Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]  (Read 17052 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:18:46 am »

Hello again!  I was playing Kobold Camp earlier and managed to take down a dragon, but I was sorely disappointed when my kobolds couldn't make anything snazzy out of the scales she surrendered when butchered.  So, I decided to do something about it.

This mod expands butchery and tanning to produce a variety of new products, including:

- fur
   - scaly hide, such as dragonskin
   - wearable carapace, produced from chitin
   - wool thread and cloth
   - gut thread
   - feathers

All of the hide-like materials function in essentially the same manner as leather, and wool and gut thread function as, whoopie do, thread. The mod also contains modified versions of the majority of the raws included in vanilla Dwarf Fortress.

It also functions as a brief demonstration of how creature variations can be used to reduce needless clutter in the creature raws and stockpile/item lists by reducing frequently-repeated tissue allocation to a few variations. All of the credit for this concept belongs to the Captain, who assisted me greatly with this mod.

Long story short, this mod allows your dwarves to swagger around in dragon hide cloaks and werewolf fur mittens!

The file can be found here on the DFFD.

Please reply with your opinions on the mod!  The creature variation system is rather experimental, and I also haven't tested this extensively (hence the beta status). Any reports on how it plays and bugs that might crop up are very much appreciated!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 06:39:52 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.5b]
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:53:24 am »

Very well done!  :) Once again Lofn arrives with a mod that makes playing DF more fun.

I've made small mods to certain "useless" creature mats (feathers, hair, etc.) so that they can be used as decorations. For example, I put the [HORN] tag in FEATHER_TEMPLATE so that they can be used when decorating with horn at the Craftsdwarf's shop. Can these changes be merged with the TanMod so that I can have the best of both worlds?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:56:15 am »

That should be very possible - come to think of it, there's no real reason for feathers to require cleaning before being used anyway.  It's just hit 1am so I need to head to bed, but if you want to post a link to your mod or PM it to me or something, then I'd be happy to merge it with the rest of the raws and credit you appropriately!
Also known as Zuhayr.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 01:32:01 pm »

This'll be awesome. I will take great pleasure in cladding my army in feathers.

Yeah, they'll get slaughtered probably. But it'll be Fabulous!

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 02:12:23 pm »

A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »

That should be very possible - come to think of it, there's no real reason for feathers to require cleaning before being used anyway.  It's just hit 1am so I need to head to bed, but if you want to post a link to your mod or PM it to me or something, then I'd be happy to merge it with the rest of the raws and credit you appropriately!

There's nothing much to it: Just go to material_template_default.ini and add the respective tags to the material entries. If you want to use hair for decorations with the "decorate with ivory" command, for example, just add a [TOOTH] tag to HAIR_TEMPLATE. Want to use feathers with the "decorate w/ horn" command? add [HORN] to FEATHER_TEMPLATE.

Of course, if you have both horns and feathers in the refuse pile, a craftsdwarf will use either when decorating. Use a separate stockpile next to the Craftsdwarf's shop with the material you want to decorate with.

EDIT: Looking at the TanMod, for those who have modded certain materials to act as shells (for moods, etc.), it is a good idea to remove the [AUTOMATIC] tag from the new reactions. Found this out the hard way when the feathers I used for decoration went straight to the tanner's shop for cleaning as soon as they were harvested.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:44:55 pm by rgon842 »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

I made a few small changes (mostly removing AUTOMATIC from the feather and chitin reactions and adding [HORN] to the raw butchery items) and uploaded the new raws - thanks for the suggestions, rgon842.  Now, the last mod like this I made resulted in some strange bugs, mostly people showing up with 'giant cave spider fatty leggings' and the like - has anyone tried this mod and had similar issues?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 07:50:38 pm »

For whatever reason DF started spitting errors about the parrots from the Direforged mod once I installed this one, other than that, nothing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, you seem to be missing the promised modified creature files in the archive. (And on top of that, would it be too much to ask to get a list of the creatures modified in those? It'd make it much easier to merge it with already modified files.)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:30 pm »

For whatever reason DF started spitting errors about the parrots from the Direforged mod once I installed this one, other than that, nothing.
That's rather strange - since the feather mod doesn't actually change the nature of feathers or what they appear on, it shouldn't be causing any errors at all.

Also, you seem to be missing the promised modified creature files in the archive. (And on top of that, would it be too much to ask to get a list of the creatures modified in those? It'd make it much easier to merge it with already modified files.)

Oh, bollocks, sorry about that.  I'll add them and upload, and edit the first post/readme to contain a list of modified creatures.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 08:01:48 pm »

That's rather strange - since the feather mod doesn't actually change the nature of feathers or what they appear on, it shouldn't be causing any errors at all.

Confuses me too, the raws don't seem to have anything that would cause a problem, but I'm not very familiar with the new creature raws.

Oh, bollocks, sorry about that.  I'll add them and upload, and edit the first post/readme to contain a list of modified creatures.

Not a problem at all, but it did confuse me a bit when I went looking for them :P And thanks for the list :)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

Not a problem at all, but it did confuse me a bit when I went looking for them :P And thanks for the list :)

No worries - it's up on the first post and the creature raws should be in the file now.  I took a look at the parrot but I can't really see any reason for it to be getting upset.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Emong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »

A little messing with the parrot tells me it's the
part that it specifically doesn't like. Still no clue what's causing it, though.

EDIT: Changing the FEATHER to SKIN there fixed it apparently  :o
I still have no idea what was making it do that before, but it works now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:45:34 pm by Emong »

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 09:35:23 pm »

I made a few small changes (mostly removing AUTOMATIC from the feather and chitin reactions and adding [HORN] to the raw butchery items) and uploaded the new raws - thanks for the suggestions, rgon842.  Now, the last mod like this I made resulted in some strange bugs, mostly people showing up with 'giant cave spider fatty leggings' and the like - has anyone tried this mod and had similar issues?

Hehe, a GCS fatty... (Must refrain from making further weed jokes ;D)

I've encountered the "fatty" bug before, and it always appears with creatures using CHITIN_MATERIALS and CHITIN_TISSUES body plans. While using Deon's Genesis mod v2.5, I would sometimes get 'Giant Ant Fatty Leggings', since I had used a tannable chitin mod before yours. I further found this out on the giant ant entry:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHITIN:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:CHITIN:CHITIN_TEMPLATE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]

The mistake here was that he used STANDARD_MATERIALS/TISSUES,  removed several tissues/mats, added chitin, and used a body detail plan meant for CHITIN_MATERIALS. To fix this, I replaced the block of code above with:

Code: [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]

This fixed the "fatty" bug for me. Of course, this is not meant to throw a jab at Deon, who has create a truly genius mod that is real fun to play   ;).

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:12:39 am »

The problem with the parrots comes from the fact that both Lofn and I modify b_detail_plan_default.txt . Lofn because he adds the cleaned materials to the creatures (which I didn't for my tanning mod, to avoid stuff like worm fur - I want to keep modifications of core files to a minimum, and avoiding worm fur stuff would have made it necessary to modify all creature files), and I because I add [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:WING:ARG1:1] to the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS], which Lofn doesn't do. Without my modification, creatures simply won't have feathers (or hair, for that matter) on their wings. Which causes an error when you try to set wing color specifically.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 04:21:08 am »

Personally I felt that having to leaf through imaginary items in the stock menu was less annoying that having to edit 99% of the creature raws - laziness on my part, mostly.  How does your tanning mod work?  I was under the impression that you had to add a material to a creature in order to reference it as a LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT in the reactions.

Also, I didn't know about the feathers; I might add that myself, it's strange that it isn't included in vanilla.
Also known as Zuhayr.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4