Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]  (Read 17209 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.8b]
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2010, 10:03:47 pm »

Fixed!  I also added babies to a few other example creatures.
Also known as Zuhayr.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2010, 11:02:58 pm »

-and we need a caste for sheep.

you know. male sheeps should be called ram.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:05:11 pm by BoomClap »

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 12:07:42 am »

Hmm. I'm not getting fur from butchering cats, dogs, wildcats, furry dogs. The cleanable-fur item just dosen't seem to be appearing. Works fine for feathers and everything else, but furry creatures only give me the skin/leather.

And I get the fur items / fabrics in the embark listings, I just can't seem to make them.

Just tested a fresh install on a newly unpacked DF 31.08; in case my barely changed uristmod version screwed something up (I had tried making auto-applying creature change rules, but uristmod dosen't have the capacity to order the tags properly and CV_REMOVE_TAG didn't help...), but I'm still having this problem.

Other oddites ... piles of 6 feathers turn into one feather fabric -- that's probably reasonable. Piles of 24 wool or whatever you get from killing a sheep, turn into one thread ... that seems a little light for a whole sheep.

Oh, and you might want to check the name of feet body parts; I think I saw a pile of chicken hooves laying around. Also, I think there were eight of them, from either one or two chickens... Will test more tomorrow :)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.85b]
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 12:28:28 am »

Ah, I forgot to mention that fur isn't a distinct item now.  You tan skin for either fur OR leather, you don't get both.

The wool/feather thing is a problem with reactions and stacks, not something that I can easily solve.  Perhaps having it output multiple threads would be more appropriate.

Chicken hooves are not intended.  I really rushed the example creatures, mostly by copypasting stuff and changing some names, which is pretty bloody obvious from all these mistakes.

EDIT: I'm not seeing any chicken hooves.  Can you reproduce it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT 2: I added rams as a caste, removed wildcats and furry dogs, changed scaly alligators to swamp dragons, added minks, ermines and cave ferrets that use a new FURRED_NOLEATHER variation, and made wool produce 5 units of thread.  The new file is up on DFFD.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:27:57 am by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »

Agh! It was SHEEP hooves, not chicken. My memory was just scrambled, and for some reason I thought it was wrong when I saw it. It's still odd that they drop in piles of 8, apparently 8 hooves per sheep.

Apparently this is still two versions of the mod back, so, you may have seen that already.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fur, Hide and Feathers - a tanning mod [0.85b]
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 05:38:48 pm »

Ah, I forgot to mention that fur isn't a distinct item now.  You tan skin for either fur OR leather, you don't get both.

Do you set that somewhere or is it random? I have been testing this (it sounds awesome) and slaughtered a few dogs and a mule (starting creatures) and only got leather, no fur, but I don't see any option.

Also, what stockpiles do fur/feathers/etc go into?

Thanks,

-MB

ETA: Using Genisis mod but tried it out with the basic version just to see if that was the issue.  I did notice that with Genesis my chickens didn't drop feathers where they do in the basic (odd) but I still have had no luck actually making 'fur'.

Also, and I apologize if there are more detailed instructions somewhere, but how do you actually make things out of feathers or fur (once I manage to get it)? I have some chicken feathers in the refuse bin but don't see anywhere to make feathered [object]?

Thanks again
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:59:51 pm by Mickey Blue »

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 06:02:34 pm »

You'll need to turn off auto-tan (o-W-t i think) and then order the cleaning of fur to get fur.

Unused components show up in Refuse stockpiles, specifically the Body Parts category, so basically, you have, (corpses refuse stockpile) -> [butcher] -> (body parts refuse stockpile) -> [tanner, also shell, bone, etc crafts].

Hey, improvement idea, can we get something where we can have this happen:

fur only skin -> automatic tanning to fur
leather only skin -> automatic tanning to leather
fur-or-leather-choice-skin -> no auto tanning

?

Thanks, :)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »

Not trying to be thick I swear but you do you clean fur (or feathers)? I turned off auto-tan and they dropped off dog skin (so many dogs have no perished in my testing  :)) but what do you do after that?

