Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in new weapons?  (Read 3199 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding in new weapons?
« on: June 18, 2010, 11:46:01 am »

If I wanted to, say, have my Dwarves be able to manufacture and wield crowbars, how would I go about it?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in new weapons?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 12:03:53 pm »

Hm, you can take a raw file for weapons, copy-paste the hammer entry, change ID and name to crowbar, then add a string to raw file for dwarven entity and add this weapon as common... Can you please detail your question a little bit?
-
V.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:33:45 pm »

Well, how much could I customize it? Would I be able to have it use the "Crowbar-using" skill? Would I be able to control its damage output and hit rate?
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 12:43:02 pm »

Well, no new skills are possible as of now (and I believe they will never be), so you'll have to choose the one existing skill that you like most. Hammerdwarf or macedwarf are rather close to that. You can also edit it so that there will be "crowbardwarf" profession in game instead of "hammerdwarf", but skill will still be named Hammer.
Damage output is now being discussed in another thread on weapon research, but a quick answer is - yes, you can control the damage and the way it is inflicted very flexibly.
Hit rate is not moddable.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:49:22 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:53 pm »

How would I set up the Metalsmith's workshop to produce these crowbars?

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:55:52 pm »

Well, no new skills are possible as of now (and I believe they will never be), so you'll have to choose the one existing skill that you like most. Hammerdwarf or macedwarf are rather close to that. You can also edit it so that there will be "crowbardwarf" profession in game instead of "hammerdwarf", but skill will still be named Hammer.
Damage output is now being discussed in another thread on weapon research, but a quick answer is - yes, you can control the damage and the way it is inflicted very flexibly.

Excuse me sir, but, a crowbar is nothing like a mace or hammer when I wielded it.

It was like a sword or axe. B)

If you allow the weapons to be made by the civilizations that you want to make crowbars in the entity_default.txt file, they will be able to make it (from the forge).
And you can also modify some things that influence damage, but hit rate and pure damage is based upon the dwarf's stats and the materials the weapon is made of.

Also, if you wanted to see what it would look like, here's the item_weapons file.
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROWBAR]
[NAME:crowbar:crowbars]
[SIZE:350]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:1500:swing:swings:sharp edge:2000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:4000:whack:whacks:flat edge:3000]

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 12:57:08 pm »

Well, add something like this to item_weapon.txt in RAWS folder
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROWBAR]
[NAME:crowbar:crowbars]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:200:5000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]

and add this string to entity_default.txt , under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag:
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROWBAR]
That should do the job. If it does not, feel free to ask.

Also, there are a couple of good resources for beginner modders, like wiki and these two forum threads: 1 2
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:00:15 pm by afoninv »
-
V.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:58:28 pm »

What, exactly, were you killing with a crowbar?

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:58:43 pm »

Excuse me sir, but, a crowbar is nothing like a mace or hammer when I wielded it.

It was like a sword or axe. B)
Ah, I can be very wrong about crowbar wielding, my bad =)
-
V.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 01:49:22 pm »

You can also edit it so that there will be "crowbardwarf" profession in game instead of "hammerdwarf",

"crowbardwarf"

bard

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:49 pm »

You can also edit it so that there will be "crowbardwarf" profession in game instead of "hammerdwarf",
"crowbardwarf"
worf

Wait, what?
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 12:28:14 pm »

"crowbardwarf"
worf

Wait, what?

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 01:01:57 pm »

the architect skill I think would make a little more sense with using a crowbar than the hammer or mace or axe OR sword skill.
(yes its possible to use non-combat skills, take a look at the pick, it uses mining)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 02:02:47 pm »

I should mod in a megaphone that uses the Consoler skill.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 02:06:48 pm »

I should mod in a megaphone that uses the Consoler skill.
The soundwave hits the goblin in the torso, it is broken!
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.