Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Dwarven Metropolis, Choppeddwellings [MEGAPROJECT]  (Read 1406 times)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
The Dwarven Metropolis, Choppeddwellings [MEGAPROJECT]
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:15 pm »

I thought about dwarven architecture for a second, and thought of a important question.

"What would a dwarvenly underground citadel look like?"

And arises the idea of a community game, the Dwarven Metropolis.
Basically, a incredibly giant city made by dwarven hands, it would look as if it was a real life city, but completely underground, except for the most dwarvenly and important buildings for nobles.

The blueprints of it would basically be a giant hollowed out section from a volcano, making a second sky made of rock, but underground. And then basically erect buildings and stuff so it looks like a giant underground city. Obviously, with a magma river crossing through the roads and water aqueducts. For a better idea or image, imagine something like Ironforge from World of Warcraft, or Orzammar from Dragon Age.

tl;dr, Manhattan in DF, but underground.

Basically, it's going to be a giant dwarvenly art of a city.
You can take the place as any dwarf, and I'll acknowledge it. (eventually)

The thing that makes this a megaproject, is that the city itself will be HUGE, and like, actually as if it was a city, but underground. As I said, imagine it like Ironforge or Orzammar, a gigantic cavern with buildings and stuff erected in it. Plus, user requested content and working aqueducts/magmeducts.

The Name of the city is Choppeddwellings, The Angelic Firey Blood-City of Stones, or in Dwarvenese, Atotsiknug Sedilzirilnazushineth Lam

I am using Ironhand's Graphics Set (go tile magic) to make it more easier on the eye, and the city more aesthetically pleasing.

You can start choosing the starting 7 dwarves, or request a immigrant dwarf.
You can't choose your dwarf's profession if you're one of the starting dwarves (Sorry, I need certain dwarves to do this megaproject), but if you're a immigrant dwarf, you can pick whether to be a random immigrant dwarf and I micromanage him to your profession, or a immigrant dwarf with the profession you want whenever one comes. But, I'm glad to give them custom professions and nicknames.

[embark location]

Spoiler: Current Dwarves (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fortress Agendas (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Emperor's Diary (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 08:05:34 pm by Calvin »

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Metropolis, Choppeddwellings [MEGAPROJECT]
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »

21st Malachite, 1051
A band of 10 migrants and a child arrived.

Report:
Three carpenters, one stoneworker, one gemcutter, two clothesmakers, a miller, a trader, and a wrestler.
Seems good.

Progress Report on the Project:
Spoiler: Screenshots (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:44:39 pm »

I'll take a Mechanic/Architect in the future.
Name: Derek
Proffesion: Chief Engineer.
Secondary job: Personal consultant for the leader. (My job is to design the city and be your best friend.)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:44 am »

Name: Urist McStupid
Profession: Pump/Siege Operator
He normally builds and  runs perpetual motion machines for power, but in times of siege, runs ballistae.
I'm curious, how will you build in the Magma Chamber? Will you breach it with screw pumps Aquifer style? Channel a river/aquifer into it and carve out the obsidian? Channel it out? What?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:52:15 pm »

Ah shit, have to restart everything fff.

It crashed and I didn't get to save, no backups or anything.

Oh well, By the way, I was gonna build the magma chamber by tapping the side of the volcano, and then build up a cistern through several seasons of murky pool raining, because finding a brook in a volcano tile is pretty hard.

I also built a nice layout for a obsidian farm before it crashed, it was checker patterned so it saved room and was easier to use.
Too late now, starting a new game...

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 07:56:48 pm »

Interesting. If you dig into the side, won't your dwarf get burnt to a crisp? Or set alight?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »

Interesting. If you dig into the side, won't your dwarf get burnt to a crisp? Or set alight?

Magma in this version moves incredibly slowly.

The worse dwarves usually get is minor burns. Even if they're engulfed in 1/7 lava, they now can live for a while in lava.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:44:01 pm »

I'll take Cog Zegolin, please. I'll think of a name in a minute.
Name: Cog 'Magmaburn' Zegolin
Profession: Miner/Mason
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 08:47:15 pm by NewsMuffin »