Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Goblin camp  (Read 47660 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin camp
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

^^^

I can't recall any English saying that goes for this but we have a nice one here in Czech Republic: "If you really want to beat the dog, you'll always find a stick".

I'll have to remember that.

Foot: How do you say I'm making up quotes? That's what he said. Like I said, other people can decide.

Quote from: KaelGotDwarves
"oh yeah Toady isn't doing this and doesn't listen to people but in my game"
DF doesn't have "blahblahblah" but my game  does. I'll never mention Toady by name but I'm doing all these things a  competent coder does unlike veiled reference to DF is-too-hard hurf-durf crowd complaint.

systema

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »

I can't recall any English saying that goes for this but we have a nice one here in Czech Republic: "If you really want to beat the dog, you'll always find a stick".
thats pretty good I'll have to remember that.
fits brilliantly

redhalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

DF doesn't have "blahblahblah" but my game  does. I'll never mention Toady by name but I'm doing all these things a  competent coder does unlike veiled reference to DF is-too-hard hurf-durf crowd complaint.

Even if these were true quotes, would they be untrue statements? Ayroc's just saying that what he wants in his game is a different direction than Toady's. Please explain in your own words an example of how he should express that idea in a way that doesn't offend you.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »

Not to be the odd one out, but good luck to him... I feel he will miss some of the crazy shenanigans of DF with his game, but I hope he does well enough.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:36 pm »

What's really funny is seeing all the SA crowd get so worked up in defense over their "savior" as they complain about Toady sycophants here. We'll see where Aryoc really intends to go with this. I'm willing to admit I'm wrong.

That's how I see it. Well, we'll see where it goes in time.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:08 pm »

Well he doesn't like some things in DF, so he wants to make them differently in his game, in a way that he think is better. Everyone has his own vision of how X could be done better. Nothing wrong in talking about your own vision.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Beran Senae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2010, 03:29:01 pm »

I'm willing to admit I'm wrong.

Prove it. 2 out of the 4 posts above yours on this page were people calling you out on the most obvious way you were wrong, will you admit it?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2010, 03:31:51 pm »

Prove it. 2 out of the 4 posts above yours on this page were people calling you out on the most obvious way you were wrong, will you admit it?
Aryoc hasn't proven to me that he's not just some other sucker looking to ride DF's popularity while making veiled disparaging comments about the game and it's creator.

Like I said, if he proves me wrong then I'll admit it. But that requires a statement from him and proof through his work and dedication to his game.

That'll take time.

Also, the SA thread is hilariously cute.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:33:59 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2010, 03:34:01 pm »

Well he doesn't like some things in DF, so he wants to make them differently in his game, in a way that he think is better. Everyone has his own vision of how X could be done better. Nothing wrong in talking about your own vision.

If it turns out good, that's cool.  Right now, though, my main hope for this project is that it'll provide Toady with some healthy competition, and help him realize that maintaining a usable UI is worth it.

redhalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2010, 03:35:49 pm »

Even if these were true quotes, would they be untrue statements? Ayroc's just saying that what he wants in his game is a different direction than Toady's. Please explain in your own words an example of how he should express that idea in a way that doesn't offend you.

KaelGotDwarves: Are you avoiding a valid request?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2010, 03:38:58 pm »

This "Say uncle!" nonsense is uncalled for.

jvempire

• Bay Watcher
  • Row Row, Fight da British
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2010, 03:40:20 pm »

Aryoc hasn't proven to me that he's not just some other sucker looking to ride DF's popularity while making veiled disparaging comments about the game and it's creator.

Like I said, if he proves me wrong then I'll admit it. But that requires a statement from him and proof through his work and dedication to his game.

That'll take time.
He doesn't have to prove anyone and you don't need to blow this out of proportions. It's a game idea inspired by DF, and he set off to do it. This will not "run Toady out of business", because people can like two games of the same "genre" at the same time.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2010, 03:43:09 pm »

Quote from: redhalo

Quote from: myself
Are we in agreement that you can make criticism of a game without the thinly disguised "I'm making a panacea to solve all your problems (unlike that guy), here play my game".

See what I posted about Impaler. Same shit, different person.

I posted it even before the question was asked.

Like I mentioned earlier. I'm not offended, the whole thing strikes me as impotent e-penis screaming "Look at my game! It's just like DF but it'll be better, I promise!"

That's just my opinion and no way related to anyone else or the collected view of this forum. Happy?

Are you going to keep hounding me over my personal opinion? I guess that's normal to do that to strangers on the internet nowadays.

Anyhow, I'm out of this thread, because my presence/opinion raises butthurt.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2010, 03:50:12 pm »

If you don't see the passive aggressive jabs at DF in Ayroc's posts, then you really need to get out more.

However, we can't be sure whether it's calculated or just some kid basking in his 15 minutes of fame and telling people what they want to hear.  The "refutations" of the quotes Kael found tend to paint a picture of bitter people on the other forum being like "tell us how your game is gonna be better than DF!" and ayroc is gleefully spooning them the sugar.

We may be jumping the gun by getting angry at the guy, but it's a natural response given the situation.

I think the real problem is neither him nor the DF fanboys, but all the folks jumping in with completely irrelevant comments in an attempt to be impartial peacemakers.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »

If it turns out good, that's cool.  Right now, though, my main hope for this project is that it'll provide Toady with some healthy competition, and help him realize that maintaining a usable UI is worth it.

My main hope is he might actually create a game Toady would enjoy playing. That would be the most awesome gift and tribute to Toady One, I think.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16