Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Goblin camp  (Read 47664 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin camp
« on: June 19, 2010, 11:05:15 am »

Sorry if this has been said before, but I recently discovered a DF clone called "Goblin Camp".

What are your thoughts on it?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin camp
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:44:12 am »

Sorry if this has been said before, but I recently discovered a DF clone called "Goblin Camp".

What are your thoughts on it?

it's not a "DF clone" as long as it's just a youtube video…  ;)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:09:49 pm »

How is it just a video?

@xxVampirePenguinxx I've worked on this for a month. Basic pathfinding and hauling is working just fine. Goblins handle the hauling of materials to the build site, and an orc walks up to do the actual building. If theres enough goblins around all the material gets hauled pretty much at once, it doesn't need to be done one-by-one.
GenericContainer 3 days ago
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

How is it just a video?
Link you posted is definitely 'just a video'. And google provides no more info on the subject.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:22:22 pm »

The guy came and talked about his game at Something Awful.

As it happens I'm GenericContainer (youtube)/ ihalila (Twitter). I didn't post the video here mainly because it's really early days, and I didn't expect that tweet to attract much any attention. Actually the only reason I even tweeted it was because I had just recently installed TweetDeck. I have to admit I'm surprised how fast it found it's way here + the bay12 forums.

Anyway, it's great to hear all the positive comments about it, it really motivates me to continue working on Goblin Camp. I've been meaning to make a game like this for ages, then along came DF and I thought "well, that handles that", but I really haven't liked the direction it's taken. So I guess I need to make it myself if I want it done right.

Obviously it's not a game yet, it's lacking a lot of things. But the things that are implemented I've put a lot of work into. For example jobs: Priorities are in and working fine, and I've also implemented a prerequisite system where a job will wait until all it's prerequisite jobs have been successfully completed. Building a workshop is a good example, it spawns the actual 'build' job, and spawns additional prerequisite 'bring the wood logs or whatever here' jobs, and will only assign the actual build job once all of the materials have been brought to the build site.

Also I feel that getting the UI working as it should be right from the beginning is pretty crucial. I've put a lot of work into making the UI work with whatever I might think of in the future, so that I can easily add features without having to mess around with the UI code at all.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

Doesn't that sound like impaler project ?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:21:58 pm »

Not sure what impaler project is. A link would be nice, thanks!

While I admire this guy's desire for a better UI, I don't think that this game will ever be up to par with Dwarf Fortress.
He is talking about early betas when we aren't even out of the Alpha for Dwarf Fortress. A "Dwarf Fortress Alpha" clone maybe.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 05:34:23 pm »

It is very impressive and yes it has been posted before.  There is thread about it in the suggestion forum and deliberately hostile thread about it here got locked last week.

By the looks of it is progressing in a different way to DF.  Obviously it is about building, but I get the impression it's less about micromanaging the individuals.  More simplified and focused on fun like a regular rts game rather than the god game Fun of DF.
I have no idea if it is by the Impaler guy who was being a ass on these forums and but I hope it's not as that would put me off the game, which is shame as it does look very promising. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 05:41:07 pm »

The way they did the video, its like it's pointing out all the ways it differs from DF. "Buildings are not constrained to only one shape" indeed.

My thoughts:

1. It looks like a simplistic attempt at a DF clone.
2. Toady should steal their UI.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 07:47:39 pm »

That is one shiny UI......... *want*.  :o

on a more serious note: this guy can do whatever he wants, it is his game after all.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »

Calling it DF clone is a bit much, looks more like a quite simple DF-based game. There is nothing impessive there imho, but it can become quite a fun to play game if more features are added. The interface is nice, would be great to see something similar in DF, it is really nothing hard or time consuming to make a relatively nice interface. I wish the project everything good.
Wall building with mouse and some other things would be so awesome in DF.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 08:25:47 pm »

The funny thing is everything he's so proud of there in that video could easily be done in DF if toady wanted to.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:14 pm »

It's not really impressive. There is nothing demonstrating the personalities of individual goblins.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 08:41:47 pm »

We need that UI. That's some sexy stuff right there.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »

The way they did the video, its like it's pointing out all the ways it differs from DF. "Buildings are not constrained to only one shape" indeed.

My thoughts:

1. It looks like a simplistic attempt at a DF clone.
2. Toady should steal their UI.

Well, he did "steal" Toady's idea.
And I won't call it stealing, more like imitating.
Difficult is that starting with a UI means that later on, you might find yourself constrained by said UI (you never what you need until you need it).
The advantage he has is that his project look like he's trying for something similar to DF, with a different UI, so effectively he already knows what is there (namely, what is available in DF).
The difficulty are any future addition to DF that may make his control system, well, obsolete.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16