Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]  (Read 17207 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.5b]
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 08:58:27 am »

You can make the tan_mat the same material again, such as in this scale template:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Doing so means you don't have to make a new material, but unfortunately, it also means you can't have the creature material and the tanned material have different names.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.5b]
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:07:06 am »

New version is up!  It's an extensive rewrite, though, making use of the creature variation system.  It's also rather experimental.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.7b]
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 09:26:09 am »

It's something I always wanted to make but delayed again and again. Mind if I use the system for all the scaled creatures in Genesis and give you a credit for the idea and the implementation?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 09:42:07 am »

Go right ahead.  It's intended to be built upon, and Genesis is a flagship mod, so if anything it's just as planned.

If you're willing to wait a day or so, the next update will have wool and gut thread.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 09:44:48 am »

Yeah, I don't have time to include it right now. Also I know how to make wool based on the same system :). Great job.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 10:35:50 am »

Faster update than I thought; 0.75b is up, with wool and gut thread, and two other example creatures.
Also known as Zuhayr.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 01:07:48 pm »

New version is up!  It's an extensive rewrite, though, making use of the creature variation system.  It's also rather experimental.

Regarding c_variation_tanmod:

No, seriously. I use Deon's Genesis mod, and it took me the better part of 3 hours to mod fur into every single creature that should. Using creature variations will save a lot of time and general annoyance when setting up this mod. I'm liking this new system very much! :D Keep up the good work, Lofn!

EDIT: I'll go ahead and share something I had to do for flavor:

For certain humanoid races who had the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR] (or in other words, body-covering fur), changing these to have a furry skin will mess up with actual HAIR definitions (HAIR in this sense being head hair, beards, sideburns, etc.). What I did was not add the [REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR] to these creatures, but add the FUR templates as well. On the materials descriptions section (all the way at the end of the creature entry, I copypasted the tags under [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR] and changed HAIR to FUR.

This will result in creatures with different lengths of body fur (kinda like Chewbacca) and a different length and stylization of head hair, sideburns, mustache, etc. Both types of hair will also be colored differently (brown fur and charcoal double braids, for example).

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:26:31 pm by rgon842 »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 03:22:34 am »

I'm not sure why the FURRY_SKIN tissue would alter HAIR at all, since it's a straight replacement for skin.  In the latest upload, hair isn't touched at all in the FURRED variation, except when it's applied via BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR.

In regards to flavour, though, I haven't touched the colours, lengths or styles of hair tissues, because doing so would be a rather enormous job for little immediate benefit.  Theoretically it should be as simple as changing the descriptive nouns from 'hair' to 'fur'.

My current project for tonight is to go through the vanilla raws and update them all to work with the variations.  I figure there will be more interest in this mod if it comes in a useable package!
Also known as Zuhayr.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 05:14:43 am »

New upload!  Installation is now as easy as extracting some raws into a folder, no fiddly manual editting required.  I've also included the vast majority of vanilla creature raws with the modded variations applied to them, as well as vermin with leather removed, to reduce stockpile permission clutter.
Also known as Zuhayr.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 08:31:05 am »

holy crap. this is a masterpiece.

kudos!

by the way, about the example animals,

why didn't you make a comletely new set of animals after all?

i mean, it's obvious no one wants a cat with a tough gut

all i can say is, the only downside of this mod is the cat.

we already have enough cats. we don't need more of 'em.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 08:34:13 am by BoomClap »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

holy crap. this is a masterpiece.

kudos!

by the way, about the example animals,

why didn't you make a comletely new set of animals after all?

i mean, it's obvious no one wants a cat with a tough gut

all i can say is, the only downside of this mod is the cat.

we already have enough cats. we don't need more of 'em.

I'm glad you like the mod!  As for the cat, well, 'catgut' is the material I was aiming for by adding the gut thread reaction.  I suppose I could have invented entirely new creatures, like the hoopling whargurble, but I figured simple examples would be better-understood.  In any case, I will probably be removing the example creatures from the next upload, now that all the vanilla raws are updated.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 09:47:06 am »

O_o You keep updating this before I even get it installed, as I keep getting distracted by things like uristing all my personal mods before they get out of hand ^_^.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:48 am »

I probably won't update it for a while now, if only because I've worked out all the immediately apparent bugs and now I need to wait for complaints. >_>  I've got a few other mods I should be working on anyway.
Also known as Zuhayr.

