Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

I need input

(1/1)

Dungeon:
I'm playing 40D for starters, and in my one game, I've been dealing with alot of Sieges. Well, okay, not ALOT compared to some, but they are coming unusually fast, and getting bigger and bigger each time. And I don't see them getting any smaller, or less frequent. Especially given that the 3rd one couldn't have been 6 months since the last one.

So, I have 2 entrances to my fort through above ground fortifications. I'm thinking about installing flood gates in the middle of them to create a decent sized pocket. With the switches, if possible rigged a Z-level down, in the actual fort. And this all tied to pumps with artifical resevoir's also on switches going into the same area's of the fort, so that in the worst case scenario I can pump the water in-between the two sets of floodgates to take advantage of the cold above-ground nature and thus freeze and create an ice-wall. And of course, keep out the worst of Sieges.

I think my theory sounds like it should be sound. But, I'm still a novice with the game. What do you guys think?

Terisuke:
Sounds fun, and very dwarfy, but just remember that trolls destroy floodgates.  Make sure you have a contingency for that.

Dungeon:
Well, I'll have to think up something. I'd like to say I could use my oodles and oodles of cage traps. But if I'm forced to pump water up to freeze into a ice wall. I'd say that they are just not enough by then.

I dunno. I'm bassicly clutching at straws to ensure I can survive what I am sure will be ever increasing hell on earth. I had it easy at first, what with only Kobolds, and Goblin Snatchers and the monkies.

But I need to get my act together, I have my Dwarves training. Which is great. But I need to get them armor, and weapons other then Bows. I've at least got one half of the equastion of Bronze. Casterite.

jester:
moats work well too, but they will be filled with ice at times

Dungeon:
Sadly the terrain on this map wouldn't allow for that, or rather, the way I designed my fortress. The moat would end up dumping into my dining hall and main kitchen. And flood the fort badly.

Bloated belly up dwarves are not something I wanna clean up  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version