Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Foretress Plus - Official Bugs and Requests Thread  (Read 2679 times)

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Foretress Plus - Official Bugs and Requests Thread
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:14:48 am »

Bit of a hiatus due to thesis work, but the DF+ repack is back and updated for v0.31.25

Dwarf Fortress Plus is a Repack of DF v0.31.25 which includes:
  • Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25
  • Full civilization and creature graphics. Every critter and soldier accounted for.
  • Matching tileset that improves visual experience but still allows multiple interpretations of the same symbol.
  • Custom color scheme designed to go easy on the eyes and improve navigating menus on DF2010
  • Tweaks to improve FPS and allow quicker zooming between the overview and close-up game resolutions.
  • Latest release of Dwarf Therapist included
  • Latest release of Stonesense isometric viewer included.

Screencaps for the curious:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please leave comments, bug reports, or requests below.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:13:58 pm by Coaldiamond »

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Foretress Plus - Official Bugs and Requests Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »

Is this pack aimed at being newb friendly in order to attract the masses and remove the some of the initial learning curve? If so i think a tile set that is easier on the eyes would be more appropriate.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 05:47:17 pm »

Sorry to hear that you didn't like the tileset, HeliumFreak. Can you be more specific about what is hard-on-the-eyes?

Are the letters hard to read? Do you prefer square graphics over non-square? Are the tiles not detailed enough?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 07:22:15 pm »

If you're looking for a big, hunky, resolution-hogging set, check out mine.
I will warn you, though, it is still very much a work in progress.

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 03:40:58 pm »

No its not that i dont "like" the tileset per say, i used to play ASCII like most people at one point. Thats why i asked if it was aimed at newbies or not. I just feel that if you want to make the game look appealing to new commers youd be better off showing DF in the most modern possible representation that you can.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:16:29 pm »

No its not that i dont "like" the tileset per say, i used to play ASCII like most people at one point. Thats why i asked if it was aimed at newbies or not. I just feel that if you want to make the game look appealing to new commers youd be better off showing DF in the most modern possible representation that you can.
I wouldnt say That, most newcomers tend to have slower computers meaning that a more basic tile set is better so that they can actually Run the game in such a manner that they wont rage quit.
I started with a pre-packed Dystopian Rhetoric and found it to be easy to understand and play with.

Dwarf fortress isnt very well suited to people who look at a picture of a dwarf and say, That is a dwarf.
Wrong! that is a Representation of a dwarf, it is represented that way so you can easily understand that it is not a dog or a cat.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:18:33 am »

Hey, you stole my name :P. Genesis was Dwarf Fortress Plus some time ago. Hehe, kidding, there're no patents of any sort :).

I wouldnt say That, most newcomers tend to have slower computers meaning that a more basic tile set is better so that they can actually Run the game in such a manner that they wont rage quit.
It doesn't matter if the tileset is basic or not for the game speed, it's just a matter of a taste.
I prefer square sets because it's easier to guess the distance correctly there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:21:29 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 04:44:46 am »

I wish I had thought of something like this before...  :o Wait!
Hey, you stole my idea!... nah I'm kidding as well :P (although I was a little worried for a second that I unknowingly stole it from you, and had a redundant pack).
Our packs are different enough, and it doesn't matter if they weren't.
The more people that discover DF because of packs like these the better. (Although I guess Toady is worried that newcomers will become dependent on the awesome third party utilities.) My goal is to bridge a bit of a gap for the Lazies/Newbs and ASCII/Mod/ComplicatedThings challenged.

So good on ya! Personally prefer full-tilt graphical tilesets as well, but there's always room for some ASCII. Also having a tile for every creature is an impressive feat.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:48:41 am by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:31:30 am »

Also having a tile for every creature is an impressive feat.
It's a normal feat for any mod, but it takes some time to make ;).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 10:36:01 pm »

Thanks for the input guys.

Yeah, so, I know there are already several very good repacks out there, but I just wanted to make Plac1d's set available for the new DF2010. How can more variety be a bad thing?

I'm planning on the v0.31.08 release when there is a working update for Stonesense. Also, I found a much more subdued YELLOW color, so that should make the set less visually glaring. We'll see how it goes.

I know Plac1d's been working on a complete overhaul on his own, but I only hear from him every once in a while.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 10:00:52 pm »

OK, repack for v0.31.08 is all set to go.

Changes:
-Color has been toned down. Yellows were too hot in the 31.06 repack
-New custom graphic for pillar! Too cool, I had no idea Toady was planning to do that.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:13:57 pm »

Ok, its been awhile, but the work/real life calmed down enough for me to put together a repack for DF v0.31.12.

Also, its sad to hear that chmod is setting Dwarf Therapist aside.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 03:16:03 pm »

Well, its been a long time, but the DF+ repack is updated for version v0.31.25 with all the new domestic critters, jobs, and donation animals.