Also, related, what building(s) do you use for feathers, chitin, scales, etc. 

Finally, have people had luck with this with genesis?

Thanks again!

-MB

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 06:19:58 pm »

Hmmm, Nifty. I've been pondering things like this, but hadn't gotten around to doing much about it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:53 pm »

Hey, improvement idea, can we get something where we can have this happen:

This is a good idea, and not terribly difficult.  I'll add it in a moment.

Not trying to be thick I swear but you do you clean fur (or feathers)?

Also, related, what building(s) do you use for feathers, chitin, scales, etc. 

Fur is cleaned by going to the tannery and queuing up the 'clean and tan fur' task.  Currently you may need to suspend the tanning task to make sure the skin item is free for fur-making.

Finally, have people had luck with this with genesis?

I believe Deon is cannibalizing this mod for Genesis, but at this point it won't be useable straight out of the .rar - you would need to edit all the Genesis creatures.  It won't be incompatible, but since none of Genesis' creatures use the variations they won't drop the items required for fur/feathers/etc.

Also, what stockpiles do fur/feathers/etc go into?

Before processing, refuse.  After processing, leather (or cloth, for wool and gut).

ETA: Using Genisis mod but tried it out with the basic version just to see if that was the issue.  I did notice that with Genesis my chickens didn't drop feathers where they do in the basic (odd) but I still have had no luck actually making 'fur'.

If you haven't modified the creature raws yourself and aren't using the modified vanilla raws included in the .rar, you won't be able to produce any of the new materials.  Try just extracting creature_tanmod_example.txt into your raws folder, it has a bunch of domestic creatures that use the new materials.  If they don't work then something's wrong.

Also, and I apologize if there are more detailed instructions somewhere, but how do you actually make things out of feathers or fur (once I manage to get it)? I have some chicken feathers in the refuse bin but don't see anywhere to make feathered [object]?

Raw feathers use [HORN], I believe, so you would need to use the 'decorate with horn' job to make things out of them or whatever.  It's cumbersome and silly but there's really no other way to go about it.  Processed feathers/fur/hide/chitin are all leather items and can be used accordingly.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »

Thanks for the reply! I re-tested it in the non-modded version (ASCII) and everything worked well, apparently I forgot to edit the permissions when I tried it before (Awesome mod).

I cannot get it to work right with Genesis no matter what I do but if they are updating it to work with it I'll just wait on that, let the smart people sort it out.

Once again thanks, and really cool idea, cannot wait to have some feather wearing dwarves with werewolf fur hats!

-MB

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 07:31:47 pm »

Thanks for the reply! I re-tested it in the non-modded version (ASCII) and everything worked well, apparently I forgot to edit the permissions when I tried it before (Awesome mod).

I cannot get it to work right with Genesis no matter what I do but if they are updating it to work with it I'll just wait on that, let the smart people sort it out.

Once again thanks, and really cool idea, cannot wait to have some feather wearing dwarves with werewolf fur hats!

-MB

I'm glad you like it!  I just uploaded a version with the reactions shuffled around a bit according to Star Weaver's suggestion.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:08 pm »

Awesome, I just peeked at the files and that's pretty much how I was thinking you'd be able to do that :D. Now just to throw it on my customized cave pig and this giant squirrel thing and my giant stack of mods will be about done.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2010, 11:41:30 am »

Bump!  I've been messing around with the new Adventure Mode reactions and while I don't want to upload this mess just yet I'm having a degree of success.

However, there are still some problems with material reaction classes - I assume it's a bug, because the reactions work perfectly in Dwarf mode.  Unfortunately, Adventure mode reactions also suffer from the long-standing bug that causes reactions to only produce large armour.

(We also had jaguar skin bolts and dragon eye tissue thread at one point)

The current list of options looks something like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So!  If you have anything you would like to see added, say so, and I'll put it in before the reaction bug is fixed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:15:41 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

BoomClap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

sharpen sword/axe/spears!

reagent should take sharpened stone and one waepon

and product spits out exactly same weapon with same material.

in that way, based on your skill, you may degrade or upgrade your weapon.

how's that?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4