Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 127237 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2010, 03:38:02 am »

Wait shit the unkillable creatures still arent fixed in this release? that was pretty much my only beef with the new version.
Same here.. I just can't go back to 40d, and can't play 2010 if there's a chance of my fort grinding to a halt as a result of a single forgotten beast made of ash.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2010, 03:48:03 am »

Newsflash: "unkillable" forgotten beasts are only unkillable by soldiers/traps. Try using your mind! (Pitfalls, caveins, obsidian... etc..) I'm having a log of fun setting up a system that can deal with any creature the world sends my way.... I'm considering making a repeater design that can kill all sorts of demons as well ;)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2010, 04:29:39 am »

The bug fix was released/implemented already, yes?

I switched over to .08 and Underdark, and so far I've had one crash every 10 minutes, when I've never seen a crash in DF before, ever. I can't tell what it is.

xDarkz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2010, 04:40:04 am »

-- Win! I've already donated but now I want to donate some more!
Keep at it Toady.
You're freaking BEAST!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2010, 04:42:05 am »

Soo.... do we get Adventurer mode updates within the year?  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2010, 05:03:36 am »

Newsflash: "unkillable" forgotten beasts are only unkillable by soldiers/traps. Try using your mind! (Pitfalls, caveins, obsidian... etc..) I'm having a log of fun setting up a system that can deal with any creature the world sends my way.... I'm considering making a repeater design that can kill all sorts of demons as well ;)

I can't believe how every time someone is frustrated about a terribly unbalanced or broken aspect of the game, there will be someone who tells them: "It's a feature and it's your fault you can't deal with it." Bravo, IronValley.

EDIT: And yeah, when Toady has written at the beginning of the month he was going to fix the military, I hoped he would fix the combat first, not the soap and cooking.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:05:40 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2010, 05:07:38 am »

Soo.... do we get Adventurer mode updates within the year?  ;D

God, I hope so. It's going to be awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:51 am »

EDIT: And yeah, when Toady has written at the beginning of the month he was going to fix the military, I hoped he would fix the combat first, not the soap and cooking.

Not to imply that combat changes aren't urgent, but the soap problem was a highly unpredictable (from the player's standpoint) crash, and therefore worth fixing quickly.  The cooking bug was stickied in the tracker because it had attracted a lot of duplicate reports.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2010, 05:23:00 am »

Not to imply that combat changes aren't urgent, but the soap problem was a highly unpredictable (from the player's standpoint) crash, and therefore worth fixing quickly.  The cooking bug was stickied in the tracker because it had attracted a lot of duplicate reports.
Ohh you cant use some arrow's. Big deal... Just pour magma on it or use Axe Lords to chop them to death or something.

Fix more important bugs than the whole Archer Firing issues.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2010, 05:29:54 am »

Ohh you cant use some arrow's. Big deal... Just pour magma on it or use Axe Lords to chop them to death or something.

I think I'm gonna start my personal Bay12 Hall of Fame.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2010, 05:31:37 am »

Will the "F" be replaced with an "Sh"?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2010, 05:35:32 am »

Maybe you should just keep playing old versions since you don't want any bugs to be fixed.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2010, 05:54:12 am »

Maybe you should just keep playing old versions since you don't want any bugs to be fixed.

Another brilliant answer, good job.

Don't get me wrong, I do like bugs being fixed. For example, making the surgery work made me very happy because it means the several useless dwarves who had been lying in the hospital for a couple of years could get back to work. I also understand crashes and major annoyances (message spam) need to be fixed. It's just that two months after the initial release combat is just as broken as it was. I hoped it would get more attention - it's definitelly more important to get the combat right than to fix melting food or dwarves creating bad quality equipment due to tiredness.

All of this is of course debatable, but I don't like the arrogant way how some of you mock anyone who seems to complain or be frustrated about something. Mockery is no debate. It just paints Bay12 Forums as a bunch of elitists.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Urist McPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2010, 05:59:24 am »

Another brilliant answer, good job.

Don't get me wrong, I do like bugs being fixed. For example, making the surgery work made me very happy because it means the several useless dwarves who had been lying in the hospital for a couple of years could get back to work. I also understand crashes and major annoyances (message spam) need to be fixed. It's just that two months after the initial release combat is just as broken as it was. I hoped it would get more attention - it's definitelly more important to get the combat right than to fix melting food or dwarves creating bad quality equipment due to tiredness.

All of this is of course debatable, but I don't like the arrogant way how some of you mock anyone who seems to complain or be frustrated about something. Mockery is no debate. It just paints Bay12 Forums as a bunch of elitists.
Bugs should always be fixed in order of severity (barring smaller ones that are *easy* fixes), so that the game is playable. Bugs with a straightforward workaround shouldn't be high priority; I'd rather have no marksdwarves then a crashing game.

At the end of the day, we're playing a game in Alpha. This means its buggy, and subject to extreme changes. Trust in Toady, he hasn't let anyone down thus far, and I doubt he intends to.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:54 am »

I can't believe how every time someone is frustrated about a terribly unbalanced or broken aspect of the game, there will be someone who tells them: "It's a feature and it's your fault you can't deal with it." Bravo, IronValley.

There a dwarfy in game solution that doesn't rely on exploitation or cheating and this is a broken aspect of the game?

Have you not watched a single big monster movie? Where the soldiers cant do jack shit again the big monsters instead they have to use a novel solution in order to subdue the beast?

It would be a broken aspect, that any means in game means cannot deal with the situation. It is not however broken because your preferred solution doesn't work.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37