Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshops for a total noob.  (Read 1265 times)

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
Workshops for a total noob.
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:13:41 am »

I, am a noob, so I am sorry for this. :( But, I want to create some custom workshops. I've dug a little through this forum, and quite a bit through the wiki, and so far am still clueless. The guides I've found on the wiki seem to just dive right in, and left me confused.

So. Could anyone point me to some helpful/useful resources for making workshops, or give me a simple guide? :( It'd be especially helpful if those resources included how to add new items, since I'm thinking of making a crematorium with urns to build, among other useful things.

And while I'm at it, what is everyone's opinion on the limits of modding such things before it turns from "useful but balanced" into "cheating"? :-X  :-\

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshops for a total noob.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:45:36 am »

As long as the added benefit is countered by a higher cost, I think it's not a cheat. For example, if you're making urns out of a wooden log, and dwarves are getting auto-incinerated, that might be considered a cheat. But if you're making the urn out of 2-3 iron bars, and the incineration process requires Magma, that might not be a cheat.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:53:36 am »

Use this utility:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54004.0

You can paint with your mouse the tiles you want, and you can later add skills required to build it. The skill list in on the wiki.

P.S. Don't forget to add [PERMITTED_BUILDING:*Your building tag*] to the entity_default.txt to dwarves (look at the soap maker workshop for an example).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:45 am »

If you have any further questions, feel free to post on my forum guide thread. I'll try respond on that most.

The links to my guide on the wiki and forum are in my signature.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:31 am »

Thank you everyone! :D