Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: reagent classes. How? also: book-as-a-product?  (Read 6148 times)

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: reagent classes. How? also: book-as-a-product?
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:25 pm »

parchment?
Uhm. These are dwarves. The books will be made of STONE.
Those are called tablets. Nice idea btw.

The 10 1 dwarven commandment: THOU SHALT USE MAGMA

Also, maybe a custom workshop where paper/parchment/vellum is made, using wood and leather respectively, is in order. The books then could also be made here. Also, maybe there is a way to have the description of the book be sort of like an engraving, ie This is a superior book of Urist McAuthor and a mule. Urist McAuthor is punching the mule in the face.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »

The ideas of books is all fine and dandy, but the end result, for near everything being discussed here, Toady has to add it more than likely.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 11:56:02 pm »

The current "skill up" workshops seem rather too easy and "cheat-ey", though I know they're mostly workarounds for broken military and whatnot.

The stuff we're talking about isn't bad.  Someone spending all their time reading is going to become a pretty talented reader assuming they're capable of learning.

Edit:
Spoiler:  It's a desk. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:06:27 am by SethCreiyd »

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 07:33:08 am »

How can reagent classes be assigned, and over what categories of items?

I have simulated reagent classes for items by creating fake stone that does not appear in-game, assigning REACTION_CLASS to it, then customizing items to have the relevant matgloss. This way customized items 'have' the reaction class. Don't know if it's useful for you.

By the way, plants can be assigned REACTION_CLASS too, and it works as intended. Now trying with animal products, like skin and fat...
-
V.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 08:01:12 am »

How can reagent classes be assigned, and over what categories of items?

I have simulated reagent classes for items by creating fake stone that does not appear in-game, assigning REACTION_CLASS to it, then customizing items to have the relevant matgloss. This way customized items 'have' the reaction class. Don't know if it's useful for you.

By the way, plants can be assigned REACTION_CLASS too, and it works as intended. Now trying with animal products, like skin and fat...

This is exactly the sort of thing I was trying to find out. Thank you! What do you mean by "customizing items to have the relevant matgloss"?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2010, 08:23:02 am »

Well, some bits of research here... http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59311.msg1341304#msg1341304

Basically my trick applies only to items created via custom reactions. You can create any item with any matgloss, so if you use matgloss that has reaction class, item will have the same reaction class. This does not apply to standard-issue items made from standard-issue materials, alas (but can be applied to standard items from modded materials). If you need more details on this, I'll try to elaborate, although I am not really a great modder =)
-
V.
Pages: 1 2 [3]