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 11:40:15 am »

I'm not sure why the FURRY_SKIN tissue would alter HAIR at all, since it's a straight replacement for skin.  In the latest upload, hair isn't touched at all in the FURRED variation, except when it's applied via BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR.

In regards to flavour, though, I haven't touched the colours, lengths or styles of hair tissues, because doing so would be a rather enormous job for little immediate benefit.  Theoretically it should be as simple as changing the descriptive nouns from 'hair' to 'fur'.

My current project for tonight is to go through the vanilla raws and update them all to work with the variations.  I figure there will be more interest in this mod if it comes in a useable package!

OK, I see. Looking once again at c_variation_tanmod, indeed the [CREATURE_VARIATION:FURRED] entry only removes normal SKIN_TEMPLATE and adds FURRY_SKIN_TEMPLATE, never touching the hair. For some odd reason, I thought that it also had the tag [CV_NEW_TAG:REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR].  :-[

Regarding flavour, this its just something of a personal project, so it's not meant to pressure you into adding features to your mod that might not be necessary. I kinda have an active imagination, so personally adding descriptors that enhance the image of dorfs and other creatures is a big plus for my enjoyment of the game :D.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to litter, refuse, and other garbage strewn about my fortress. For that reason, I modded certain things to be 'reusable' so that nothing is left rotting around. One example is that I made all types of sinew able to be converted to thread with a workshop reaction:

1. Add this to SINEW_TEMPLATE in material_default:

Code: [Select]
[SILK]
[ITEMS_SOFT]
[REACTION_CLASS:REFINE_SILK]
[REACTION_CLASS:REFINE_SINEW]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RECYCLE_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW]

2. I have a custom-made "Recycler's Workshop" building where I assign these reactions (this goes in building_custom.txt):

[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:RECYCLER_WORKSHOP]
[NAME:Recycler's Workshop]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[WORK_LOCATION:2:2]
[DIM:3:3]
[BUILD_LABOR:LEATHER]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_SHIFT_K]
[BLOCK:1:0:1:0]
[BLOCK:2:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:142:142:142]
[TILE:0:2:142:142:142]
[TILE:0:3:142:142:142]
[COLOR:0:1:2:0:0:2:0:0:2:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:2:0:0:2:0:0:2:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:2:0:0:2:0:0:2:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:142:232:142]
[TILE:1:2:232:142:232]
[TILE:1:3:142:142:142]
[COLOR:1:1:2:0:0:3:2:1:2:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:3:2:1:2:0:0:3:2:1]
[COLOR:1:3:2:0:0:2:0:0:2:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:156:232:156]
[TILE:2:2:232:142:232]
[TILE:2:3:156:142:156]
[COLOR:2:1:3:2:1:3:2:1:3:2:1]
[COLOR:2:2:3:2:1:2:0:0:3:2:1]
[COLOR:2:3:3:2:1:2:0:0:3:2:1]
[TILE:3:1:232:8:232]
[TILE:3:2:18:126:18]
[TILE:3:3:141:141:141]
[COLOR:3:1:3:2:0:6:2:0:3:2:0]
[COLOR:3:2:3:2:0:1:0:1:3:2:0]
[COLOR:3:3:2:0:1:2:0:1:2:0:1]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

3. And of course, the reaction. This goes in reaction_other.txt:

[REACTION:RECYCLE_SINEW]
[NAME:weave sinew into thread]
[BUILDING:RECYCLER_WORKSHOP:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][REACTION_CLASS:REFINE_SINEW][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RECYCLE_MAT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:THREAD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:RECYCLE_MAT][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:15000]
[SKILL:BUTCHER]

4. Add these under ENTITY:MOUNTAIN in entity_default.txt:

[PERMITTED_BUILDING:RECYCLER_WORKSHOP]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:RECYCLE_SINEW]

5. Generate a new world, then enjoy!

PS: For those already running a world, you may replace an existing reaction (I normally use the lay pewter reaction) and add the REAGENT and PRODUCT part to it. This should allow you to use the smelter for the custom reaction.

PPS: Also, if you're too lazy (or forgetful) to remember to activate the reaction everytime you have sinew around, you can put the [AUTOMATIC] tag into it, and everytime there's accessible material, a dwarf with the butcher labor enabled will grab that sinew and convert it into thread.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:57:58 am by rgon842 »

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2010, 09:42:30 pm »

sheep's child state's name is..

donkey foal.

yeah. a donkey that grows into sheep.

fix needed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4