrix operations anyway.
we would have to use openCl if you want to use the graphics cards for calculations without losing compatibility. thing is that new radeon chips has a massive number of cores over nvidia (MADD cores from 2008 are from 800 to i think now 1700), while nividia cores is more than half that number (80 to 512).

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #312 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:02 am »

This thread has been extremely informative - on FPS improving tips, DF internals, and coding in general.

And of course it's informed me that "someone" is an immature skiddie who can't distinguish being a good programmer from knowing how to twiddle bits in IDA. A totally legal copy of IDA, I'm sure. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest after reading the entire thread straight through.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

RiotHouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pure ASCII
« Reply #313 on: February 03, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »

If you think you have FPS problems, try all of the above and then throw FRAPS into the mix.

One of the things i've noticed is that if you want to get rid of stone for FPS you can set your craftsdwarves to repeat rock crafts.  Then dump all that onto the merchants when they come.  Gets rid of a ton of stone and gives you something else (maybe more useful) for your fortress.  It won't solve the problem but there are a few in game methods that are not as inventive as quantom smashing etc.

The best we can do is try to streamline our Forts, which means designing them to be efficient.  Instead of mining out sprawl we can have a planned setup where Dwarves don't path all over the place in order to do something.  Keep everything centralized and functional.

Just my 2 cents
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]