Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stranded II, Wurm, Tale in the Desert: any other games similar to these?  (Read 10849 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I freaking love these 'survival' type of games.  Anyone know of others that are similar to them?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haven and Hearth is a pretty fun survival game  :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile

Oh man, that's a pretty big genre there.  Even just among the OP's subject, one of them is single-player only, and one of the others has no concept of dying.  Although they are all in 3d, which I'd consider important enough.

Uhhh...

Well, there's an awful lot of games where you put item A and item B together to get item C.  Games with a little bit of research hunting and gathering are a bit rarer...Schiffbruch for the PC, and Survival Kids / Lost in Blue for the GBA, are both similar games to this genre but I would put them below the qualifying line (ie, they are not good enough).  You might still like taking Schiffbruch for a spin though I guess, it's very short (and fairly similar to Stranded II, though not in 3d).  Although I guess if you wanted that genre of game you would just go play that weird roguelike-ish thing set in practically stone age Scandinavia (don't remember the name)...

If you can stomach old OLD games, you might like Wilderness: a Survival Adventure.  Despite being in CGA graphics, it is actually in 3d, and was among the first games where that really mattered!  It does not feature any significant crafting, but in some ways it's the best simulator of actual survival situations that I've seen.  No compass?  Have fun navigating by the sun, and then by landmarks once the clouds roll in.  Oh yeah and you're not on the equator either, so have fun with that.  Do you know where you're going once the sun sets?  Are you following the river you think you are on your topo map?  Also very important:  Regulating your temperature.  Not running out of water.  Travelling on flat land instead of slopes to cover ground faster, and keeping to trees for shelter, materials, and scavenged food if you're lucky, although the terrain could tire you faster.  Seeking shelter when you need to.  Properly caring for wounds...oh yeah, and just how bad IS your leg after you took that fall?  Is it sprained, or might it be broken?  Either way, now you're stuck in the open, the trees are too far to limp to before the sun goes down, and it looks like there's snow on the way...  Analog difficulty is nice too; the higher it is, the less supplies you crashed your plane with.  (What do you MEAN I'm in a blizzard with no jacket or matches, and only half a day of food?  That is actually winnable, btw; it's harsh and very hungry but you can wait the blizzard out in your crashed plane, and make quick excursions when the weather lets down for a while until you're ready)

It's pretty lenient--it doesn't seem to be very demanding about the order I build my shelter and set up my sleeping bag and pad (or if I forget the pad altogether), and I think it fudges a lot of things that it could have been a lot meaner with.  Like, you can dry your clothes over a fire.  I'm sure it actually does help, and prevents you from getting screwed over in new and creative ways, but the effects are slight enough that I don't notice.  I guess that's kinda like the real world, but in the real world if there's a 2% chance that screwing it up will get me killed, I'll pay a lot more attention.  In any case, it could stand to give the player more feedback.

Back on topic... *cringes* Eve Online?  If they ever had a reboot and started the economy from scratch, it would be fucking awesome and right up your alley.  Hell, even I would probably get into that.  But yeah that's not going to happen.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:07:06 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

UnReal World. :)
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

Hellmoo rebooted just a couple weeks ago, now would be the best time to start that game.

But in there, your fellow players are the real threat.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile

Notrium is an excellent survival game too, very replayable.
http://www.instantkingdom.com/notrium/