Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't dump items!!  (Read 7244 times)

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't dump items!!
« on: June 18, 2010, 08:03:05 pm »

Ok, so here's the deal...I had a dwarf go into a strange mood right when I started my fortress and I proceeded to build workshops until he claimed one. The problem was he claimed my forge and demanded metal bars which I did not have, could not make since he claimed the only anvil, and the trader didn't come in time and he didn't have bars anyways. I locked him in with his workshop and let that be that. He stripped his clothes and died like normal, but for some reason I cannot get rid of his clothes scattered on the ground.

The dwarves will move them around when I try to build a wall or place a door or something in that spot, but they refuse to refuse it, ba dum chh. Is there any way to get rid of this crap laying around? And yes, I've tried to forbid/reclaim dump/undump etc so what gives.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't dump items!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »

Don't they need to bury his clothes with him?  Have you got a coffin for him?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:24:10 pm »

Are the clothes outside? If so, you need to hit o and then r and then o again. That will allowed dwarves to dump things that are located outside.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:53 pm »

Clothes are inside the fort underground and I know about forbidding collecting things outside. He is in his coffin naked already. They say they are owned by the dead dwarf's wife now but I should still be able to dump them.

*I just now had the exact same situation, a clothier had a fey mood and I didn't have any shells for him, he got locked in the exact same room, stripped off his clothes right next to those the other guy left behind and the dwarves immediately picked them all up when the door was unlocked, just ignoring the other clothes. Could this be an ownership thing then and if so how do I fix it?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:44:17 pm by eraiders »

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:57:41 pm »

Fix is in place:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »

Fix is in place:

Thanks, I see why people come to these forums for help now.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »

Looking at the description of the clothes will tell you that they are owned by a new dwarf. Owned items cannot be designated for dumping. To remove the clutter, give the owner a room with a cabinet or two and they'll store the items in their spare time. Otherwise, just use the hide option to remove them from your display.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:19:31 pm »

Fix is in place:

Thanks, I see why people come to these forums for help now.

awwww... laugh a little.. i was just replying to the thread so i could come back to it later. I tend to answer questions in between tasks at work.

As to your question. If your dwarves simply wont move the items and the issue is asthetic i'd recomend hiding the offending items. Out of sight out of mind.

For an explanation the best i can come up with is that there is an ownership issue? Perhaps they still "belong" to the dwarf and as a result the other dwarves won't stockpile them? try building a tomb for the dwarf with a chest in it. See if the items get stored there.

eraiders

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:51:31 pm »

Thanks everyone, I had no idea owned items could not be dumped as this is the first time I've had that problem. This is the first fort that I've been cracking the dwarven whip pretty bad on so I neglected to assign any rooms or stuff. Makes perfect sense now, when I looked at the items and saw owners before my last post it dawned on me. Here is what weird too, some of the second dwarf's clothes that went insane were picked up and moved but there were a few pieces that got an owner and were left sitting there along with the other dead dorf's clothes. You would think it would be all or nothing. Anyways thanks for helping me learn something new, at least this finally convinced me to create an account on here.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 05:54:49 pm »

The problem was he claimed my forge and demanded metal bars which I did not have, could not make since he claimed the only anvil

You don't use a forge to make bars, you use a smelter

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 07:23:09 pm »

The problem was he claimed my forge and demanded metal bars which I did not have, could not make since he claimed the only anvil

You don't use a forge to make bars, you use a smelter
I like to think that in the 8 years that have passed since that comment, eraiders has figured it out...