Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 61794 times)

JamesK89

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:00 am »

Why does it even matter for game speed? Obviously there's a problem in a way game interacts with open tiles.
Pathfinding.

Quite simply, I know people looked into understanding how DF manages Dwarf AI and pathfinding -which remains the single biggest FPS killer. The more dwarves, creatures, paths, and items for them to interact with = worse fps.

The problem is that DF probably tries to solve pathfinding for everything at once every frame.
I believe the solution would be to do what RTS games do and put everybody in a queue and solve pathfinding for one or two units every frame or two.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:30 pm »

Hmm, didn`t want to open a new thread for this..

In every dwarf fortress version (Excluding 31.11 which i haven`t played.) i could play with ~180 FPS at embark. But now, in 31.12 i only get 80-100 FPS upon embark. Obviously i`m not amused.

I can also only use the 2D setting without getting a crash at the launch of the game.

Seriously, what happened?

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »

Computing power hasn't been about processing speed for a long time guys.

You are going to make DF faster by changing the pathing algorithm, this isn't 1960 anymore. The act of collecting the information to path in the first place takes more time than calculating it. Newer processors are faster because they can deal with lots of information better, not because they do individual calculations faster. Additionally, how you go about deciding when to path and where to store the information it needs will impact speed more than how you do the actually path.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »

The problem is that DF probably tries to solve pathfinding for everything at once every frame.
I believe the solution would be to do what RTS games do and put everybody in a queue and solve pathfinding for one or two units every frame or two.
My opinion also. Pathfinding doesn't have to be done instantaneously. If the critters in DF have slower reaction times but make the game playably fast in return, that's a trade-off I'm a-OK with.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2010, 06:35:53 pm »

I'm still trying to find out how to change the linux kernel so that it will defer all power over to DF. therefore we can have a DF-OS and it will be wonderful and nobody will die in the process.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:53 pm »

It should be noted that current processor cores aren't really getting more advanced. It's very hard to make a core even faster, given the limitations of space and heating. What most processor companies do these days is increase the number of cores in processors (dual cores are common these days and even quad cores are spreading) and delegate certain functions to other sub-processors; for example, graphic functions are done by GPU and lately, physics processors done via a so-called PPU are spreading too.

The problem is, as long as a program (or process, if you want to be accurate) runs on a single thread, it can only run on a single core as well. That means that even though I have a quad-core processor, DF can only use 25% of its maximum capacity.

Yeah, there are probably a lot of other places where optimization could be made (can't be exact here, since I obviously don't have an information as to how DF is designed and implemented). But as much as its cited on these forums, as long as DF remains single-thread, it won't be able to take advantage of modern hardware.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2010, 07:36:19 pm »

DF-OS [...] nobody will die in the process.

I'm pretty sure that if you made a DF-OS, magma would start pouring out of your computer.

Twitch

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »

No, there is in fact a wall. A giant, unbreakable wall named Physics. Processors can only get so small. And then comes the power issues that lead to unwanted antennae. Not fun.

Actually, they just figured out how to make a silicon-based laser. Since light beams can't intersect and bounce off each other, once silicon lasers get cheaper that will open up all kinds of space when beams of light replace leads inside the physical processor itself. Lasers are also alot cooler than wires because it only generates heat at the endpoints.
I predict that cores in the future will be tight rings or spheres of components firing binary lasers to each other through a vacuum, and a design like this should be able to hit the tens of gHz easily.
In the far far future processors should be using quantum entanglement instead of wires or lasers, and instead of binary they will use base 6 (instead of 0 and 1, the six flavors of quarks.)
Remember not long ago when people said computers had hit the limit because you couldnt make vacuum tubes any smaller? Exactly.
,.nn,.n.,UM.,n.,.,nn
N,,.U|++u|

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2010, 08:34:22 pm »

No, there is in fact a wall. A giant, unbreakable wall named Physics. Processors can only get so small. And then comes the power issues that lead to unwanted antennae. Not fun.

Actually, they just figured out how to make a silicon-based laser. Since light beams can't intersect and bounce off each other, once silicon lasers get cheaper that will open up all kinds of space when beams of light replace leads inside the physical processor itself. Lasers are also alot cooler than wires because it only generates heat at the endpoints.
I predict that cores in the future will be tight rings or spheres of components firing binary lasers to each other through a vacuum, and a design like this should be able to hit the tens of gHz easily.
In the far far future processors should be using quantum entanglement instead of wires or lasers, and instead of binary they will use base 6 (instead of 0 and 1, the six flavors of quarks.)
Remember not long ago when people said computers had hit the limit because you couldnt make vacuum tubes any smaller? Exactly.

You're absolutely right. The wall I was referring to is inevitable under the current system. Eventually a new system will replace the current one, and that one will have its own limit. The trick is finding the new system every 15-25 years or so.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2010, 08:48:07 pm »

You're absolutely right. The wall I was referring to is inevitable under the current system. Eventually a new system will replace the current one, and that one will have its own limit. The trick is finding the new system every 15-25 years or so.
Most likely, the next system will be graphene based. graphene is basically a single atom thick sheet of graphite; it's a hexagonal carbon lattice.  It's also an extremely good conductor. By bonding hydrogen atoms to specific carbon atoms in the lattice, the resistance can be changed. This will allow for 'transistors' composed of only a few atoms. that was only a basic explanation, but google can explain further.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50:17 pm »

Well, you're making computers more efficient but there is still a wall that will be reached.

Once 100% of the power/energy that goes into a computer is used for computations, you can't go further :P

The good news is, that computer wouldn't require a heatsink or any cooling...
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2010, 11:45:12 pm »

Well, you're making computers more efficient but there is still a wall that will be reached.

Once 100% of the power/energy that goes into a computer is used for computations, you can't go further :P

The good news is, that computer wouldn't require a heatsink or any cooling...

Actually, you could go further. There's always MOAR POWER

martys1103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2010, 01:36:03 am »

150 FPS is TOO SLOW TO PLAY?! TRY TO PLAY AT 25-30 FPS AT EMBARK! (Stop complaining.)

i play at 10-15 FPS at embark...

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2010, 01:41:23 pm »

I play at 0 FPS at embark, AND THEN IT GETS SLOWER!
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2010, 05:35:47 pm »

As computers will raise in power, DF will raise in complexity.
This needs a name. Like Moore's law.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21